**Anglian Business Water**

Beware of Anglian Business Water!

After we received a letter earlier this year advising our water provider would be changing from Anglian Water to Anglian Water Business, we were not overly concerned and welcomed the move for some competition in this sector (or so we thought). When we received the first bill, we duly paid it.

It was only when we received another bill from our usual provider Anglian Water that alarm bells started to ring and further checks revealed Anglian Water Business had, for some unknown reason, us listed as a business and we had paid this in error. Although these days, if you don’t pay, you can of course also be penalised. It was not apparent from any of their communications that they operated solely in the business sector.

Fortunately, the amount was small, around £30, but that wasn’t the point. To get our money refunded was a complete debacle. Each person we dealt with gave a different response as to how we would receive our funds. They had us liaising with our own bank advising that our bank needed to retrieve the payment back from them. This is not normal practice, the bank can only do this if the funds have been paid via direct debit. Only when I copied my email to their MD and Customer Services Director did they promptly reply and agree to pay my refund by BACS direct into my bank account. Clarifying these arrangements took nearly 3 weeks.

Anglian Water Business’s admin is so chaotic, we even questioned them by telephone and in writing whether this was a scam and had our funds had been taken maliciously. Customer service is incompetent, at one point we had two people at Anglian Business contacting us, not knowing what the other colleague was doing.

If I hadn’t contacted Anglian Water Business, they would not have realised we had paid in error or contacted us. As their advice was so unprofessional, I really wonder if this is actually a scam to get funds under false pretences?

I felt very strongly about this, so wanted to take the time to post and warn others.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 September 2017 at 4:58PM
    SMHughes wrote: »
    Beware of Anglian Business Water!

After we received a letter earlier this year advising our water provider would be changing from Anglian Water to Anglian Water Business, we were not overly concerned and welcomed the move for some competition in this sector (or so we thought). When we received the first bill, we duly paid it.

It was only when we received another bill from our usual provider Anglian Water that alarm bells started to ring and further checks revealed Anglian Water Business had, for some unknown reason, us listed as a business and we had paid this in error. Although these days, if you don’t pay, you can of course also be penalised. It was not apparent from any of their communications that they operated solely in the business sector.

Fortunately, the amount was small, around £30, but that wasn’t the point. To get our money refunded was a complete debacle. Each person we dealt with gave a different response as to how we would receive our funds. They had us liaising with our own bank advising that our bank needed to retrieve the payment back from them. This is not normal practice, the bank can only do this if the funds have been paid via direct debit. Only when I copied my email to their MD and Customer Services Director did they promptly reply and agree to pay my refund by BACS direct into my bank account. Clarifying these arrangements took nearly 3 weeks.

Anglian Water Business’s admin is so chaotic, we even questioned them by telephone and in writing whether this was a scam and had our funds had been taken maliciously. Customer service is incompetent, at one point we had two people at Anglian Business contacting us, not knowing what the other colleague was doing.

If I hadn’t contacted Anglian Water Business, they would not have realised we had paid in error or contacted us. As their advice was so unprofessional, I really wonder if this is actually a scam to get funds under false pretences?

I felt very strongly about this, so wanted to take the time to post and warn others.

Thanks for the warning.

Who'd have thought Anglian BUSINESS Water, as opposed to Anglian Water, would be for business customers? :cool:

Did you ever contact Angian Water and ask on what authority your account was transferred from them?
    Or perhaps Anglian BUSINESS Water as to what authority they had to take over your account?

Perhaps you could post a legible image of the letter you originally received that may shed more light on all this...

Do you really think the MD of a water company actually even read your email, let alone got involved in any resolution???
    If you do, why not email him your question as to whether or not this was a scam? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure