Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6 March £166,400
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting post by Ablrate from early today/late yesterday:

"Our aircraft are largely used to move passengers around. When we lease out an aircraft, the lessee signs a deregistration certificate that we retain possession of. If they stop paying their lease then we present this certificate to the local aviation authority and that will prevent them from operating the aircraft in a commercial capacity. Even if they hid it in some obscure jungle (a) we are insured and (b) they can't get spares or use the aircraft at any airfield that is subject to any form of jurisdiction. We also take out mortgages over the aircraft in multiple jurisdictions so that they can't be moved cross-border.

Our main sponsor has leased out around 400 aircraft in his career. He has had three cases where lease payments have ceased. In all three of those, the aircraft has been recovered, re-sprayed and re-leased to a new client within three months.

Generally our clients are governments or large corporations who are loathe to default because if they do, they won't be able to lease aircraft off anyone else either. We are happy to chat in more detail on the subject if you drop us a line.
    "
  • jamesd
    Options
    12 March £173,000 with 39 days to go.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    If the loan figure is only ticking up at £20k a week after the initial slew of interest, it doesn't bode particularly well for hitting a 2.5m target (biggest loan so far, you said?). Seems pretty poor testament to their fundraising efforts. Or does the figure on this kind of transaction always tick up hugely in the few days towards the end when it's actually needed?

Otherwise if there is someone in the background who is underwriting £2m worth, is he getting a little agitated now about what work he'll need to do to syndicate the loan out himself if the placing fails?
  • jamesd
    edited 12 March 2015 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Apparently it's been fairly steady flow in the past. This one is so big that I'm not confident that it'll happen that way this time, it might see a surge towards the end.

Not that any of this will stop the loan from happening. I expect that those who've agreed to underwrite the loan will complete it even if there isn't institutional interest. Some of that might then be offered for sale on their secondary market later. I don't think that they are short of institutional interest, more trying to give consumers first bite to help to grow the consumer part of the business.

Things for them should go faster in April when their new platform launches. Among other things that's due to have a timeline of future lending opportunities to help lenders decide where and when to place their money.

The new platform is also why I'm wondering whether this loan will proceed as usual. Say mid April release and it'll then be a natural time for any marketing activities by Ablrate to happen and those might produce a surge of new customers and interest in the last week or so. No idea whether they plan that, though, it's just part of my wondering.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    If the loan figure is only ticking up at £20k a week after the initial slew of interest, it doesn't bode particularly well for hitting a 2.5m target (biggest loan so far, you said?).

If it was a solid investment opportunity this offer would have attracted at least a couple of high net worth investors by now.
  • jamesd
    edited 13 March 2015 at 3:26AM
    Options
    It probably already has attracted some HNW investors. Those same HNW investors will also know that there are likely to be another fifty loans to participate in and won't be foolish enough to put all of their quarter of a million Pounds in just one, nor all of it at Ablrate.

At the moment those who have lent enough to lend various amounts over a year of 50 loans are:

£1,000-1999 -> £50k: 20 (mean 1065)
    £2,000-4999 -> £100k: 12 (mean 3191)
    £5,000-9999 -> £250k: 4 (mean 6225)
    £10,000+ -> £500k: 6 (mean 11816, highest £20k)

That's ten people who are on track over the year to lend the whole of the £250,000 investable assets requirement, 42 if we assume that they are sensible enough to keep no more than 20% of investable assets on one platform.

The whole list of 176 bids is available to those who have an account. I combined multiple bids by the same account to get the numbers above.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2015 at 3:30PM
    Options
    This is an interesting thread, but I am intrigued at how those prepared to enter into such a proposal actually square the risks.

I know a little about aircraft - not a lot - but enough to be dangerous, including experience of flying some real ones unaccompanied across oceans and into remote airfields, and I don't mean in MS Flight Simulator !

I have owned shares in small ones and been privy to some of the paperwork of small to large ones so I understand a little of how interests in loss or damage risks are requested to be covered, and how some finance gets recorded etc., and a little of how there is frequently a complicated pecking order of financial interests to be respected for example by insurers when things go wrong. Don't get me wrong, though, I am no expert in any of it, but I think I am right in saying that before money is advanced on aircraft, there are usually some quite complex agreements demanded by the lender in favour of the lender to be formally signed sealed and delivered by the insurers of the aircraft, before a single button is pressed.

I do know that the very nature of aircraft means they are wholly mobile assets and are pretty useless when they can't be found or moved! They are generally pretty useless to have an interest in if you haven't got the right paperwork to support your next move in a given situation!

To move aircraft physically, they first need to be found, fueled and equipped with power units and they need to be not chained down !

I note that the specifications of the power units on this aircraft are not available. Does that mean they are owned by some other party to the party which owns the hull? They often are.

Aircraft can be, and given the volatility of the aviation business, not infrequently are, effectively chained down or impounded under special court orders whose technical name I forget, by clever disgruntled parties persuing outstanding debts which may or may not be linked to operation of the aircraft itself !

The Crown Prince of Thailand found himself locked out of his aircraft a few of years ago whilst in Germany, by a German road construction firm owed money by the Thai state. He knew where to find his aircraft (back where he last parked it!) but then so did the construction firm, and they successfully kept him out of it!

More often aircraft might be impounded for failure to pay bills for fuel, spares or maintenance.

Then someone has to scrabble around for the cash to get it released. How might that affect a participant in this Phoenix deal I wonder ? Perhaps it doesn't.

Then there's the age thing, I imagine that a 17 year old aircraft that has seen 20,000 + cycles has seen quite a few bills for fuel spares and maintenance. An ATR42 of that vintage is not the prettiest of assets even if it has had yet another paint job. I recall that they are a bit clunky. If I recall correctly they come with a rather agricultural four or five foot aluminium pole prop (not a propeller, a prop like a clothesline prop!) that the cargo handler has to fix under the tail down to the ground before any attempt is made to load cargo in the back, else it might tip up if passengers haven't yet climbed onboard!

Wondrous things these old flying machines! And the finances are no doubt just as wondrous and in need of the correct props to avoid upset!

And that name "Phoenix" must surely at least at one time been a tongue-in-cheek, self-deprecating summary of the provenance of those promoting this type of arrangement ? :p

But, I am open-minded enough to still stand to be persuaded that what looks like a walk on water deal could be a true niche opportunity ;)
  • jamesd
    Options
    You're right about arrangements such as mandatory provision for maintenance and insurance. By their nature it's also usually required to get spare parts for these aircraft and the manufacturer is not going to be willing to sell them to service a stolen aircraft.

The construction firm could presumably seize the aircraft of the crown prince only because he actually owned it. In this case it would be owned by the lessor and not the property of the leasing party.

If you ask by email Ablrate will send you the whole contents of the condition survey and maintenance history for the aircraft and answer any other questions you have.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    12 March £173,000 with 39 days to go.
    This is not exactly motoring along. Now up to £207,100 and 17 days left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure