Minky Ironing Boards breaking/collapsing

Options
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum to post this in so please move if needed.

I purchased a professional line Minky ironing board around 2010, and it failed on me, collapsing within a year of having it. One of the welds fixing the legs to the rolling mechanism on board failed.

Minky sent me out a new one; great!

However, that also failed for the same reason as the first about 10 months later (October 2011). So again I contacted Minky and was sent a replacement.

This replacement has worked well, until this morning when while ironing it collapsed on my feet. Causing a fair amount of discomfort, but fortunately as I was ironing I had the iron in my hand. If the iron had also fallen it would have caused some damage to myself and the flooring too possibly. So I'm grateful that it didn't.

However, seeing that it's been over four years where do I stand? The board collapsed for the same reasons as the others. Why is this happening? Three board breaking for the same reason?

Surely ironing boards are meant to last longer than this? Is it just me? It's not like I'm being heavy handed, I simply use it and store it away when not in use.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy a different make?
  • Enigma80
    Enigma80 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Buy a different make?

They've all been free replacements so far, so haven't had to buy another one yet.

I will be doing so tonight. Just wanted to know where I stood in terms of the three I've had breaking in the same place. Surely that's some kind of design flaw?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or it could be something that you are doing that causes it.

As it has been 4.5 years since the last replacement and 6 years since original purchase then the onus is on you to prove a design flaw.

(For the various consumer legislation I'm not sure which date counts)
  • Enigma80
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Or it could be something that you are doing that causes it.

As it has been 4.5 years since the last replacement and 6 years since original purchase then the onus is on you to prove a design flaw.

(For the various consumer legislation I'm not sure which date counts)

Well this is what I don't understand. What could I possibly be doing with my ironing board that other people don't? No, this not a cue for ideas.... :naughty:

I use a steam iron, we do quite a lot of ironing (all clothes are ironed etc) hence why I spent more money on a professional type of board, I was under the impression it would last longer and be more heavy duty.

I'd like an ironing board like my mum's one. It's from the 60's, perhaps 70's. Solid steel with some vent holes, but it just feels so stable and solid.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would need to get an independent survey done on it to see if they agree it is a design flaw {and pay for it yourself}. Then armed with that you MAY get SOME compo back {less usage}
    Is it going to be worth the cost {whatever that would be} to claim a % back from the company??
  • Enigma80
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    You would need to get an independent survey done on it to see if they agree it is a design flaw {and pay for it yourself}. Then armed with that you MAY get SOME compo back {less usage}
    Is it going to be worth the cost {whatever that would be} to claim a % back from the company??

Wasn't actually thinking about a compensation claim as I haven't hurt myself. I probably would have though if I'd have been hurt or my floor was damaged.

Just that it seems odd that it was three boards all failing in the same place. I've since got an email from them saying that they'll look into it.

I accept the fact that nothing lasts forever, especially stuff made now anyway. Just annoying more than anything.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with you but I would say you were lucky that you were holding the iron at the time.If it had been an elderly person they could have suffered. I know you are not after pay back but as you say 3 in the same place to be that is IMO either very shoddy workmanship that should have been spotted in QC or a design fault.
    It is only if YOU want to spend out to get an independent report confirming both yours an my feelings :0)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2016 at 10:05AM
    Options
    A quick Google shows references to the ironing boards rusting and the rolling mechanism not bedding in correctly. e.g.

"After second use, the weld between the leg and the rolling bar that forms part of the opening/folding mechanism gave way, resulting in the ironing board collapsing and dropping our iron onto the carpet (with obvious results). We counted ourselves lucky that out 1 year old toddler was not near it at the time. Looking to get it re-welded ourselves as we would not trust a replacement. Would give zero stars if I could.".

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/345497/reviews.htm

Lots of 1 star reviws from Amazon giving more insight into the build quality of some of their ironing boards
  • Enigma80
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    A quick Google shows references to the ironing boards rusting and the rolling mechanism not bedding in correctly. e.g.

"After second use, the weld between the leg and the rolling bar that forms part of the opening/folding mechanism gave way, resulting in the ironing board collapsing and dropping our iron onto the carpet (with obvious results). We counted ourselves lucky that out 1 year old toddler was not near it at the time. Looking to get it re-welded ourselves as we would not trust a replacement. Would give zero stars if I could.".

Lots of 1 star reviws from Amazon giving more insight into the build quality of some of their ironing boards

Awesome! I heard back from Minky, and they didn't seem to care or want to know about it. The warranty was from date I purchased, not from the date they sent me replacements.

I'll draw their attention to the reviews if they haven't already seen them... :think:
  • Paully232000
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »

But then if you look at other sites that sell them these ironing boards are rated highly, most getting averages of 4 stars, some from hundreds of reviews.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/minky+ironing+boards.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=minky+ironing+boards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure