Concealed Cistern

Before we have to admit defeat and call someone out i'm hoping as a total longshot someone may be able to help with a problem we're having with our concealed cistern.
The cable that operates the flush has detached from where it's meant to be to do it's job and we can't work out where it needs to go back on. Really hoping someone may be able to advise us. Have always hated this cistern, give me a normal toilet that you can actually easily access for repairs anyday!
Below are some pictures of the inside of the cistern and the cable in case anyone by chance can instruct us. Have tried to look online but haven;t been able to see any where the mechanism looks like ours.

cable

flush left

flush top

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer, sure it must be an easy fix so really don't want to endure any call out cost and probably being told we need a new cistern.

Comments

• Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    When you push the button it operates that small lever that's in the cable photo? If so it probably pushes the lever up which then empties the cistern, whatever part that is in the central flush valve that you can pull up to operate the flush is where that cable end needs to be attached to, my experience of these is that when something like that comes apart it usually means that the part has failed and needs replacing, replacement flush valves can be bought for around £20 though depending on what conceals the whole unit these can be tricky to replace.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Thanks for the advice, can't see anything that looks to have broken on either the cable or the flush valve that may have broken off, just seems to have fallen off when we removed the panel for another issue. Replacing the central valve wouldn't be easy and would really like to avoid that as we'd have to take half the bathroom apart!
    Think we might have to admit defeat and call someone out.
  • Are you sure you wouldn't be able to replace the valve? We have a Grohe concealed cistern and every single part can be serviced from behind the flush plate - I know because I had to take it apart once!
  • Are you sure you wouldn't be able to replace the valve? We have a Grohe concealed cistern and every single part can be serviced from behind the flush plate - I know because I had to take it apart once!

The problem is that the cistern is under a counter that also houses the sink so it would involve taking out the sink unit, removing the counter and possibly some of the tiles so not an easy job. Definately isn't enough to space under the counter to work otherwise. Would be easier to just make do with manually flushing it like we are now till we're in a position to replace the toilet and sink with traditional ones.
  • We too have Grohe and it's totally concealed behind tiles, with access only given by the flush plate, but that has been more than enough.

What is the make/model - I can't tell by the photos you have posted quite what part is what. Perhaps an overall pic then one highlighting the issue.
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2017 at 8:43PM
    I had a similar situation to yours with the cable and push valve. Can you operate the flush by playing with the cable bit in your hand?

If so then try to mate the cable part in your hand with the push valve (it should just clip together) and then see if you can operate the flush with the push valve

No doubt you have already tried this, but worth mentioning. If this is not the problem then I am guessing that the actual cistern part is very difficult to access because it is under the counter.

The situation I had was the cable had come away from the part in the cistern and required me to isolate the water going to the taps, remove the P-trap, remove the flexible hoses, cut away the sealant, remove the sink, and then remove the counter to get full access to the cistern in order to fix. In fairness it only took me five hours (which includes trip to plumbers merchant to get the replacement part (Siamp Dual flush cable). I have attached a link to show a picture of a cable also available on line including another picture showing how it attaches to the flush valve.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Siamp-34495300-Optima-Flush-Valve/dp/B00HS59OA2/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0PFKY7FPFPW1DJYD6ZBN

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIAMP-32500210-2-Inch-Optima-Outlet/dp/B00VX68DIG/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RWTZPCRFX3FMFDCVKZ38
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 September 2017 at 8:59PM
    I had exactly the same problem, except that my cable had broken at the button end. I totally agree that these concealed cisterns whilst they may look nice, are a complete pain to maintain.

I am not a plumber, however, your pics look very similar to what I replaced (fairly easily & cheaply).

Have a look at this eBay listing - this is what I replaced mine with. If it is that make, then the advantage is that the whole unit simply twisted out of the cistern from the bottom, and you twist the new one in. It took me about a minute, and I only had access through the push button panel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bathroom-Toilet-Siamp-Dual-Flush-Cistern-Valve-Siphon-Chrome-Push-Button-/261495418428?hash=item3ce2576e3c:g:PuIAAOSwVFlT301T

If you want to try to reinstall the cable you already have, you can see that it clips in at the side, with the lever pushed in to one of the holes in the part that raises up to activate the flush. Sorry, but I can't remember how it clips in. Maybe you could find some other info on the web. BTW, don't bother looking for any brand markings on your flush unit, as there aren't any, as far as I could see (how stupid).

edit: Here's the manufacturer's site: http://www.siamp.co.uk/optima-50/
  • Thanks so much ritesh and cornucopia for those links that is exactly what our cable and flush valve look like so think it will be a case of just trying to fish around to find where it slots in, assumed it connected above the water line somewhere as the cable didn't look dirty like the rest of the tank!
    Now I've got those pictures to work off I can give it a go in the morning. Thanks so much, will let you know how I get on.
  • Well the good news is I've found out where it attaches, the bad news is one of the clips that holds it in place is broken so there's no way it's going back on. Will have to continue flushing it manually till we have the cash to get someone in to fix it. :(

Thanks for everyone's help,
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would definitely suggest trying to twist the whole unit (probably anti-clockwise looking down from the top) to see if you can remove it. If you can, you can properly check to see if it's the same as the listings posted above, in which case you can easily slot in a new one in a few seconds.

Unless of course you have a friendly/family plumber who won't charge too much for doing the same thing. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure