Money Moral Dilemma: Should I help my smoker partner save money on cigarettes?

Former_MSE_Rebecca
Former_MSE_Rebecca Posts: 173 Forumite
edited 11 September 2014 at 4:37PM in MoneySaving polls
I’m a non-smoker but my partner smokes around 20 a day which I don't like. Sometimes he spends more than he needs to buying them in an expensive shop when I know somewhere I can buy them cheaper. Should I buy them to save money? Or refuse on principle?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Without getting into the fact that he shouldn't be smoking for his health, it's reason enough to stop because of how expensive it is. If the money he spends comes out of a joint source, ie you pool all your finances, it's reasonable to ask and expect him to try and buy the cheapest he can find. If it's his money to waste though, it's up to him where he buys them. If you are happy to buy them for him, you may as well get them cheaper if you can.
  • :think: ... talk to him about it ... yawn!
  • I'm intrigued as to where you can buy the cigarettes cheaper - is it a legitimate source ? If it isn't, then I would suggest that you work on him giving up cigarettes completely. If it is legitimate, then I would take him there and point out the price and insist that if he insists on smoking, then he buys them there.
  • You can mention you saw them cheaper somewhere, and then resume letting him make his own decisions, being an adult and all..
  • I would buy them but ask him to give you money he was previously paying. Then put the difference in to a savings jar for something nice.
    Recently married and loving it x
  • You might as well mention it, I'm sure he already knows that you don't want him to smoke.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would buy them but ask him to give you money he was previously paying. Then put the difference in to a savings jar for something nice.

Like his funeral when he kicks the bucket from cardiovascular disease.
  • If they're going to smoke, they're going to smoke. Help them save money if you can

My wife has just stopped smoking after 16 years, using 'vapes' (refillable e-cigs) and a nicotine patch. The combined cost of the two is still less than smoking.

Smoking e-cigs is healthier (i never said healthy...) than 'real' cigs and significantly cheaper - so maybe that's one direction you could push your partner towards.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, keep giving him cheaper cigarettes if you're eager to collect his life insurance money!
    Seriously, NO! Just encourage him to stop smoking altogether nd help him to prolong his life. Watching somebody die from lung cancer is not pleasant. Not very nice for the victim either!
  • If he is daft enough to smoke and daft enough to pay over the odds for his smokes then he's just daft. Find a new partner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure