AC Nielsen/Fact Finders - Don't Bother!

Options

Comments

• Payless_2
    Payless_2 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Options
    I used to do this for Taylor Neilson (I thought) and it is indeed tedious when all I wanted was a sit down and a cup of tea after trawling round Asda. Can't remember how long I did it for now but all I got for it was an ironing board with wonky legs and a cr*p electric knife. Definitely seconds and definitely not worth it
  • Lisaberry
    Lisaberry Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    Oh nuts, just signed up for this thinking it was shop and scan. Not sure I want to bother if it's this rubbish.
    If my words are missing letters then please excuse me....my keyboard is a tad dodgy!!
  • arthur2
    arthur2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Regarding Shop & Scan, I was with them in 2007, but found the system was quirky and persistently did not work. My closing exchange with them was as follows:

"I have tried all the suggestions, along with the usual things, and it still just sits there doing nothing (apparently) for about 20 seconds, then it flashes green about 30-35 times, and then gives the usual: Transmission Error [3]

We ... concluded that the hassle outweighs the benefits...

Many thanks for all your effort trying to get it to work. Perhaps if it were a Java application running via Firefox it might work better."

I think the problem might have been related to being stuck to Internet Exploder, but can't really remember any details - just the frustration!

Have they updated how it works since July 2007? I think their system still used dial-up, amazingly outdated when we have 20Mb Virgin broadband these days.

Having recently joined Nielsen Factfinders I was disappointed to find that it too still uses dial-up! Although they were able to tell me how to set up a prefix to the number dialled, it isn't working, and I was about to give up on it after two weeks' scanning. I then tried selecting the exchange line on my phone, before telling it to try again - and it has now sent what I scanned so far. I will see how they respond to me complaining that it has lost the dialling prefix, and also whether Shop & Scan have brought their system up to date! ISTR the rewards were better, but my memory is a bit unreliable.
    --
    Arthur
  • freelancemermaid
    Options
    I joined the Nielsen Survey Panel last night. This morning I've emailed them to say I'm leaving. I got a ton of unwanted software on my computer, it disabled firewall and other protective things - without asking - and seemed to disable internet access.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
    Boyfriend & I have saved £12K in two years, thanks to careful budgeting and keeping a record of what we spend. I've never paid myself this amount of money before - it feels great!
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've joined the Nielsen factfinders shopping panel. I also tried signing up for volunteers for panels a few months ago and have heard nothing so figured I may as well do Nielsen, even through the rewards are not as good. Setting up my scanner was not too difficult and as it is not connected to the PC, all it can transmit is the info I've scanned into it. I've not been offered the internet one - I would not do that.

I appreciate the rewards are not as good as with other shopping scanning companies but I'm looking at it as it still being a bonus as the rewards are something I would not have otherwise.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vyle wrote: »
    My scanner arrived last week. I haven't even used it and I'm sending it back. The base unit makes this unholy buzzing sound, it kills my internet connection and causes really bad interference on the line. Seeing as I NEED the internet, it's not worth it.

I wish I had seen this forum before I bothered. That's exactly what happened to me, I can't plug any extras onto my phone line without the internet going awol. Even the sky connection only gets plugged in when it's really essential! The lady on the phone was quite insistent on working it out but I told her I have no wish to meddle with the internet when it works fine left on it's own.

So do other scanning companies manage to get the information without connecting to the phone line?
  • SimbaSimon
    SimbaSimon Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xbrenx wrote: »
    I wish I had seen this forum before I bothered. That's exactly what happened to me, I can't plug any extras onto my phone line without the internet going awol. Even the sky connection only gets plugged in when it's really essential! The lady on the phone was quite insistent on working it out but I told her I have no wish to meddle with the internet when it works fine left on it's own.

So do other scanning companies manage to get the information without connecting to the phone line?

I've been doing Shop and Scan for about 4 months now and no problems yet. With them its a software download for the scanner on your PC, connect the scanner, go to the website and press a button to transmit the barcodes. I signed up about 6 months before I got an invite though so may be a bit harder to get into. I also upload the receipt for extra points which I do my taking a photo with the digital camera and upload it to the website but this is optional.
  • Lady_Fluff
    Lady_Fluff Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    I've only been doign ti for a few months...and today, my Dyson DC24 Ball arrived, having won it in the prize draw! I agree, not very good in the rewards front, but it's been worth it for me already!
    Surveys nerd :wave:
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    congrats Lady fluff :) I'm quite happy with Nilsson. I agree the rewards are not the most rewarding, but it is relatively little effort for the eventual freebie and I like the possibility I may win a prize as you have. I'd recommend them for anyone who isn't able to get into shop and scan.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • wayne1983
    wayne1983 Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Options
    It doesnt pay as well as shop and scan however im still continuing as it doesnt take a lot of effort, plus as others say i may win a prize!
    2016 Money challenge - £290
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport