This is a feedback thread on heating oil broker

Fueltool

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
The feedback comes as part of the

Comments

• shaun1d
    Options
    Hi
    I have just had an oil heating system installed, as such I have no idea about purchasing oil. I found this fueltool website and would like to read some independent reviews to see if they are a good way to buy oil.

Thanks
  • oldgoat1204
    Options
    Bloody brilliant.my supplier asked 53,p per litre,fuel tool got it for 42p,and and and,it was delivered by my regular supplier,,,use fueltool every time
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 February 2015 at 5:37PM
    Options
    I've ordered 1100 litres today from one of my regular local suppliers, for 37.25 ppl. Out of curiosity I've just looked at FuelTool, their cheapest quote is 43.35.

In reply to Shaun1d, always ALWAYS shop around every time you need oil. Look in yellow pages, find 5 or 6 local suppliers, ring them up and ask for their price. The difference between suppliers can sometimes be as much as 10 ppl, which is a big difference when you're buying 1000 litres or so.

And the cheapest supplier one time will not necessarily be the cheapest next time. For instance, today, the supplier who has been cheapest for the last 3 fills was about 5 ppl more expensive than the one I went for today.

And haggle. Nearly always, if I say "Sorry, I've already had a cheaper quote", they'll ask who the cheaper quote was from and offer to match - or sometime beat - it.

Websites like this and BoilerJuice are useful to get a benchmark price, but always shop around.

Don't get sucked into a direct debit scheme with a single supplier. It sounds great - you make a payment every month, they'll top you up when you need it. But you're stuck with the one supplier, and they'll usually top you up when it's convenient for them, not for you ( e.g. when they're in the area anyway, or when prices are higher ). Much better to put money aside each month into a separate account yourself ( maybe even earn a few pennies interest on it ! ), then you'll have the money ready when you need to buy oil.

Lastly, prices vary daily. At the moment they are lower than they've been for many years, but in general they tend to be cheaper in the summer and more expensive in winter - simple supply and demand. So if you can, plan to fill up say in Autumn and avoid having to buy in the middle of Winter if you can. This is where having the largest tank possible comes in handy :)

Hope this helps.
  • Oil_heating_01257230537
    Oil_heating_01257230537 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 March 2015 at 5:37PM
    Options
    In every case I would always get prices from your local suppliers. 5 or 6 if possible. Don't wait until you run out (if possible), as you have less on your side. If you can wait until they are delivering to others close to you you will, or should get a better price. If your in the lancashire, south lakes and Cumbria areas I will soon have a page on my site that local suppliers can input their best daily prices.
  • Thickoak
    Thickoak Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 28 March 2015 at 8:49PM
    Options
    I am also a new oil user and decided to try Fuel Tool. Easy to use site and useful getting updates on prices by email. Ordering also easy but no details of who you are ordering from until checkout.

I over ordered. The electronic device in my plug in house was showing nearly empty, so ordered just over half a tank. Was too much to go in. Was charged full amount ordered. Asked for refund of difference. No reply to 3 emails. Did see on the ticket given to me by driver it says you can be charged £1.77 per mile for any fuel to be taken back to depot. There is NO information about this on Fuel Tool site before you order.

This has turned out to be an expensive exercise for me and would have been cheaper using nearest supplier. NOT happy not even getting reply from supplier on Fuel Tool. :mad:
    Look forward to your site Oil heating. Am in your area!!
  • Thickoak
    Options
    I must correct previous thread. The fuel tool site is good and trustworthy. The price I was quoted was cheaper than local supplier. My complaint should have been directed at the supplier I chose from Fuel tool. After getting no response from the supplier, contacted Fuel tool and got immediate response saying they will be in touch with supplier and was a message to them to reply to me. Pretty impressive. Will await outcome. If people are new to oil like me, they may incorrectly blame Fuel tool instead of the supplier. Must also say, delivery was amazingly fast. Ordered Mon lunch. Here early Wed am.
  • whybelieve
    whybelieve Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I was very nervous to pay for my oil through the website without knowing if this was a scam or not... but I have no complaints at all!

I phoned around all the local suppliers and none of them could match the price I was being offered on this site. I ordered and paid for 2,500 litres of oil yesterday on a 3 day delivery and the oil was delivered today! (the next day)

They had the cheapest price and also the fastest service - will definitely use them again!
  • jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have used Fueltool twice now. They are always the cheapest and deliver quicker than the estimates. I used boilerjuice once and they took ages, I had to keep ringing up the supplier to check where my oil was. Admittedly this might not be boilerjuice's fault but it stopped me using them, plus they are not as cheap as Fueltool.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2015 at 1:24PM
    Options
    My experience has been that Fueltool are always at least 2ppl more than BoilerJuice.

I agree that BoilerJuice take up to the maximum time to deliver if you want their cheapest price, but I never let my oil tank get so low as to cause concern.

I find BoilerJuice always quote their cheapest price at the weekend and if enough people order they refund the difference.

The Heating Oil Club also quote cheap prices.

https://theheatingoilclub.co.uk/
  • Born_Cynic
    Born_Cynic Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 September 2015 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Be very careful when comparing Fuel Tool's online price quotation with others, they show the total price with VAT included and one might be deceived into thinking the p/litre also includes VAT - IT DOES NOT!!
    They are currently 2.8% more expensive than my local supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback