How can a Sky install be so hard

Options
Good morning all
Approx 6 weeks ago, I moved house into a standard 3 bedroom semi with a garage on the side. The kitchen is on the rear of the property and is a standard build where the kitchen has a flat roof sticking out about 3 feet.

So, the story goes, Ive requested Sky move our services from my old house into the new one.......Broadband, phone line, Sky Tv but now with multi room for our bedroom.

On the day of move, we managed to connect our old box to the original dish so could watch Tv........for the next 3 weeks we have battled to get Sky/BT out to fix the phone line/broadband as there was no signal, we are now on a temp line until BT do a more perm fix.
The multi room is a whole different subject. We were originally told by the engineer that he could fit multi room due to the fact he had been booked to complete 1 unit which was the down stairs box, but left the equipment for me to install the second in our bedroom. Not happy with that, I called Sky and said im not trained, insured and don't have the equipment to complete. After several emails with some Executive support team, I am told they will not install due to having to stand on a flat roof.......but they stood on the same roof to put the dish up, it doesn't make sense. The required position for the drilled hole is no more than 4 ft from the dish, on the exact same flat roof !! Whats the difference............Im getting so sick and tired with Sky trying to fob me off...

Im at the point of cancelling, anyone got any advise or more senior contact details to escalate within Sky.

Cheers

Comments

• talktalktobt
    Options
    I am told they will not install due to having to stand on a flat roof.......but they stood on the same roof to put the dish up

It may not have been sky that had installed the dish but a separate contractor. Either way, they are told not to stand on flat roofs due to the structure being unknown.

Put in writing that you will engage a non-sky installer to install the multi-room if they would be willing to cover the cost in the form of a credit to your bill. That normally works.

In terms of your line, although you pay Sky for it and they provide the service it is BT Openreach that provide the line and the network. Sky contact them on your behalf, and as much as Sky may want to help, Openreach is a law unto themselves.
  • rac060804
    Options
    Thank you for your response.......it was Sky that changed the dish over to accept the multi room.....so surely he should have made reference to not being allowed to stand on the flat roof at the start.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Get an independent satellite installer to run the cable from the dish for you.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • rac060804
    Options
    I can do it myself, but Im sick of the false promises and lies from Sky and the blatant disregard for any kind of customer service....
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Do you actually want Sky tv or would Freesat be an alternative?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rac060804 wrote: »
    I can do it myself
    So do it or cancel, what's the point of any more unnecessary hassle? I believe if you truly wanted the Multi-Screen you would have had it by now.

As for the 'phone line, Sky can't really hurry BT Openreach-it's a separate company.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    "not trained, insured and don't have the equipment to complete"

so how you going todo it then?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • parttimeskint
    Options
    Because of ambulance chasers, people always looking for compensation for the tiniest thing, and changes in health and safety legislation Sky, Virgin, BT, and many of the other service companies have changed policies in recent years and no longer do things that would have been done previously.

Sky wont drill holes internally any more. I imagine its because of claims by people looking to have the rooms redecorated at Sky's expense after an install. They wont go on roofs with out a special team because of claims against roof damage and health and safety. They won't stand on garages or extensions, like the one on your kitchen, due to health and safety.

You do have a few options. You can get a scaffolding erected over the flat part which is expensive, or get an independent engineer who doesn't have the same standards or restrictions which is cheaper, you can fit it yourself, or cancel it.

Just about every second post on MSE seems to be someone wanting compensation for something. This has created the culture and so we have to live with the consequences off that and, in the long run, that will mean more cost or frustration.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Just about every second post on MSE seems to be someone wanting compensation for something. This has created the culture and so we have to live with the consequences off (SIC) that and, in the long run, that will mean more cost or frustration.

I wholeheartedly agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport