Set your own T&Cs on your File.

Options

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    They're not your terms and conditions, the bank do not agree to them simply because you've put a CIFAS marker on your file. The lender will assess your application as per their normal criteria.

What would be the point of everybody putting an unverified thumb print on an application? What would differentiate your thumb print from anybody else's?

Your idea, unless used with the relevant technology, is nonsense.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    James wrote: »
    Here's what happened to me. I applied online. I was contacted by the Bank (they'd checked my Credit File) and sent me a paper application to return by post signed and Thumbprinted. (my T&Cs being adhered to).

All that is required by any lender/bank etc is that they check an application has a print on it. There is no need to verify the print UNLESS fraud is found to have been committed.

These are my T&C's. I really hope the finance industry helps me (us) help them and reduce crime.

But how do they know it was your fingerprint and someone didn't just read the article and make an application in your name and use their fingerprint or that of some random person? And surely as the whole idea is to prevent fraudulent applications then how does verifying it after the fact do anything to address this?

The banks are under no obligation to take notice of your terms and conditions. By applying you are agreeing to adhere to theirs, not the other way around.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    James wrote: »
    Thanks for all your concerns.

Here's what happened to me. I applied online. I was contacted by the Bank (they'd checked my Credit File) and sent me a paper application to return by post signed and Thumbprinted. (my T&Cs being adhered to).

I've just called First Direct and they do send out paper applications to those who require them.

All that is required by any lender/bank etc is that they check an application has a print on it. There is no need to verify the print UNLESS fraud is found to have been committed.

These are my T&C's. I really hope the finance industry helps me (us) help them and reduce crime.

It's worked for me (and others) for all those years.

If it's not your cup of tea, fair enough.

:)

So you placed a Notice of Correction on your credit file ? Stating that you require a paper application with a thumbprint on before they open an account for you ? Why not just use a password like other people ? Once your paper application is received (not needed really as you applied inline) it will be filed, what use is the thumbprint ?

A Notice of Correction can be added by anyone to their credit file, they're not "T & C's" What you're doing isn't new, it's been available for years.
  • meer53
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    But how do they know it was your fingerprint and someone didn't just read the article and make an application in your name and use their fingerprint or that of some random person? And surely as the whole idea is to prevent fraudulent applications then how does verifying it after the fact do anything to address this?

The banks are under no obligation to take notice of your terms and conditions. By applying you are agreeing to adhere to theirs, not the other way around.

A bank has to take note of any notices of correction on a credit file. This is what the OP is referring to, the thumbprint thing is completely irrelevant.
  • JuicyJesus
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    A bank has to take note of any notices of correction on a credit file. This is what the OP is referring to, the thumbprint thing is completely irrelevant.

They have to take note of them but they also don't have to consider any random conditions put into them to be a binding contract or follow directions they contain. A contract necessarily has to be agreed to by both parties to be valid, and a NOC doesn't form any kind of modification to any other contract because the bank won't have agreed to it. Otherwise I could have a NOC saying "JuicyJesus is only to borrow money at an interest rate of -1,000,000% simple monthly interest" and be very very rich after I apply for a Vanquis card.

This is why the OP's idea is stupid. So far it seems to boil down to "order a paper application form and apply using that" - the thumbprint and NOC is completely irrelevant and means nothing other than that he's got a dirty thumb. Despite what he says it hasn't actually prevented any fraud and nobody has actually agreed to these "T&Cs" he keeps banging on about, which means they're pointless.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    They have to take note of them but they also don't have to consider any random conditions put into them to be a binding contract or follow directions they contain. A contract necessarily has to be agreed to by both parties to be valid, and a NOC doesn't form any kind of modification to any other contract because the bank won't have agreed to it. Otherwise I could have a NOC saying "JuicyJesus is only to borrow money at an interest rate of -1,000,000% simple monthly interest" and be very very rich after I apply for a Vanquis card.

This is why the OP's idea is stupid. So far it seems to boil down to "order a paper application form and apply using that" - the thumbprint and NOC is completely irrelevant and means nothing other than that he's got a dirty thumb. Despite what he says it hasn't actually prevented any fraud and nobody has actually agreed to these "T&Cs" he keeps banging on about, which means they're pointless.
    Yep, it's pretty much one uneducated and not thought out a bunch of populist toot.

First thumb imprint like that is 100% meaningless as verification medium. It cannot be verified despite what CSI may make you believe an ink-print of thumb on paper is unlikely to, ever, give a conclusive result unless it was taken by a professional (it takes actual training to do right).

Second, the only reason fingerprint works on your phone are because it collects a lot more data than just the print AND the software verifying it is also in full and direct control of the hardware. Without going into too much detail that little button on new iPhones collects your print, and data that is based on the level of sweat of your finger, temperature, amount of pressure and a lot of other fun bits (and that is part of your touch ID profile). Simple fingerprint readers which do not do the above are not a security measure at all but a gimmick. And imprinted thumb in ink done by an untrained person is as useless.

And then even if you collect this data, once you start sending it over the internet you open yourself to all sort of fake hardware/data and stolen thumbprints that will be impossible to tell from the fakes and can be collected on a large scale. Unlike signatures, which take actual time to fake every single time.

Similarly, anything you put in your NOC is not a binding contract. And while all financial services contract have a point that state that this document and its attachment stand entirety of the agreement, this is not needed as your notice was never a contract in the first place.
  • Sarastro
    Options
    I recently burnt my thumb and had a blister on it..completely unable to unlock my iphone
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here is how much stock FOS put in demands/conditions placed in notices of correction: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=158846

Hint - one bank complied, the rest ignored it, FOS didn't really think much had happened that was wrong.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • meer53
    Options
    Here is how much stock FOS put in demands/conditions placed in notices of correction: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=158846

Hint - one bank complied, the rest ignored it, FOS didn't really think much had happened that was wrong.

NOC's still need to be read before lending decisions are made though. I have one on my credit file, it's worked for me.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I think Mr S is barking up the wrong tree.

He should have complained to (and about) the companies that appear to have disregarded his NOC.

Experian recorded it on his credit file and there's nothing to indicate they haven't made it available to companies who should be given it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure