IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Fined for tax exempt vehicle?!!

Options

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    15_MILLION wrote: »

So - it is clear to me, that since the DVLA said they'd send the documents out - and then failed to do so (they also failed to send any vehicle tax reminder letter - and failed to send a 'last chance' reminder letter') then we cannot and should not be held responsible for their own administrative errors!

These are all 'nice to have' but the DVLA are not obliged to provide them, it is entirely your fault as it's up to you to understand your obligations regarding buying VED. It's part and parcel of owning a vehicle.

You've not chance of getting the money back or any 'compensation' in my opinion. Typical claim culture nowadays, everything is someone else's fault.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When you purchased the car you would have been given the small green strip of paper from the V5C. You should have immediately gone online (or to the Post Office) and applied for VED.

This problem is of your making and you have had a fine for not complying with the rules.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    When you purchased the car you would have been given the small green strip of paper from the V5C. You should have immediately gone online (or to the Post Office) and applied for VED.

Applied for a vehicle licence, the OP's car is exempt from paying VED.
  • 15_MILLION
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Did you receive a V5 (AKA Log Book) in your name when you purchased the car?

Thanks for your reply Johno,

yes we did we receive the V5 in drivers name, a short time after submitting the small green stip of paper that patman mentions, re: change of owner.. that small strip was sent immediately upon change of ownership.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

yes we did we receive the V5 in drivers name, a short time after submitting the small green stip of paper that patman mentions, re: change of owner.. that small strip was sent immediately upon change of ownership.

Then unless you moved address shortly afterwards I find it very strange that you didn't receive any of the letters telling you the vehicle was untaxed and that you needed to remedy the situation.
  • 15_MILLION
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    These are all 'nice to have' but the DVLA are not obliged to provide them, it is entirely your fault as it's up to you to understand your obligations regarding buying VED. It's part and parcel of owning a vehicle.

You've not chance of getting the money back or any 'compensation' in my opinion. Typical claim culture nowadays, everything is someone else's fault.

tykesi.. sorry, but I do not agree with you. The DVLA were contacted immediately and it is their job to inform drivers how the system works, is it not? Why do you expect everyone to understand the road tax system by default? Surely part of the DVLA's job is to inform drivers how the system works if and when asked. We understood our 'obligation' that we had to inform the DVLA. We were not trying to dodge the road tax, or our 'responsibilities'

As for your point about compensation culture and me trying to blame others for my own inaction, I find that pretty offensive: To expand a little: In the job that I have, I would compensate any client if I made any error, since I expect to provide a brilliant service. By the same token, I would like the DVLA to compensate me for their own maladministration. I do not expect compensation.
  • 15_MILLION
    15_MILLION Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2015 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Then unless you moved address shortly afterwards I find it very strange that you didn't receive any of the letters telling you the vehicle was untaxed and that you needed to remedy the situation.

Johno, I find it very strange also. That log book went to our new address, we received no other correspondence.

..perhaps what may have happened, thinking about it: is the DVLA sent any VED letters to our old address, despite them knowing we had moved and sending the log book to our new address.
  • 15_MILLION
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »

This problem is of your making and you have had a fine for not complying with the rules.

Thanks for your reply patman.. to clarify, that small green strip of paper was sent straight away, the DVLA were called straight away. I understand your point about going online or to the post office, but isn't calling the DVLA and dealing with them directly sufficient? We did apply for VED, they didn't send the paperwork, or any paperwork, other than the new log book in drivers name.. We were not trying to not comply with any rules, we were trying to abide by the rules. So I don't think the clamp or the fine or the hassle of trying to resolve the situation can be justified by the DVLA, that's all.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2015 at 12:52PM
    Options

A new keeper does not send anything to the DVLA. You keep the green V5C/2 and use it to apply for the vehicle licence. That procedure hasn't changed since the abolition of the paper disc.

The 'paperwork' needed to apply for the licence would be the your V5C, which apparently they did send. You only need the number from the V5C if it is in your name, or from the V5C/2 if you are a new keeper, to apply for the licence.
  • 15_MILLION
    Options
    A new keeper does not send anything to the DVLA. You keep the green V5C/2 and use it to apply for the vehicle licence. That procedure hasn't changed since the abolition of the paper disc.

Thanks Rover Driver, my OH must have done that then, she did call the DVLA to sort out VED however and the logbook in her name was received soon after..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure