Investing newbie with questions...

Options
On the back of recommendation here i bought the "DIY Simple Investing" book by John Edwards. So far so good and i'm finding it very helpful so big thanks for the recommendation.

I've just got to the section where he discusses charges and the impact of charges and now i have questions. I will probably have questions later on as i work more through this book so you'll have to excuse me for bumping the thread from time to time.

The book took me to http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Before the read i had decided i was going to go with Hagreaves Lansdown. Their layout i thought was easy for a novice like me to understand. Well maybe not easy but easier. I felt more comfortable with that than the much mentioned Cavendish Online.

So i go to that link and try to find a comparison for the two.

I was surprised by the charges if i understood them right. I thought HL didn't charge to deal? Or was i just badly misinformed?

My plan was to invest in a tracker of some description once i'd understood more and taken a closer look at what was available rather than a big list of funds. Just invest in a single simple tracker and then be done with. Maybe take a look in 1-2 years time. My contributions will be monthly.

So firstly i see i'm going to be charged 0.45%. Looking around this seems on the higher side, correct, or not?
I then notice the £11.95 charge. What is that exactly? £11.95 per purchase (so if i pay in £100 per month then it's really only £88.05? £11.95 per year? Is that even applicable to a tracker fund?)
£1.50 for "regular investing". I'm guessing this is the one that is deducted from my monthly contributions, so that £100 is actually only £98.50?

In comparison Cavendish Online are much much cheaper (if i've understood right), but is there any reason i should look at HL over Cavendish?

Could someone please spare the time to go through the charges explanation with me?

Don't worry, the charges is somewhere around halfway in the book, so i made it that far with only 1 question :)

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 28 May 2017 at 10:20PM
    Options
    So firstly i see i'm going to be charged 0.45%. Looking around this seems on the higher side, correct, or not?
    Correct, that is about the highest of the percentage-based providers that you could possibly find.

However if you only have £1000 invested all year it's only £4.50, so it's cheaper than the fixed fee providers who charge some lower amount and then a fee for every type of transaction.
    I was surprised by the charges if i understood them right. I thought HL didn't charge to deal? Or was i just badly misinformed?
    They charge explicitly for each transaction when you want them to execute a buy or sell trade on the stock market. However, if you just want to subscribe into an open-ended fund, they do not charge for that, as they cover the cost of that work in the 0.45% platform fee that they charge on the fund value. See below:
    I then notice the £11.95 charge. What is that exactly? £11.95 per purchase (so if i pay in £100 per month then it's really only £88.05? £11.95 per year? Is that even applicable to a tracker fund?)
    £1.50 for "regular investing". I'm guessing this is the one that is deducted from my monthly contributions, so that £100 is actually only £98.50?
    The £11.95 transaction fee at HL is a charge for buying shares, exchange traded funds or investment trusts. Those are things that their brokers would need to buy for you on the stock exchange (which is an open market in which you agree to buy a share of the company or trust off somebody who wants to sell, with prices changing up to several times a second during business hours). For dealing with an order for you on the stock exchange it is £11.95 per transaction (a buy or a sell).

Alternatively for 'regular investing' of stock exchange listed investments, whereby your orders are pooled with other investors on a fixed day or two per month and dealt with on a bulk basis (rather than a real time, personal trade just for you), the charge you £1.50.

As you can imagine, it would be quite expensive if every time you wanted to spend £100 to buy an investment it cost you £11.95 or even £1.50. Really you would only want to incur a transaction fee to directly buy shares or ETFs or investment trusts off the stock market if you were spending several hundred pounds (or preferably several thousand pounds) on each transaction.

But HL don't charge those trading fees if you are not actually trading anything on the open market. Many investors do not buy shares in individual companies or investment trusts off other people on the stock exchange. If you are merely placing an order to subscribe into an open-ended investment fund (OEIC or Unit Trust), whereby HL or Cavendish inform the fund manager that you would like to put £x into their fund at the next valuation point, and the fund manager issues brand new shares in their fund to you at that time - the investment platform does not charge you.

They are already getting their 0.45% per year of your fund value (up to a quarter of a million quid), so they can afford to carry out that activity for you for 'free', i.e. no transaction cost. Similarly if you want to redeem your shares in an open-ended fund (give up the shares and have the manager cash them in), then they will not charge you. Whereas, if you were holding shares which could only be disposed of by selling them to somebody else on the stock market, they would charge you £11.95.

Your question 'is that even applicable to a tracker fund': it depends what type of tracker fund it is.

- If it is a 'normal' open ended fund (OEIC or unit trust) which you find from the big list of funds at 'fund prices and research' on the HL website (http://www.hl.co.uk/funds), then there is no transaction fee and the work is covered by the annual 0.45% charge on the first quarter million pounds of value.

- If instead is an 'exchange traded fund (ETF)' then that's a special type of fund that is bought and sold on the stock exchange just like share in an individual company such as Tesco or HSBC or Microsoft. HL would charge you £11.95 (or £1.50) for the purchase and £11.95 for a sale. Those are charged on things you would find in the 'share prices and stock markets' section of the HL website (http://www.hl.co.uk/shares).

For ETFs and other things bought on the stockexchange inside an ISA, you only pay the 0.45% annual fee up to £45 (i.e. on the first £10k rather than on the first quarter million) because they are expecting to make transaction fees off you.

Just for completeness - if you are not using an ISA for some reason, just a simple 'unwrapped' general investment account (they call it the fund and share account) HL don't charge the 0.45% at all on stock-exchange-traded stuff because there is less HMRC admin and they are getting transaction fees so don't need to make as much money off you; but they still charge you the 0.45% fees on the open-ended funds stuff.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    Thank you. I hope you stick with me through this as you've been a huge help so far. I thought i'd create a new thread rather than continue the old as this is heading away from IFA charges since i've pretty much decided to go it alone now.

The one fund i will be looking at closer once i finish the book is the VLS perhaps VLS80. I'm 34. Not to say that's where i'll put my money but from what i've picked up so far both through the book and online that is the first place i'll be looking. My monthly contribution will be around the £200 mark. It'll actually probably be a bit more but i prefer to give figures on the conservative side.

So i take from this then that i will only be charged the 0.45% and not any trading charges. Even still, i may as well take a closer look at Cavendish if i can get the same thing for less.

You touched upon ISAs. I haven't fully decided. Before i went into this i was 100% pensions. At the moment i'm keeping an open mind sort of but i will either be placing my money in the form of a pension or S&S ISA.

Another question ... i have approx. £7,500 to deposit. Whether it's with HL,Cavendish or whoever, would you throw that in in one whack or drip feed it bit by bit (and if so what would your bit be?).
  • bowlhead99
    edited 28 May 2017 at 11:22PM
    Options
    The one fund i will be looking at closer once i finish the book is the VLS perhaps VLS80. I'm 34. Not to say that's where i'll put my money but from what i've picked up so far both through the book and online that is the first place i'll be looking. My monthly contribution will be around the £200 mark. It'll actually probably be a bit more but i prefer to give figures on the conservative side.

So i take from this then that i will only be charged the 0.45% and not any trading charges. Even still, i may as well take a closer look at Cavendish if i can get the same thing for less.
    Correct there is no transaction fee at HL for buying an open ended fund such as Vanguard Lifestrategy 80% Equity or any other open ended fund.

However if you are happy with one fund from one manager and that provider has a 'direct to customer' offering rather than you needing to go through a fund supermarket or broker, it is always worth looking at that option. In the case of Vanguard, their recently launched direct retail offering is at https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/home and has an annual percentage fee of 0.15% with no transaction fees. That's cheaper than both HL and Cavendish.

The 'downside' is only products from Vanguard are available, however if you only want or need one fund and you are happy with that one, it is not much of a downside :) You could always transfer later to someone else, some years down the line. But don't get too hung up on platform fees to the extent that you cut yourself off from all the other funds available to save 0.1% which is basically only a tenner on £10k and dwarfed by your investment gains or losses. If there is a better non-Vanguard fund for your needs that you could get from Cavendishonline or someone else and not from Vanguard because it's not a Vanguard fund, then don't let the tail wag the dog.

You touched upon ISAs. I haven't fully decided. Before i went into this i was 100% pensions. At the moment i'm keeping an open mind sort of but i will either be placing my money in the form of a pension or S&S ISA.
    The real downside with going to Vanguard direct is that they don't currently offer SIPPs or LISAs while other platform providers would. They will probably look to add other options in due course once they are fully up and running (their UK platform is relatively new).
    Another question ... i have approx. £7,500 to deposit. Whether it's with HL,Cavendish or whoever, would you throw that in in one whack or drip feed it bit by bit (and if so what would your bit be?).
    If you are putting in (say) £250 a month, you are already drip feeding £3000 a year into your funds as you earn money. So over the course of your life, viewed on a five decade timeframe from now until your mid-80s life expectancy, the money you invest is being 'dripped' into the markets at £3000 (or more) a year. So in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if this £7500 is coming in this year or next year or the year after or some averaged midpoint.

If putting it all in today and then seeing a 40% loss over the next 12 months would freak you out, feel free to drip it in at £600pm. But (a) you might end up buying fewer units for your money that way, because markets generally go up rather than down, and (b), if you only just get your £7k deployed by May 2018 and *then* there's a crash with 40% loss over the following 12 months, you are no better off than if you invested today and had the crash start tomorrow.

Unless you have a lot of luck - or psychic ability to time markets perfectly - you will never get it exactly right whether you decide to buy now or defer. Investing by drip drip drip can be a good psychological crutch to make you feel better that your money is not so much at risk. But, you want your money to be at risk, that's the whole point of investing - to take risks and reap rewards. If the risk is too high, simply pick something lower risk.

With only £7500 it's worth asking whether you have already maxed out the top bank current account offers and regular savers offering up to 5% risk free. If not, and if you are naturally averse to risk, it might make sense to just go ahead and do your lump sum to the S&S ISA or LISA or pension now but then be dripping your £200pm or £250pm or whatever into a bank or building society regular saver taking no investment risk for a decent return, and then once you get a year down the line you will have a maturing ~£3k lump which you could put into the markets next May/June time, and at that point you could reconsider if you wanted to carry on using regular savers or investments on the new money becoming available to you.
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    Thanks. I did think i was going to put the £7.5k in in one but i am well aware that i have limited knowledge on this topic so i don't want to do something wrong through lack of knowledge.

I have maxed out the bank accounts but i prefer not to go too much into detail there.

Regards the LISA, i've seen a few times MArtin Lewis saying this is only really any good for the self employed. I just remember from what he said it's basically not good for me. I'm not sure how though since can a simple index tracker guarantee 25% each year? It's quite an amount. So surely it is good? So simply just because of him i was not looking at the LISA.
  • bowlhead99
    edited 29 May 2017 at 10:07AM
    Options
    Re: the LISA-

A LISA, compared to a normal S&S ISA, gives a 25% bonus on new money contributed, with the restriction that if you want to withdraw it out before age 60 (other than in limited circumstances such as buying a first property or being terminally ill) you will have to pay a 25% penalty of everything you take out (so the penalty would be greater than the bonus received, if you wanted early access).

If you are definitely going to be able to afford to put the money away until age 60+ rather than age 55 or 50 or 40 or whatever, then LISA is fine and preferable to S&S ISA; a free bonus from the government is not to be sniffed at.

However, most people can get a similar effect by putting their money into a pension ; if you put £4k into a pension as a basic rate taxpayer, the government will give tax relief to top it up to £5k (which is mathematically the same as if they had given you 25% 'bonus' in a LISA) and then when you reach retirement age you might well be able to draw some or all of it out tax-free within your personal allowance.

So, getting tax relief now on money into a pension and paying no tax later is almost as good as putting your taxed salary into a LISA and getting a bonus on it and drawing it out tax free later. I say 'almost' because withdrawing a pension out without any tax whatsoever in retirement will require you never take out so much in one tax year that combined with other taxable income you over your personal allowance... whereas with a LISA you can take it all at age 61 to go and buy a Porsche convertible if you like. With a pension you couldn't take out that amount of money tax free all at once because it would take you into high rate tax for that year.

A pension also has the potential benefit that it is not taken into account for means testing and bankruptcy and is not within your 'estate' for inheritance taxes. But the major potential advantage of a pension that Martin alludes to, is that if you are employed, your employer will be willing to contribute into a pension for you, and in some cases will put more in if you put in. And if it is a salary sacrifice scheme you can save on your national insurance bill too. So Martin's comment about self-employed is that if you are employed, you should definitely not turn down the free employer money within the pension just so you can go off and do a LISA investment yourself. Martin doesn't want people to reject perfectly good free money from their employers and go off and do their own thing with a LISA and be overall worse off.

Whereas if you are self-employed that's not really a consideration because getting free employer money is not something that's on the table anyway. So that's where his comment probably came from.

If you are a high rate taxpayer it makes relatively more sense to use a pension because the maximum potential tax relief is way higher than the bonus that's available in a LISA. Even if you are a low rate taxpayer now and only expect to be a high rate taxpayer in a few years time, it's fine to avoid LISA and do S&S ISA instead for now, because you can remove it in a few years penalty-free and put it in to a pension for high rate tax relief at that point, whereas there is no penalty-free withdrawal in a few years time if you went the LISA route.

So, whether a LISA is more useful to you than pension or S&S ISA or not is something that will depend entirely on your personal circumstances, and you shouldn't take a soundbite generalisation that "it's basically not good for me" without understanding why it is that a person would suggest it's not good for your spare £200pm. The reason and assumptions might be valid, or they might not be relevant.

For example, you mention that up to now you have only been investing in pensions rather than S&S ISAs. So let's assume you have been investing in pensions for a while and will continue to invest in pensions for the next thirty years, building up a substantial pot of money from you and your employer and tax relief. Then you retire and your income from work stops. You might well have enough private pension built up to be able to max out your personal allowance with pension income each year until your state pension kicks in, and once you've run out of personal allowance any extra pension income will only get an initial 25% tax-free lump sum, with the remaining 75% being taxable at basic rate.

So in that scenario, where you will already have reasonable pensions but are able to contribute another amount now...

...for example £4k now into a pension creates £5k of pension after the tax relief, but you would be paying basic rate tax on 75% of that pension when drawn out, which is about £750 of tax out of the £5k. Or £1500 tax on £10k or £3000 tax on £20k; basically a decent chunk of tax is going to be lost whatever the £5k grows into. Whereas if you contribute £4k now to a LISA and get a government bonus of 25% taking it to £5k of investments, there is absolutely zero tax to pay when you draw out the £5k or £10k or £20k over the age of 60. So, LISA beats pension quite soundly, in that example.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi NMO

If you are now investigating charges etc then I highly recommend Sowman's Coolly Comparing Investment Platform charges spreadsheet.

I've found it to be far more comprehensive than most of the online offerings I have found and make use of it periodically to double check the state of the market.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    I had pretty much written off LISAs based purely on what Martin said but now i'm not so sure.
    Also if you need more personal information from me to help in helping me rather than guesstimates then just ask. I'll shoot with a few right now...

* I'm 34
    * Last year i hit £21k. My pay fluctuates with overtime (which isn't optional) so i'd be somewhere around the £20k-£22k marker.
    * I pay into a workplace pension. I've reduced my contributions back to their minimum while i decide what i'm going to do so that's somewhere ROUGHLY around £14 per month
    * My employer will only ever pay in the bare minimum. The only way i'll change this is change employer.
    * Salary Sacrifice isn't an option. I did ask about it but they said no. They gave the fact they'd need to pay someone who is off on sick leave as "one" reason they wont do it.
    * I'm aware of the better deal higher rate tax payers have with pensions but it's highly unlikely i will ever be in a position to be one of these people.

* I will be looking at paying in somewhere around £200 per month into my .... [retirement plan] in terms of AVCs (beyond the minimum that will be going in to my workplace pension which i am aware will be rising from 1%).
    * It is highly unlikely i will be able to sustain the £334 per month for 12 months in order to hit the £4k you mentioned (linking pensions and their tax relief with LISAs and their 25% bonus).

So on that note......

1) Do S&S LISAs operate like S&S ISAs?
    In that you invest in the same funds in a LISA as you would a S&S ISA, they rise & fall like a S&S ISA but the only difference really is the government also throw in 25% of your contribution.
    So a S&S ISA gets £1000 in, it rises in value after a year by £200 so the pot = £1,200 end of year 1.
    a LISA gets that same £1000, it's been invested in the fund you would've anyway with a S&S ISA so it rises by that same £200 except the government throw in 25% of your £1000 so you're now sitting on £1,450 end of year 1.

Is that it?

2) Once you put money into a LISA i'm aware once you take money out (withdraw) you get hit with a penalty. Can you instead of withdrawing TRANSFER to a S&S ISA without penalty? Can you even somehow TRANSFER to a pension without penalty? Or is that just a case of putting apples in with oranges?

I have no desire to take my money out. A little while ago for example we had a problem with one of our cars. We had money in a S&S ISA which was the beginnings of our retirement plan. We could've gone to it to bail ourselves out but that's not what it's for. We found a way to work through it. Favours off family & friends and that's the point - this retirement plan for each of us does not want to be touched, at all. It defeats the purpose.

So on that note, bearing in mind my contribution amounts, the fact i'll likely never be a higher rate tax payer and also depending on your answer to question #1 then i'm at the moment thinking it may be best looking at pensions or LISAs now.

As you say though, the whole means tested & inheritance thing with pensions is a big draw.

Anyway, looking forward to your response on this. My wife can't get in to this kind of thing so i'm having to do it for the both of us. It helps that while i find it challenging learning about all this i also find it quite interesting. Many would call me sad i guess, especially those i work with but hey ho. I guess i'm sad :)
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    1) Do S&S LISAs operate like S&S ISAs?
    In that you invest in the same funds in a LISA as you would a S&S ISA, they rise & fall like a S&S ISA but the only difference really is the government also throw in 25% of your contribution.
    So a S&S ISA gets £1000 in, it rises in value after a year by £200 so the pot = £1,200 end of year 1.
    a LISA gets that same £1000, it's been invested in the fund you would've anyway with a S&S ISA so it rises by that same £200 except the government throw in 25% of your £1000 so you're now sitting on £1,450 end of year 1.
    Yes, they should all operate just the same as a S&S ISA but the LISA will get the extra 25% at the end of each full year.

Unfortunately, as it is new, there are only a few providers but Vanguard's new platform does not offer the LISA ( they will be introducing a SIPP at a later date).
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

The 'downside' is only products from Vanguard are available, however if you only want or need one fund and you are happy with that one, it is not much of a downside :)

Having a limited choice of good, low cost funds could be a good thing as many investors get paralyzed by choice on platforms like H&L. You'll have ample choice on Vanguard and the new site has some sensible advice.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Yes, they should all operate just the same as a S&S ISA but the LISA will get the extra 25% at the end of each full year.
    You get 25% bonus on all the 2017/2018 contributions (including transfers in) in April 2018 and 25% bonus of all further contributions on a monthly basis thereafter, very much like the tax relief on pension contributions.

Not quite as good as 25% each year!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport