PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours

Options

Comments

• allhailthekale
    Options
    I am going to take a guess into saying you agree with cats being locked indoors all day. I disagree with that entirely but it is each to their own.

I rang 101 and they were very understanding and appreciated my issue.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Animals are absolutely not disposable but I have a kind heart to have him rehomed with people who are able to let him out as I believe it is cruel keeping cats, as hunters, locked indoors all day.

Cats are domestic pets, like dogs, rabbits or hamsters.

I would prefer to keep MY pet indoors than rehome it.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    If you believe that then that is fine. I am not disputing your beliefs at all but I think it is far crueller keeping a natural hunter locked in all day than it being able to roam around free outside.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Animals are absolutely not disposable but I have a kind heart to have him rehomed with people who are able to let him out as I believe it is cruel keeping cats, as hunters, locked indoors all day.

I would move myself before rehoming my animals. They're supposed to be for life, not till the first time they become inconvenient.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    Unfortunately I cannot just get up and leave. It is not an option for me to move right now. I understand animals are for life and I understand that. I mean, I'm a vegan, I love animals. I love my cat that much that I know he deserves a home where he has the freedom to roam around. I have seen the new family and he is having a great time. It is far more crueller to keep a cat confined into a small flat all day.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To answer your original question.

You have a 6 month tenancy agreement and therefore are legally bound to it.

You can approach the landlord and ask for an early surrender. They may agree, they may not, but if they do agree it is likely to incur fees for re advertising etc.

So, if you are adamant that you do not wish to live there you need to speak to the LL and see what arrangements they are prepared to make (if any).

You mention 'other petty things' that the neighbours complained about.

It could be, for some reason, they have 'taken against' you. If you cannot resolve these issues with your neighbours - have you spoken to them to find out the problems? - then you can ask for an early surrender or stick it out until the end of your tenancy.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    Thanks very much for not attacking me for the decision made with rehoming my cat. Okay, I will do. Thank you.
  • vqmismatch
    vqmismatch Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Was the bin general waste or recycling? A litter tray should be cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

Why food outside when the cat has food at home? Or do you think it is acceptable to lock an animal outsidr all day?

Whats wrong with locking an animal outside all day?

So long as they are not likely to cause a nusicence I fail to see the issue. Consider farm cats and dogs who live outside all year. If the cat was howling at the neighbours all day I agree it is not acceptable.

Certainly of the cats I've lived around I'd sooner have one locked permanently outside than inside. Dogs and rabbits can also be kept very well as outside pets.

Given the cat has presumably had a mixed indoor/outdoor life it sounds like the right decision has been made to rehome it.

Back to the OP I'd try and sit it out. The cat is sorted out and it may turn out to be a nice enough place to live. If not just pay up for the rest of the lease and move out.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did your Landlord agree to you having a cat? I'm surprise if that was the case that there wasn't a cap flap installed. Or could it be that you didn't tell your landlord and so couldn't put a cat flap and therefore your cat had to be outside all day long. Cat got annoyed, started meowing non stop to get in. Neighbour got tired of it and as they know your landlord called them to let them know. Landlord told you that you that your ast makes it clear you can't have pets, so you rehome the cat.

Then you try to dump a litter box (is it one of those big ones?) in general waste, wait until midnight so you are not seen, but as it happens, your neighbour is still up and see you through the window, so goes and retrieve it and place it at your door with the underlying message that you can't dump such items in that bin?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps you annoyed the neighbours by allowing your cat to !!!! in their gardens or communal gardens. I can see how that would put people's backs up.

You say that you cannot up and leave at the moment as that is not an option for you. Is that only because you currently have a fixed term contract or is there some other reason? If it's only down to having a fixed term contract then either try to negotiate an early surrender or front it out until 27th June.

If you want to read more about ending an AST see G_M's guide to Ending/Renewing as AST.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure