Tesco cafe 'free drink' promotion

Options
SevenOfNine
SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 23 March 2018 at 7:41PM in Praise, vent & warnings
When is a Tesco free drink promotion NOT a free drink promotion unless you're a staff member? ..........When you live near the Tesco superstore like I do! :mad:

Standing in the cafe queue I notice the Tesco security guy in front of me has a bright red Tesco flyer advertising "free drink with this leaflet". Sure enough, he exchanges it for a free coffee.

Whilst sitting in the cafe I watch a couple of other staff members come in (wearing their Tesco fleeces), exchanging leaflets for drinks. Then a 3rd one goes up to where the food is being cooked has a chat & a laugh & they hand her 3 or 4 leaflets to take away.

I'm thinking perhaps you have to be a customer buying FOOD, not just a drink, or a staff member, in order to be given the promo leaflets.

But in the 30 minutes or so we were sitting there, not one single CUSTOMER had, or was given, a freebie flyer regardless of what they bought. As it was the cooking area that clearly had them, I'd imagined I'd see them going out with the trays of food, but not so.

Next day I find myself in a smaller local store, I spy a couple of leaflets discarded on a caf! table, so I snaffle them & go & get a couple of coffee's, no problem. They even give me 2 more leaflets, they have a pile right next to the till! I gather up a few more discarded ones as the promotion is running until next Tuesday (27th, about 2 weeks altogether).

I use these leaflets over a few days back in the superstore caf!, they accept them but STILL can't be seen to be giving any out. Each time I find myself in the smaller store caf! swapping them for free coffee I'm given more, each time I use the superstore they don't give any to anyone, yet are clearly participating in the promotion.

I decide to FaceBook message Tesco, but they can't give me a clear answer, just claiming that both stores should be giving out the leaflets.

Granted, we've done quite well out of this for several days, making up for all the Tesco caf! customers who are completely clueless about there even being a free drink promotion. :rotfl::rotfl:

It's not often you get a freebie so praise to Tesco for that, but vent because there 'promotion' isn't much of a promotion if you try to hide it from the customers.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    When is a Tesco free drink promotion NOT a free drink promotion unless you're a staff member? ..........When you live near the Tesco superstore like I do! :mad:

Standing in the caf! queue I notice the Tesco security guy in front of me has a bright red Tesco flyer advertising "free drink with this leaflet". Sure enough, he exchanges it for a free coffee.

Whilst sitting in the caf! I watch a couple of other staff members come in (wearing their Tesco fleeces), exchanging leaflets for drinks. Then a 3rd one goes up to where the food is being cooked has a chat & a laugh & they hand her 3 or 4 leaflets to take away.

I'm thinking perhaps you have to be a customer buying FOOD, not just a drink, or a staff member, in order to be given the promo leaflets.

But in the 30 minutes or so we were sitting there, not one single CUSTOMER had, or was given, a freebie flyer regardless of what they bought. As it was the cooking area that clearly had them, I'd imagined I'd see them going out with the trays of food, but not so.

Next day I find myself in a smaller local store, I spy a couple of leaflets discarded on a caf! table, so I snaffle them & go & get a couple of coffee's, no problem. They even give me 2 more leaflets, they have a pile right next to the till! I gather up a few more discarded ones as the promotion is running until next Tuesday (27th, about 2 weeks altogether).

I use these leaflets over a few days back in the superstore caf!, they accept them but STILL can't be seen to be giving any out. Each time I find myself in the smaller store caf! swapping them for free coffee I'm given more, each time I use the superstore they don't give any to anyone, yet are clearly participating in the promotion.

I decide to FaceBook message Tesco, but they can't give me a clear answer, just claiming that both stores should be giving out the leaflets.

Granted, we've done quite well out of this for several days, making up for all the Tesco caf! customers who are completely clueless about there even being a free drink promotion. :rotfl::rotfl:

It's not often you get a freebie so praise to Tesco for that, but vent because there 'promotion' isn't much of a promotion if you try to hide it from the customers.
    I go to Tesco to shop, buy what I need and get the hell out of there as fast as possible.
    Even if they were giving away free breakfasts, I'd not stop to get a leaflet. :D

You - and Tesco staff - are more than welcome to my free drink.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Did you ask anyone for a leaflet?

As above, this is nice if you are planning to have coffee in Tesco anyway but a free Tesco coffee is certainly not something that would accuse anyone to alter their plans. It's worse than you get at home and saves you, what, twopence?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, this is nice if you are planning to have coffee in Tesco anyway but a free Tesco coffee is certainly not something that would accuse anyone to alter their plans. It's worse than you get at home and saves you, what, twopence?

A coffee in my local Tesco is £2+
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    A coffee in my local Tesco is £2+

Yes, but the point is if you are not planning to have a coffee in Tesco but to have one when you get home, you are only saving the twopence the one at home would cost you.

If you don't want a coffee at all then it's arguable what you are saving.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Yes, but the point is if you are not planning to have a coffee in Tesco but to have one when you get home, you are only saving the twopence the one at home would cost you.

If you don't want a coffee at all then it's arguable what you are saving.
    Time - which is more important to me than a free coffee. ;)
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

You think you would save time by having a coffee in a Tesco cafe rather than going home and having one there? How? You'd be standing waiting for it rather than making it, that's all.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    You think you would save time by having a coffee in a Tesco cafe rather than going home and having one there? How? You'd be standing waiting for it rather than making it, that's all.
    I think you may have misunderstood my last post.
    Or I've not been clear.
    ^^^^ This means I'd save time by not having a free coffee - which I'd probably not want in the first place.
    I go to Tesco to shop, buy what I need and get the hell out of there as fast as possible.
    Even if they were giving away free breakfasts, I'd not stop to get a leaflet. :D

You - and Tesco staff - are more than welcome to my free drink.
    ^^^^ Pretty clear that I'm not interested in a free coffee.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I think you may have misunderstood my last post.
    Or I've not been clear.

^^^^ This means I'd save time by not having a free coffee - which I'd probably not want in the first place.

^^^^ Pretty clear that I'm not interested in a free coffee.

Ah, fair enough. Apologies.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Ah, fair enough. Apologies.
    No sweat. ;)
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Saves us £4.50. The superstore is actually our 'corner shop', 10 minutes stroll there to get our newspaper, the cafe isn't inside the store but opposite inside the complex.

We stop for coffee either in Tesco cafe, Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero or M&S cafe - all 5 are there. Who wants to spend their life tearing about like a blue ar sed fly. Chill out, stroll home, plenty of time. Nice walk far nicer than sitting at home boiling a kettle.

Yes, I asked where the leaflets were, told "we hand them out", but unable to actually "hand any out"!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure