Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Lodger on visa and electroral roll
    • #1
    • 12th Apr 12, 10:26 PM
    Lodger on visa and electroral roll 12th Apr 12 at 10:26 PM
    Heres the situation - I share my house with lodgers. One of them is an indian national who had a student visa and now a work visa, and works full time

    She pays no utility bills or tax here as she is effectively a houseguest (Her lodgings ie 'rent' include all bills and I pay the Council Tax on the property as I am the owner)

    The council are aware she is here as I gave the names of my lodgers to the local Council when they moved in (They moved in within weeks of each other) as I had to unapply for single persons tax discount.

    The lodger in question wants to improve her credit rating, which is very poor at the moment, according to experian. This is, apparently for three reasons

    - Little to no credit history
    - No utility bills (Though she can provide bank statements as proof of address so this is OK i think)
    - Not on the electoral roll

    The fact she is not a UK national may be a factor too, but its none of my business. She has asked me if she is registered here with the council, as Experian told her this would improve her credit rating. I told her about the council thing.

    Really she needs to be on the Electoral Roll does she not? Can a non-UK resident be on the Electoral Roll (But presumably not be allowed to vote)?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

63Posts Today

3,261Users online

Martin's Twitter