Just bought first house - how does metered water get billed

Options
Miss.Fortune
Miss.Fortune Posts: 35 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 October 2016 at 12:44PM in Water bills
Hi,

This may sound really obvious but I have had no prior experience with water suppliers.

We moved in to the house last Friday & called up to give the meter readings and inform them of our details. At this time I was set up with an online account but no payment plan was set up.

The water is on a meter and I believe billed every 6 months(?).

Do we get billed for the water after it's been used - so I can expect our first bill in 6 months time? Or is it in advance and based on what they estimate we will use.

I would like to set up a month DD payment plan but unsure if i'm supposed to do that now or wait until the first biannual bill is sent. :huh::think:

Any guidance most appreciated.

ETA - If it make any difference the supplier is Severn Trent.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Severn Trent will estimate your consumption from the details you give them and set up a monthly direct debit if you wish.

The DD will get adjusted after they get meter readings.

http://severntrentwater.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDc3NDg0Mzg3L3NpZC9kck5wdzMybg%3D%3D
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I have my water meter with Severn Trent, and I receive my bills at the end of April and the end of October. No doubt your bills will be the same.

I pay my bill in full when I receive it.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Take a reading in exactly a months time,deduct from the first reading you can then times this by 12 and give you a rough idea of how many units you will use, give readings to ST so they can set up your direct debit correctly

You will get the bill when its next due to be read in your area, could be next month could be 6 months, ST will be able to tell you
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

This may sound really obvious but I have had no prior experience with water suppliers.

We moved in to the house last Friday & called up to give the meter readings and inform them of our details. At this time I was set up with an online account but no payment plan was set up.

The water is on a meter and I believe billed every 6 months(?).

Do we get billed for the water after it's been used - so I can expect our first bill in 6 months time? Or is it in advance and based on what they estimate we will use.

I would like to set up a month DD payment plan but unsure if i'm supposed to do that now or wait until the first biannual bill is sent. :huh::think:

Any guidance most appreciated.

ETA - If it make any difference the supplier is Severn Trent.

When paying on receipt of bill, the first bill will be produced at the time that suits ST (which will be when the meter reader is in your area next), and then every 6 monthly thereafter.
    Billing is in arrears.

(It's different if you have an un-metered supply - billing is then in advance)
  • Moon_Keh
    Options
    I have my water meter with Severn Trent, and I receive my bills at the end of April and the end of October. No doubt your bills will be the same.

I pay my bill in full when I receive it.

I get similar from Anglian, except they bill me June and December. That second one can be hard work.
    Signature on hold as I've seen no unused witty comments to plaigarise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure