What is cooking? Poll Results & Discussion

Options
Poll ran between 31 Dec 2007-07 January 2008: What is cooking?

Modern life’s changed, while many Old Style MoneySavers still cook every ounce of a meal, getting the best possible value out of every morsel, many more favour convenience allowing the supermarkets a role in dinner’s preparation.

Scan down the list… which is the first point you would say is “cooking”
  • Microwave meal: Popping a full ready meal in the microwave. 3% (155 votes)
  • Oven ready meal: Heating a full ready meal in the oven. 2% (95 votes)
  • Full pre-prepared meal: The ingredients are all ready to heat, but need heating in different ways. 10% (581 votes)
  • Ingredients with pre-made sauces: You prepare the food but all sauces/flavourings are ready made. 37% (2268 votes)
  • Every bit home made: You make every element from constituent ingredients. 50% (3011 votes)
Voting has now ended, but you can still click reply to discuss below. :)

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    Options
    Probably ingredients with pre-made sauces (I'm lazy), perhaps microwave/oven ready (when I'm feeling really lazy), but every bit home made is definitely cooking.

Cooking, noun/verb - The art of throwing things into a pan and using them to prepare a meal while looking like you know what you're doing.
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if you can guess which way I voted... I consider the top four to be reheating, not cooking! biggrin.gif

Am baking my first sourdough loaf tomorrow...just about to put my gloopy home grown starter on to sponge up ready for the big day... wish me luck! speechless-smiley-040.gif
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely the only means of presenting a meal which can be truly called cooking is to preparare every ingredient yourself.
    Needless to say, I do not always do this myself. Well, lets not be pedantic about it.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a lot of discussion in MoneySaving towers about this... for example...

If you roast and baste a chicken but then add some gravy from oxo cubes to it... is that cooking.

What about pasta and a sauce that your prepare yourself... is it not cooking because you didn't make the pasta yourself...

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    If you roast and baste a chicken but then add some gravy from oxo cubes to it... is that cooking.

What about pasta and a sauce that your prepare yourself... is it not cooking because you didn't make the pasta yourself...
    Umm, well, it could be called cooking, I suppose - after all, we all can't make our own pasta and sauce every time (btw, my father was a professional chef for many years - and, no, he's not like Gordon Ramsey: in fact, my dad classes Mr. Ramsey as an amateur :D).
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am definitely number 5 with a teeny bit of number 4.

I make as much as possible but I buy pasta.

Lx
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    A,B and C aren't cooking but D and E depending on how pedantic you want to be.

For example when I make a curry I use curry paste not individual spices blended to make the curry does that count as cooking? Like wise who bungs in a stock cube instead of making stock from scratch , nearly everyone.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    It has to be 4 or 5.

They also have the advantage of being money-saving!
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    D & E are cooking

the others are classed as conveniance food

you could go for an F

which means you have to grow the food first ie For shepards pie you have to grow your own tat's and rear your own lamb... then butcher it then mince it yourself...
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I would say using gravy granules or OXO doesn't detract from having cooked a full meal, same using pre made pasta. I would even say using a pasta sauce from a jar could count as cooking but not taking a plastic lid off or opening the door to the guy from the local takeaway.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport