Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    I've had three emails from different beauty companies today doing spend X for our free super value goodie bag, alll in the space of half an hour. Don't they know I am trying to be good?

Unsubscribe button?
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done indie on your weight loss and lifestyle changes :T it is difficult to keep up with healthy choices when you don't have as much control over what's on offer, I've been snacking on cereal bars to escape the coffee shop temptations when it would be easy to escape the builders that way! And I agree that a champagne festival with no free champagne, not even one glass, sounds a bit rubbish. Are you going to see Shed Seven on their latest tour?? My indie music-loving friend has bought a ticket to that one off gig in August that I can't make - sniff!

Thank you as usual for your inspirational posts LL, makeover March sounds like a great idea! I've set myself the target of losing 7lb by the end of April; not where I wanted to be weight-wise but I just don't have the opportunity to exercise more and eat as healthily as I'd like at the moment.

Yes, I took some of my own snacks with me but it was little things like a lot of the seminar rooms not having water in and drinking too much coffee which made me feel really out of sorts as well as limited lunch options. Not going away again till Easter and will try to prepare a bit better for that - we get a packed lunch on our hiking trip but I might just take some of those John West tuna pouches and good oatcakes to have instead of sandwiches to keep the carb content down. I've asked for gluten free before, and that's fine when they do a salad but some places get gluten free bread which is generally foul and as am not gluten intolerant, just trying to avoid carbs, it isn't really an improvement over a regular sandwich. I take my own snacks rather than have the ones provided - chocolate, crisps and regular cereal bars (i.e. the ones loaded with sugar etc. I would rather have a protein ball that fills me up more), though there's usually one piece of fruit which is ok.

Not planning to go to see Shed Seven. I was always more of a Bluetones fan, though I did see Shed Seven and the Bluetones both supporting Ocean Colour Scene last summer.

Am gutted the Killers are playing Hyde Park the day I travel back from a hiking trip in Scotland. Not realistic to get back in time for anything other than the evening slot and as it's a day thing with lots of support the tickets are just silly money to only see the headline. All I have booked at the moment gigwise is Starshaped in August.
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am still reading along with everyone's fabbing and enjoying all the tips. The healthy eating is going relatively well, have lost 4lbs so far and am happy with a slower loss rate as it's a case of breaking the habit of comfort eating more than anything. Think it helps that I am enjoying my cooking again and experimenting more with new recipes, with trying to avoid carbs it means more room for veg and we are averaging 6-7 portions a day. My aim is to have dropped a full 2 stones by the end of this year and be in size 10-12.

Cutting down on carbs definitely seems to be the best way to up the veg content. I can't imagine how you could get to the ten portions a day they are now suggesting we need whilst regularly having things like cereal, bread and pasta - need a good amount of veg or fruit (mainly the former) at every meal.
    maman wrote: »
    Hope you're pleased with the sonic brush sukey. You got that pack at a very good price. I can't really say it's made an amazing difference yet but I'm sure taking the time to pamper helps.

Glad to hear the healthy eating and weightloss are going well for you both Lainey and indie. Although we know it's good for health to eat well, it's motivating when the results show on the scales too. You're right about taking it slowly Lainey. IMO it needs a long term change in how we eat (and drink:o) to maintain a healthy weight not a crash course and then back to the junk. I'm all for having a treat but I think to many people eat junk food on a daily basis so it's become the norm.

I have a clarisonic but I have to admit I am not sure it really improved my skin noticeably and I haven't been as diligent as using as a result. I maybe was overcautious getting the sensitive brush. I have some fine broken veins in my cheeks that I didn't want to aggravate, but I think my t zone needs something less delicate to clear the pores out.

The scales told me this morning I have just lost enough to be the lightest I've been whilst living in London - and it's nearly ten years ago I moved here. :j. The last time I was about this low was when I got home from my last juice detox - and that's not a sustainable way of living.

I still have a long journey to get back down to a really healthy weight and then maintain it as I was overweight when I moved here, but it's a good milestone. Am a stone and three quarters below the weight I was when I turned 40 and I can really see the difference when I look back at photos from then.

The really positive thing is what I am doing feels more sustainable. I am now enjoying preparing my own food where I just used to see it as a chore and I don't get crazy hungry like I used to when I was eating more carbs and just trying to cut down on portions etc. I don't feel like I am really depriving myself either. I think I am finally feeling like the negative impact of being overweight is far worse than any sacrifice on the cakes / sweets front. Though if you told me I couldn't have a little dark chocolate that might just be a sacrifice too far. Fortunately the plan allows me that :-)

I've been to Ceroc tonight. Have stepped up to doing the intermediate class now as have done a couple of beginner workshops as well as the evening classes. Really enjoying it, today was rather stressful at work but by the time did the class and an hour of freestyle after I had a skip in my step again. Got another workshop this weekend too. Am sad that I can't make my regular class the next couple of weeks and trying to work out which night and venue to go to instead. I really want to do the things I am doing instead - Dreamgirls at the theatre and a seminar on the psychology of weight loss. I went to another seminar last night, on the neuroscience of powerful habits which was really interesting and gave me some more tips on how to make lasting change. Remind me and I will say more about that another time - just spotted the time and it's definitely past my bed time.

Hope the rest of the week goes well for all of you xx
  • Time_to_Change_2
    Options
    Hi Ladies
    I hope you don't mind me joining this thread late into 2017. I read throughout 2016 and wrote a post at the end of 2016 with all the intentions of changing! 2016 was an awful year and I was ready for a new start. Unfortunelt I got bogged down with the daily grime of life and 3 months later I'm looking back thinking I did nothing and it gets me down!

So today I have spent this morning skimming through the posts (just the last 7 pages of 29 to read now!!). However getting back reading this thread has started a little fire inside to get back to it.

I have sorted my Cosmetic/lotions drawers and I have so much that I can use - many of them premium brands that I have just put away for special use - but why when they could be making me feel better now!

So im 2 stones overweight yet look about 4. People tell me I don't look overweight bu I know they're being kind, Im a size 18 but its all around the belly area, I have many rolls and I cant seem to dress for my shape.

Im not currently working and I think I'm getting a bit lonely and in a rut of daily housework and cleaning up after people - I often think of getting to the gym but think oh I could get the kitchen tidy instead etc etc so don't end up going and then feel rubbish!

I have a very strong Sugar addiction with fizzy drinks and id love to get off them so I will start to drink water from today - can I add cordial? I hate plain water.

So my resolution is to post regularly and to keep up the momentum that you all seem to give everyone on here (thank you), I'm hoping this will inspire me to get out doing exercise and eating better.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies and Welcome Time to Change

Shoulder still bad so can't type much so sorry if I don't Acknowledge you all personally. I am still reading each day though.

I have just spent most of the morning sorting out paperwork, buying travel insurance, doing my banking etc. The weather is lovely again so I'm just off for a walk.

Did a good walk yesterday and restarted some yoga and a mini workout with small hand weights. Need to build up slowly, a bit extra each day.

See you all later ......
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Time to change why not try chilling a jug of water with sliced grapefruit, lime or orange in, it tastes nicer than plain tap water ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome timetochange.:wave:

Floss wrote: »
    Time to change why not try chilling a jug of water with sliced grapefruit, lime or orange in, it tastes nicer than plain tap water ;)

I'd echo that. I drink a glass of squash (grapefruit High Juice) with breakfast each morning in place of fruit juice. Some people have issues with 'no added sugar' drinks but I have so little sweetener that it doesn't bother me. Another thing I drink is hot water with a splash of lemon or lime juice. Other than that I'm happy with tap water although I seem to drink more from a sports bottle rather than a glass.

Great news about reaching your 'lowest weight in 10 years' target indie. I eat carbs but only things like potatoes, pasta and rice with meals and then cooked plain not deep fried or anything like that. I limit myself to a single slice of wholemeal bread a day and if I have cereal (porage of plain Puffed Wheat) then I don't have the bread. I have loads of vegetables (not a big fruit fan) but to reach 10 a day I'd have to start snacking between meals and that's not something I want do. I think you're wise to plan ahead and you're so right that it has to become an ingrained habit to effect lasting change.

It's an absolutely glorious day here, warm and sunny. I've been out for a walk this morning and then we stopped for a coffee in the sunshine. It was one of those organised health walks which I've been on once before. timetochange, it's so easy to just potter about at home and end up not achieving what you want. There's nothing to stop me going out for a walk any day but joining an organised one seems to help. If that's not for you then perhaps make yourself a planner and tick off your visits to the gym, walks or whatever else you plan. Sometimes seeing it written down gives a sense of achievement. That being said, although I think exercise is important (for a feel good factor if nothing else) it's what you eat and drink IMO that will get you weightloss.

I did my usual people watching while on my walk (sunny enough for Raybans today which always helps:cool:). It's amazing how the same basic clothes can look very different depending on choices. There are smart, sporty jackets and there are anoraks!:rotfl:

I don't have the 'rough' head on my Clinique brush but it does have a gentle area for cheeks etc. and a slightly rougher one for the t zone.

I'm slowly working through a load of products too and I'm definitely not keeping anything for 'best' any more. I did a light make up this morning: eyebrows (get me!), mascara, lippy and a brush over with the Bourjois Healthy Balance powder which (I think ) ruby recommended.

I washed all my make up and hair brushes yesterday too. Spring must be in the air!:D
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome back Time to Change - you could add 'no added suger' cordial to your water to make it more interesting ;)

Sorry to hear you are still in pain LL - enjoy your walk.

It is beautiful here today - went out at lunchtime and it is 17 degrees - feels like a proper Spring day at last :j

I'm all excited as my Clinique brush has just turned up so I will put it on charge tonight ready to start on my new routine tomorrow. I put a face pack (Avocado & Oatmeal from a sachet) on last night so skin is feeling good today - felt better on my skin than the last one I tried which was 'Dead Sea Minerals'. Think I will carry on with the sachets until I find one I really like.

Enjoy the lovely weather while it lasts everyone :)
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    time to change I use sparkling water and finds it tastes so much better than plain. I used to drink loads of fizzy juice and cordials but now only have once in a blue moon and tbh find they are too sweet now. Supermarket cheap version is as good as anything and at 17p if you don't like it haven't wasted much. Good luck and let us know how u get on xx
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi fabbers,

I had a 'me' day today. I had a facial and a bit of retail therapy at Westfield, which was bliss.

I've been eyeing up a dress in French Connection which I was going to buy next month, but it's currently on offer, so I was going to juggle my budget to buy it today. When I saw the dress in store, it was lovely, but too similar to another dress I have. I don't think I'll get enough wear out of it go justify the price, so I was MSE and didn't buy it.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome back Time To Change. I hardly ever drink plain water; usually have some sugar free cordial.

Chanie, I think it depends how much you like the dress. If you'd be excited to wear it and therefore wear it more often, it could be a good investment. I opted not to buy a dress recently for a similar reason; I already have two with navy backgrounds so would've preferred a different colour. I might get it later if it goes in the sale.

I have been naughty, but I don't feel any regret whatsoever. I signed up to an 8 week Pilates course under a physiotherapist. I had my assessment on Wednesday (£40) and the course itself is £80 so £10 a week, plus I have a programme to work on alone too. I did the first group session this morning and I actually really enjoyed it. I didn't find the exercises as hard as I thought I'd might, but it was all dynamic with no holding positions. I'd tried a class (twice) years ago and hated it - boring! And way too hard to maintain positions. I feel like my body isn't recovering from my workouts, and thought that Pilates might be the solution.

The really naughty bit I guess is that I signed up for the Bloody Good Life 101 course on Tuesday - that's over £500 on the credit card (interest free). In my defense I've already paid £100 of it off. :p I'm just sick of being b*tchy and reactive and I don't like who I become sometimes. When I pressed pay, I waited for the "you've made a big mistake" gut feeling to kick in and it didn't, nor has it reared it's head this week. I'm quite excited, actually. OH is less optimistic and says it'd better be worth it or he'll hunt the lady down. I ought to give him a score sheet to monitor my progress. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure