Dfs noxious fumes

Options
On the 10th December 2013 we had a 3 seater, 2 seater and chair from the Peyton leather range suite delivered by DFS. As soon as the furniture was unpacked we could smell a strong chemical odour which eventually caused our eyes to burn. We aired the room and subsequently went on holiday. On our return the fumes were still present and over the next few days my family developed painful eyes, sore throats, tingling lips and various forms of respiratory distress.
On the 21st December we contacted DFS to have the suite taken away as it was causing health issues. Today my wife was contacted by a service manager called Dekin who basically said that there was nothing he could do until the 6th January 2014. We do not have the use of our own lounge and have had to cancel our family Christmas gathering. I wish I had never walked through the doors of the DFS store.

On 24th December 2013 I had to attend the Doctors Surgery for my respiratory ailment. Now using TWO inhalers. Cheers DFS and Merry Christmas

Comments

• stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 December 2013 at 1:19PM
    Options
    donald1961 wrote: »
    On the 10th December 2013 we had a 3 seater, 2 seater and chair from the Peyton leather range suite delivered by DFS. As soon as the furniture was unpacked we could smell a strong chemical odour which eventually caused our eyes to burn. We aired the room and subsequently went on holiday. On our return the fumes were still present and over the next few days my family developed painful eyes, sore throats, tingling lips and various forms of respiratory distress.
    On the 21st December we contacted DFS to have the suite taken away as it was causing health issues. Today my wife was contacted by a service manager called Dekin who basically said that there was nothing he could do until the 6th January 2014. We do not have the use of our own lounge and have had to cancel our family Christmas gathering. I wish I had never walked through the doors of the DFS store.

On 24th December 2013 I had to attend the Doctors Surgery for my respiratory ailment. Now using TWO inhalers. Cheers DFS and Merry Christmas

A rant and not really their fault that you contacted them two working days before Christmas. I'm sure the smell will go. Not unusual for leather items sprayed with a protection product to smell. Did they say what it was?

Have a thought for those who are ill or have no house at all this Christmas. I know two young people who are terminally ill and will not see next Christmas. One I don't know very well but gave her and her child a ticket for a pop concert that I'd bought for me and mine - but hopefully we'll get to see them in the future.

Your thoughts will take on another perspective. Happy Christmas.
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • donald1961
    Options
    stebiz wrote: »
    A rant and not really their fault that you contacted them two working days before Christmas. I'm sure the smell will go. Not unusual for leather items sprayed with a protection product to smell. Did they say what it was?

Have a thought for those who are ill or have no house at all this Christmas. I know two young people who are terminally ill and will not see next Christmas. One I don't know very well but gave her and her child a ticket for a pop concert that I'd bought for me and mine - but hopefully we'll get to see them in the future.

If you had actually read the post you would see that it is not merely "a smell" that is the problem. I don't quite understand what connection my post has to the plight of homeless people or the terminally ill ? Well done on donating the ticket but I don't see the relevance to my families predicament.
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    donald1961 wrote: »
    over the next few days my family developed painful eyes, sore throats, tingling lips and various forms of respiratory distress.

Seriously I don't believe for one second that all this was from a new sofa. You sure must have one heck of a vivid imagination!

If it was just one person perhaps a rare allergic reaction but an entire family, not a chance!!
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seriously I don't believe for one second that all this was from a new sofa. You sure must have one heck of a vivid imagination!

If it was just one person perhaps a rare allergic reaction but an entire family, not a chance!!
    There is so much being imported from China with poor controls on manufacturing. H&S and materials, thet I am quite prepared to believe this.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    there was a huge post on here a year or so ago about sofas making people ill so it is possible
  • George_Michael
    Options

Not a chance?

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2010/April/27041002.asp

and it appears that the chemical in question is still being found despite a ban being in place.

http://www.asiaqualityfocus.com/blog/lab-testing-dimethyl-fumarate/
  • SimonSays
    Options
    Anyone else clock that DFS rang the OP on christmas day?
  • cashmagiro
    Options

What world do you really live in ??? You refuse to believe that a sofa could cause this kind of reaction and problem??? well you clearly dont live in the real world and you wear rose tinted glasses to think the world is pure and without REAL issues, think yourself lucky if you have never had any REAL problems in your sheltered life and stop giving your stupid opinion to something you clearly have no knowledge of, you are quick to criticize someone and put blame on them and disbelieve what they say when you done know the family nor the distress they are going through yet you are backing up DFS to the hilt, now THAT i find unbelievable!!! Are you a worker of DFS? are you a Share Holder of DFS?? are you the OWNER of DFS?? lol, These issues that have been discussed ARE possible, Are realistic and has been reported on more that one occasion, this is NOT an isolated case, i have heard and read of MANY of these cases and if you GOOGLE this issue you too will see it, You should stop being sooooooo naive and GET A GRIP!! This family are obviously suffering and dont need idiots sitting in their NON TOXIC HOMES ON THEIR NON TOXIC SOFAS putting in their pathetic tuppence worth!! RANT OVER...... AND GOOD LUCK TO DONALD1961 AND HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE WELL, MERRY XMAS XXX :p
  • cashmagiro
    Options
    stebiz wrote: »

Dont really think the post was a rant at all, it was clearly out lining problems and potentially health related issues with a DFS sofa, doent matter when he contacted them really does it he obviously contacted them once he realized there was a problem and c'mon it doesnt matter what time of year it is if there is a health risk that should be a priority!! Christmas doesnt protect you from Fumes so DFS have a "duty of care" to sort this out as soon as they are notified they have clearly let this family down, and to suggest that he has contacted them too close to christmas and its NOT DFS's problem is just STUPID!!! "can you wait to die of TOXIC fumes please sir, its almost Christmas and we dont have time to help you...." Get a GRIP!!!! surly Donald1961 is being decent and responsible by letting people know and warning others incase this is happening or could happen to them, Is this not what these threads are meant for? He is clearly suffering and so is his family why are you pulling him up for it? and comparing his problems to homelessness and the terminally ill is not a very nice thing to do now is it, its not his fault that people all over the world are in poverty and their health is poor, his owen health and the health of his OWN family could be getting affected by this TOXIC sofa due to no fault of his own but of DFS OR the manufactures,yet YOU criticize him for merely posting this to let others know of the position he and his family are in, thats just NOT right and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to make him feel bad by posting this, You do a good thing by giving your concert tickets to someone in more need than you and your family which is a Lovely caring and considerate thing to do yet on the other hand make this man feel even worse than he already does by tearing shreds off him and having a RANT of your very own, Not very Christian like nor decent is it??? :eek: good luck with this Donald1961, xxx
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I'm NOT sure what BEING Christian has to do WITH anything but I MUST say I enjoy your STYLE OF TYPING.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure