Our Everest nightmare

Options
Hello all.

We came across MSE through Google searches about Everest and their cowboy antics, as we have suffered pretty badly at their hands over the past 3 years or so and thought you may be interested in our experience of Everest.

They were so bad that we ended up creating a website detailing everything that has happened to us, but in a nutshell we experienced heavy leaks (one was like someone pouring a cup of water down the inside of the window), and water pooling near electrical outlets.

If that wasn't bad enough, 2 glass roof panels (the inside sheet on each) separately crashed down on us, narrowly missing me as I leapt out the way. Everest refused or were utterly unable to put matters right and after the second panel collapse we were advised by our lawyer to get a replacement roof fitted for our safety's sake.

This (and damaged items in the roof collapses) cost us £8k but Everest were unwilling to pay for it, and can not be sued due to the clever way they construct their "company" in Jersey (where we live). Even a lawyer we employed couldn't find a way to sue them to recover the costs. Needless to say, their support was non-existent throughout and sadly our so-called "Trading Standards" department don't want to know, claiming their remit is "Weights and Measures" (is this normal in Trading Standards on the UK mainland?).

Having tried every avenue possible, we have now resorted to putting a large sign on our house advertising our website. I can't link that here being new, quite understand the stance on that, but have put a sort of link in my signature, hope that's OK.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be most welcome.

Tim Clayton.

Comments

• Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    As much as I sympathise you cant promote personnel or business sites on here that belong to yourself even in signature. Might be wise to remove the url in your signature :) thanks
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Two questions;

1. Why don't you try suing the individual rather than the company (or non-company) ?

2. If that ails, why didn't you take the 1k offe if you have been advised by a lawyer that you are screwed?
  • timcclayton
    Options
    Lube wrote: »
    As much as I sympathise you cant promote personnel or business sites on here that belong to yourself even in signature. Might be wise to remove the url in your signature :) thanks

Hi Lube.
    The only reason it is there (it is not to promote traffic or advertising or any gain whatsoever) is purely a place where we tell our story. Not sure how else to get interested parties to go and read what happened to us otherwise, but I take your point and link removed.

Appreciate your input and warning, thanks.
  • timcclayton
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Two questions;

1. Why don't you try suing the individual rather than the company (or non-company) ?

2. If that ails, why didn't you take the 1k offe if you have been advised by a lawyer that you are screwed?

Hi daytona0, there is no individual, simply a business called "Everest" (I am going by the signs they display near their lockup here) which has no corresponding company or business name in Jersey.

We were told by our local version of the FSA, the Jersey Financial Services Commission, that whatever they are were breaking Companies Law by trading in this way and also issuing invalid contracts, again they only use the word "Everest" on the contract.

However the JFSC is only willing to write to them asking them not to do it again in the future!

On the compensation side, I am surprised that you believe that taking a suspiciously-rounded figure of £1000 when the damage and a new, safe roof cost over £8000 is a good move. That just gives Everest even more reason to behave like cowboys in the future, something we are trying to prevent.

We aren't claiming anything else, purely the costs. I (or my wife or our young children) could have been seriously injured or killed by the falling glass, it punched a hole into my computer keyboard as it fell, pretty much what an icepick would do, so I am glad my head wasn't in the way of it.

How on earth does that still happen in the world today, it's crazy.
  • schwam66
    schwam66 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    yeah always stay away from the big firms....your best off with the local small boys, i suppose its hard in jersey but for others out there dont even bother ringing the 'big' guys, a quoter you will never see again, a surveyor you will never see again, and fitters you will never see again....where as alot of the local guys do it all and will want to do a good job as they rely on word of mouth and returning business.....all the best
  • timcclayton
    Options
    Quite right schwam66.

In the end, we used a local firm to fit a new, safe roof and they did a superb job - there hasn't been a slightest leak since October 2013 when they fitted it - if that alone isn't damning enough of Everest's roof, I don't know what is.

And it does indeed seem that the big firms are far worse then smaller, local ones from everything I have read and seen in the past few years when battling with these people. I just wish more people knew this, they seem to trust the Everest brand because of their adverts for some reason.
  • timcclayton
    Options
    We have been asked by Everest to remove all content on this thread - is there a way to do this please?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have been asked by Everest to remove all content on this thread - is there a way to do this please?
    Why would you want to do that?

If everything you have said is true then you have nothing to fear.

p.s. I have just taken a copy of this thread... just in case it vanishes. ;)
  • George_Michael
    Options

Just tell them that what you have written is 100% true and if they want to take legal action against you to go ahead.
    If they do so, you will then have details of who to counter sue for the cost of repairs.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    p.s. I have just taken a copy of this thread... just in case it vanishes. ;)

And if anyone wants a copy in the future, it is now safely archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141024232827/http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66827849&posted=1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure