Teenagers first holiday without parents

Options

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does he know your home and mobile numbers off by heart? It's so easy now to just hit a dial key and not actually know the number. He could lose his phone and then be stumped!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I presume (although coulee be wrong) he will be wanting money for drinks and clubs etc at that age?

It's unlikely he's going to be getting into clubs and drinking in London nowadays without ID.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2017 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Rather than cash what about a card?

I have used Monzo throughout the EU and it has never failed me be it from a nice restaurant/hotel to the local corner store. I also have Revolut and Halifax Clarity as back ups.

This way he can keep cash to a minimum and top up/withdraw from an ATM when needed - also if things go wrong you could top up from home for him.

No idea if this is a sensible option, but this works for me!

(if you also install the app you can keep a track of his spending, just be pre-warned some spending may be in Starbutts or Boobie Bungalow).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replies, will have a look at the links

DS is 17, so won't be able to get in pubs/clubs. This was something I pointed out when they wanted to book, why not wait a few months till DS's next birthday, but for various reasons they wanted to book for next month. American friend will be 19 by the time they meet up and it will be a bit of a novelty for him being able to buy alcohol (U.S age is 21) but I'm sure London prices for a pint will mean it's not something he'll wish to do a lot. :rotfl:

I was thinking of suggesting they stick to the chains for eating out.
    My son went of on a lads holiday abroad at 17. I had to give him a letter to say his much less than mature 18yr old friend was his guardian:rotfl:

At least yours is within the same country and there is no language barrier. As a parent you will worry where ever he goes.

Remember to he will need ID to take advantage of any student/under 18 discounts :D
    That made me smile, because it's a similar situation. I don't think 19yo has travelled outside of America before.

I'd not thought about student discounts. DS is in his second year of an FE course. I don't think he's ever got a card to get student discounts - I am assumming he's eligible? Something to look into - thanks.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I'm from York and have always felt very safe there. It is expensive for food though. Have him download voucher codes onto his phone as there are usually a lot of discounts for meals in York. Taxi's in York are expensive but hopefully he can avoid those.
    Also student discount if they have student cards can save money. I know in Stonegate Yard it's 20% off and the food there is really nice and decent prices (I'm a student too).
    I'd budget about £30 for food a day in York just to be on the safe side. The Cornish Pastry shops are good for lunches and there is Greggs etc too.
    There is a lot to see and do in York so hopefully they have a good time. Most of Yorks nightlife is bars though so I'm not sure what they'll do unless they go to the cinema (City screen in centre is expensive) or just wander round the streets.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter uses her Student discount card in loads of places, she's quite savvy that way. She'll even ask if there's no sign up ! The House of Trembling Madness is my favourite place in York to eat, i think the American friend will find it quite amusing !
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow £15/£20 a day for food! thats more than people live off for a months food! I appreciate the son is young but I think it would be a good idea to give less in order to discipline him for future budgeting rather than let him go all out.

Though in reality theres no set amount of money, someone may have £20 a day and spent £10, someone may have £10 and not stretch it far its finding that middle ground that is hard, by all means more try and factor in costs rather than luxuries.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think he'll need 20 quid a day for food. Many hote
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Many hotels will include breakfast. And there are still cheap places to eat. Plus supermarkets. However if that's what it costs and they have the money then fair enough.

It's not a budgeting lesson. It's a holiday.

I'm sure there are some people who live off 15 quid a month in shopping but there are also people who spend much more.

I spent a weekend in York a couple of years ago. It didn't cost 30 quid a day. There are plenty of places you can have lunch cheaply and a couple of wetherspoons.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Does he know how the Tube system works? Can be baffling the first time.

They don't need to spend big money on going into places all the time - just walking around and seeing the sights is free.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure