Options

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mandy53 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I,m new to the forum and just wondered how i start a new thread /post? It relates to Personal Independence Payment and i would be grateful if someone can advise on how i post a new thread as i can,t find this anywhere on the forum site? Thank you

Welcome.

Click on Forum on green bar at the top of the page.

Scroll down to Disability Money Matters and click on that.

Click on New Thread - blue box and voila you can start your own thread.
  • Mandy53
    Mandy53 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you pmlindyloo :unfortunately i don,t see the blue box to start a new thread and can only see Post Reply (in red) ,subscribe to thread and thread tools? Do i need to wait for a duration of time from joining before i can post a new thread?
  • Mandy53
    Mandy53 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hi pmlindloo, it,s okay i think i,ve found it now ,thank you for your help.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Called today, consultant & Drs are doing supporting letters. Will also do a diary (got a copy from the CAB. How long should I do it for?).

Also does anyone have experience/advice of when I should expect my assessment? Feeling very nervous about the whole process at the minute. Thanks for your help.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Called today, consultant & Drs are doing supporting letters. Will also do a diary (got a copy from the CAB. How long should I do it for?).

Also does anyone have experience/advice of when I should expect my assessment? Feeling very nervous about the whole process at the minute. Thanks for your help.
    I'd advice to do the diary for at least a week. Time scales vary accross the country. It's like saying how long is a piece of string really. It depends on the backlog in your area. Just remember that when you do get that date, you can only change it once.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Re: assessment :
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

There are some useful sites on PIP:
    CAB Advice Guide (per above);
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf Pages 86 on are helpful, and give you an indication of how the descriptors and activities should be interpreted and scored;
    The points / activities / descriptors page poppy linked to is vital - it's how PIP will be decided.
    The B & W site also has useful guides - http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/images/image/samples/dla/sample_pip_jan17_v24.pdf;
    It's possible a disability charity linked to your condition also offers PIP guidance i.e.
    https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-resources/claiming-personal-independence-payment-booklet

Have you kept a copy of your PIP form?
    It's important that you fully described the impact your condition has on doing the relevant activities reliably, to an acceptable standard, and in a reasonable time scale.
    It's a good idea to have the descriptors / points to hand and ensure the form gets you up to the necessary 8 points.
    You need to fit your conditions to the activities, and show how and why points should be awarded.

PIP is based on your abilities on the majority of days (i.e how you are on 183 days over a year).
    It helps if your diary shows a period long enough to capture a typical period (particularly if your condition varies).

If, you feel, your PIP2 form wasn't persuasive enough - the suggestion that you contact the PIP help line re submitting additional info is worth following. And you can always take more info to the assessment, and request that it be forwarded on to DWP decision maker (they may be able to do that).

You do have appeal rights if the decision goes against you. And there is always the option to reapply.

When you do the ESA50 form, be aware that it is also points based - so please look at the available guides which will help you complete it to a standard that gives you the best chance of an award. Or you could get advice from your local CAB / advice agency.
    With ESA it is more tricky to reapply, so a knowledge of how ESA works; the best way to complete the form, submitting relevant medical evidence becomes important.
    If you have NI contributions in the last 2 tax years you are likely to be eligible for contribution-based ESA.
    Your local CAB could do a benefit check for you.

Please don't rely on forum posts -i.e. "however from reading on here this is not necessary as the DWP will make enquiries." - the info you have been given above, to date, is accurate. But some posters can dispense drivel, judgements, and incorrect info.
    Please use authoritative guides or visit an advice agency .
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'd advice to do the diary for at least a week. Time scales vary accross the country. It's like saying how long is a piece of string really. It depends on the backlog in your area. Just remember that when you do get that date, you can only change it once.

Thanks Poppy.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Much to my surprise, I have had a letter from Capita on Saturday advising I will have my medical on Friday (less than two weeks after submitting my application) they have also said it will be a home visit, which I didn't request, but am relieved about.

I have now got letters from Dr & Consultant, and have forwarded to the DWP along with my diary, and also have took copies which I will give to the assessor on the day (the letter said I could do this).

I'm feeling quite sick and nervous at the prospect of this interview, and I wondered if you could give me any advice/ dos & donts.

Thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Much to my surprise, I have had a letter from Capita on Saturday advising I will have my medical on Friday (less than two weeks after submitting my application) they have also said it will be a home visit, which I didn't request, but am relieved about.

I have now got letters from Dr & Consultant, and have forwarded to the DWP along with my diary, and also have took copies which I will give to the assessor on the day (the letter said I could do this).

I'm feeling quite sick and nervous at the prospect of this interview, and I wondered if you could give me any advice/ dos & donts.

Thanks
    I've never had a home assessment but the process it still the same. They'll ask you questions based on what you wrote on the form. They'll be watching you from the minute they arrive to the minute they leave. Don't just answer with a yes or no, give as much detail as possible. If you're claiming for mobility issues then they may ask you to do some exercises, IE stand on tip toes, raise your arms, lift your legs etc. If you can't do any of these just tell them and the reasons why. A few days after the assessment you can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the report, this will give you some idea how the decision will go. Mostly they go with what's written in the report. Good luck.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I'll update you all on how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure