MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required

Options
One-Eye
One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 5 October 2016 at 4:05PM in Site feedback
Since approx 11am this morning (03/10) if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

This applies to new posts only - posts created before 11am are still behaving correctly.

This needs to revert back to normal ASAP.

This is the exact same fault as happened in July 2015 - See THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD

This (from July 2015) may give a clue as to what has been messed up:
fermi wrote: »
Some change they made has removed the target="_blank" attribute from posted links, which makes them open in a new window or tab by default.

Hopefully they will put things back the way they were when they've had a chance for someone techie competent to take a look.

The MSE Techies should also note that correcting the problem for new posts will still leave any posts done from 11am 03/10 until the time the fault is corrected working incorrectly. I recall that in July 2015 a subsequent process was run to correct all the faulty links in posts made whilst the fault existed.

In a nutshell:

For this link: https://www.google.co.uk/

The source code is:
<a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/&quot; rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a&gt;

but it should be:
<a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/&quot; target="_blank" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a&gt;

Comments

• mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    One-Eye wrote: »
    Since approx 11am this morning (03/10) if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

This applies to new posts only - posts created before 11am are still behaving correctly.

This needs to revert back to normal ASAP.

This is the exact same fault as one of the two faults in THIS THREAD from July 2015.

This needs sorting come:mad: on MSE get it fixed.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • mattytun
    Options
    Can MSE please confirm if they are working on a fix for this as its annoying while doing competitions:cool:.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just right click and open link in new tab until they fix it :money:
  • mattytun
    Options
    Spinkz wrote: »
    Just right click and open link in new tab until they fix it :money:
    Yes, that's what I am doing it;) would be nice if MSE gave us feedback and told us if they are working on a fix.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    same happening to me and it's very annoying. Who has broken something this time? Please can you get it back to how it was ASAP?
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please can you fix this or at least let us know it is being looked at. Thanks.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought it was me. Another request for an acknowledgement that it's being attended to, please.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 4:12PM
    Options
    This fault causes big problems for those using tablets etc who can't CTRL+CLICK

I have posted additional info in post #1 which explicity shows the problem that needs correcting.

All that is needed now is someone at MSE Towers to acknowledge this thread and let us know a solution is being worked on.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One-Eye wrote: »
    All that is needed now is someone at MSE Towers to acknowledge this thread and let us know a solution is being worked on.

It really only needs a tiny bit of coding to fix the problem so it's very hard to understand what the delay is.

Unless of course nobody from MSE ever looks at this board despite it being for feedback on the site.
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I thought it was just my laptop!

Please fix this. I know that I can right click and open in a new tab, but people using tablets don't necessarily have that luxury and it's getting really annoying having to remember to do it rather than just clicking on a link as normal!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business