I Just Want To Retire Debt Free

Options
Purplebonnie
Purplebonnie Posts: 138 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 31 December 2019 at 11:46AM in Debt free diaries
Four years ago I already had a fair few debts, but had a well paid job so it wasn't such an issue. Stress and bad management caused me to give up the job and I have spent the last four years in part time jobs, robbing Peter to pay Paul and adding to my debts, a situation which was basically unsustainable. I loved working part time and all I really want to do is retire, but that is impossible with all my debts.
Last month I was offered a fabulous new job on a great salary, which I have taken with the sole intention of paying off all my debts as quickly as possible. At the beginning of the month I collected together all the debts on a snowball app and came up with a total figure of £37,188.89 and a DFD of 01/05/22. I came up with a basic budget including food, petrol, presents etc. I have a 100 square grid and with each square representing £37.19 (0.1% of my total debt) which I will colour in every time I pay an extra 0.1% of my debts. A full grid is 10% of my total debts. Today was my first 'proper' pay day I have paid rounded up minimum payments to everyone. I have also paid an extra 0.1% total debt to the first credit card that I am going to concentrate on (the most expensive). To my amazement I have paid off over £1000 and my DFD dropped by a month. That felt sooooo good!
Well, that is my introduction and background. Now I am going to revisit my budget, look at where I can cut back or reduce outgoings and get ready for a frugal time ahead. I CAN do this!

September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
MBNA - £5350.73
Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
Emergency Fund Goal - £1000/£106.89
Living Fund 1 Year - £2520/£640
Travel Pot - £2000/£350
Regular Saving Fund £4800/£400

Comments

• Purplebonnie
    Purplebonnie Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2017 at 10:07AM
    Options
    I paid an extra 0.2% off my credit card and so have coloured in 3 squares on grid today. I have changed my internet contract and saved £22 per month (that's £264 per year - whoopee) and will be able to change my mobile phone contract at the end of this month. Today I am going to do a stocktake of pantry & freezer and do a meal plan before I go shopping for the week. I am also going to sort out the bathroom toiletry stock cupboard as I seem to have an awful lot of toiletries that are not being used, but I keep adding to it. Small first steps, but I CAN do this!
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound really focused purplebonnie and if you keep this up you will reach your goal. I love the idea of the grid as that sounds so motivating.

Good luck with your journey to freedom :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Morning Purplebonnie,

Welcome to diaryland :)

Good luck on your journey x
  • UncannyScot
    Options
    Hello and welcome :D
    Sounding very well organised Purplebonnie.
    I swear by using a combination of spreadsheets and OneNote to maintain my budgets.
    Everything accounted for and no surprises...

Join in on here and enjoy the community :D
    You are welcome to visit the diaries anytime ;)
    We are all here to help each other
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Purplebonnie
    Options
    Many thanks HairyHandofDartmoor, PurpleMumof2 and UncannyScot for your lovely welcomes. I will pop over to your threads later and have a good read, hoping to pick up some good tips from you ��
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's early but to my reckoning 1% would be £371 not £37. Or is that for one debt rather than the whole amount

If my brains not working, apologies but I'd hate for you to think you're further ahead than you are
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • Purplebonnie
    Options
    Hi Zenshi, you are absolutely right! My first hundred squares add up to 10% of total debt, so it should have read 0.1% (I think!!) Thanks for pointing that out :)
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Howdy !

You seem very focused ,and having a well paid job ( hopefully one that you will like ) is a great incentive to pursue your journey free of debt .

I was wondering because of the title of your diary , how old you are/ are you married with children / mortgage etc . Have you contributed to a pension These things could be part of your spending etc .

I feel for you regarding the transformation of getting out of your stressful job situation and relying on temp work which although exciting , is insecure to pay bills and survive .

Wishing you all the best in your journey
  • Purplebonnie
    Options
    Hi AnotherCasualty, many thanks for your welcome. I have another couple of years until I get my teacher's pension at 60, although I don't get a state pension until I am 66 or 67, not sure anymore on that! If we were debt free, my teacher's pension and a bit of part time work for both of us would give us a reasonable income until my (and hubby's) SP kicks in. Hence the reason I need to get rid of the debts.
    My kids have all grown up and left home but I do have a rapidly growing amount of grandchildren that cost. My hubby and I downsized a few years ago and now we don't have a mortgage but we had to renovate our new place and so that is part of the debt situation. We live rather unconventionally so were not able to get a mortgage on our new home but it does mean our outgoings are very low :)
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
  • Purplebonnie
    Options
    Morning All, Yesterday evening I did a little private job and this money is going in a pot for Emergencies. I often get bits and pieces of cash, so all this can go in the pot too.
    I get petrol expenses from work and this covers my petrol with some left over. I have a Tesco CC and I always get my petrol at a Tesco garage. So, I am going to put all my petrol expenses into this CC each month which will cover the next month's petrol and any excess will help towards repayments along with the minimum payment being made and I get the points which always help towards Christmas.
    I have an allotment that saves a huge amount of money in the summer but I have never really used it for the winter, but that is going to change. I have already planted Brussel Sprouts, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Spring Greens & Pak Choi. I have lots of winter squashes in the pantry and I have a freezer full of prepared veggies such as runner beans & beetroot, that are all home grown. Garlic will go in next month along with Broad Beans (my favourite).
    I am on grandchild sitting duty this morning, so will have a read of the diaries later which really are a source of inspiration and motivation.
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts