BMW i3 Electric Car - Am I Mad!

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    My worries are with the rapid changes in battery technology is this thing going to be as out of date as in iPhone 4 in 4 years time!.

Will it depreciate faster than a standard petrol/diesel car.
    That's my problem with something like an i3 or Tesla, nice though they are. Bought new or nearly with top notch dealer support, great idea (albeit for a large cash outlay).

But in 4 years time, things will have moved on. The type of person that wants an electric car, will be able to get one for less money as the tech becomes more ubiquitous, and the batteries get smaller and lighter and range gets longer etc etc.

Their choice will be, get an affordable and reliable long range "traditional" car new, or a slightly older and not quite as good but way cheaper "traditional" car at five years old, like your Volvo...

... or a brand new super awesome electric or hybrid car with 250+ mile range and all kinds of auto bells and whistles...

...or your five year old i3 electric car, limited to 80 miles, if their batteries weren't on their last legs, with 2015 stone age tech that puts you in mind of a Sinclair C5 compared to the 2020 iwhatever model. I think it will date heavily and the kind of people who are into electric cars, the early adopters, will move on to the new model must-have tech. People will want the new new electric tech, or the old fossil fuel tech, but nobody will want the old new electric tech.

So, depreciation has the potential to be pretty painful as nobody will want it any more than you do once the motor and batteries have 100k miles on them.

I think the congestion charge thing is a red herring. At the moment, you either suck it up and pay the £30 a week, or you change your travel times to go in early and avoid the charge (and get lighter traffic probably). If you have an electric car you can have the heavy traffic and not have to pay the £30. But buying a £21k car to save £30 a week takes 700 weeks. A thousand weeks if you were willing to drive at more awkward hours once a week.

Yes there is a fuel cost saving too. But laying out £21k for prospective per-mile "savings" does not always get you overall savings. Personally if I had a car I loved I would keep it, pay congestion charge and road tax when needed, and then eventually -once run into the ground- buy a proper modern electric, second or third or fourth generation or whatever, where they have solved the range issues, added many more charge points countrywide, probably steers itself, etc etc.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the thought of an electric car but as you have highlighted, it could be outdated very quickly, as this is still all very much in its infancy.

I would be inclined to hold off until it becomes a little more established.

I prefer the Hynudai Ioniq personally

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioniq?gclid=CKKmyuG_0s8CFQYq0wodsrwJEQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The i3 is a fun little car to drive and very nippy however on a longer run its quite scary and have been limited to 40-50mph on the M1 when the range extender kicked in.

Personally I think you are on to a winner however I don't feel that the BMW is the best Hybrid/Electric car out there.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i3 is a great car, I don't personally like the looks, but the inside looks nice. By now you'll already know that it's only a 4 seater, and the boot isn't very big.
    Resale value - Tesla do, or used to, guarantee a buy back price on their cars - was this only in the US?
    And also, haven't any of you heard of PCP? I'm driving a Renault Zoe for 2 years and handing it back, and I don't care how much it'll be worth!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    And also, haven't any of you heard of PCP? I'm driving a Renault Zoe for 2 years and handing it back, and I don't care how much it'll be worth!

Depreciation is factored in to the monthly payments, but at least you do know up-front what it is going to cost you.

If I have interpreted the BMW finance page correctly, two year PCP will cost just over £14.2k a year for 8k miles p.a.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I have interpreted the BMW finance page correctly, two year PCP will cost just over £14.2k a year for 8k miles p.a.
    So just under 89p/mile before insurance, maintenance, electricity etc.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:44PM
    Options
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    I have found a nice 65 Reg well specced i3 RE for £21000ish

My worries are with the rapid changes in battery technology is this thing going to be as out of date as in iPhone 4 in 4 years time!.

Will it depreciate faster than a standard petrol/diesel car.

Am I best holding off on the dream of Electric for now and sticking with what is still only an 18 month old ultra reliable and superb Volvo Oil burner..

I know its a very personal and subjective choice but would be interested in thoughts and opinions.

Having now used a pure electric car (Leaf) as my main car for over 18 months I find it odd why any one would choose a petrol/diesel car if current EV mets their work/lifestyle needs.

The i3 is a fab little car, my only real compliant it's just too small for a growing family.

Real life range will be similar to the American EPA rating, the EPA range of my Leaf is about 75 miles, which is almost exactly what I get in real world use around the year. In summer it's as high as 90 miles, in winter worst I've seen is 70 miles.

Regarding range/price, just bare in mind the bigger battery i3 has just come out, so you should be able to pick a smaller battery car alot less than £21k, more £18K, some apparently have been able to pick up ex-demos for £17K.

Battery charge capacity is increasing all the time though, Renault have just announced the 40kWh Zoe which will have nearly double the range of the old i3 for £30Kish before discounts. GM in the US are about to start delivery of the Bolt, which is retailing for $37K and has a 60kWh battery. Tesla on the other hand have just introduced a 100kWh battery pack, but at a starting price of £120Kish.

What ever you buy now will be available for cheaper in 2-3 years time, but like all things electronic, if you wait for the next best thing your never buy anything at all.

I leased my Leaf and am glad I'm giving it back to Nissan, only because the extra-bit of range offered by having a 30-40% bigger battery makes long M-ways a reality. We've now got a order in for a Tesla, it's hugely more expensive than the Leaf, but will deliver the real world range we are happy with as a family. Even in 5-6-7 years time the Tesla will still be 100% suitable for our needs regardless of what else is on the market.

Personally I cannot think of a better time to get into EVs than now, a few decades from now you can be proud to tell people you were amounts the first to get an EV. I still remember the first digital camera we bought, it only took photos in VGA resolution, could only store 16 photos in it's memory and the battery ran out of charge after about 50 shots, some friends at the time said digital cameras would never catch on :rotfl:
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depreciation is factored in to the monthly payments, but at least you do know up-front what it is going to cost you.

Yep it's factored in, and can be ignored for PCP. My point being that with PCP the number at the end, is fixed at the start. That means it's simply not a risk.
    So, this was the answer to 'what if electric cars depreciate loads?' - that question applies to any car, but PCP removes that risk. Petrol, diesel or electric.

It looks like people do have trouble selling second hand electric cars because of real and genuine concerns like battery life and the fast development of them. Biggest problem with it in my experience is with the Renault Zoe, and the battery rental that goes along with it. It's fine when you're buying a new one, and it's all just wrapped up in a PCP, but if I wanted to sell it privately, I'd be passing an £80/month lease onto someone else.

Therefore I'd say PCP/Lease is the way to go with electric cars, but again, these are the most popular methods for people to 'buy' petrols and diesels too, so no problem there.
    So just under 89p/mile before insurance, maintenance, electricity etc.

Yes, as with most other deals. Granted, maintenance is sometimes included.

For comparison, I'll be spending ~£4k running a Zoe 15,000 miles over 2 years.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

You must have seriously misread it. That's more than a thousand a month. A quick look at quotes is showing me around £300/month and anyway it's a £30k car so you'd pretty much have bought it at that price ! Were you looking at an i8?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Crikey, yes - I read the £14,200 as being over the two years, not per year. That's gotta be wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure