eBay / PayPal - Seller claiming unauthorised transaction and they have won case

Options
I recently sold a quite an expensive item on eBay costing several hundred pounds. I received payment and posted special delivery.

A month later I got an email from eBay saying they have had to cancel the transaction and to not post anything (a bit late for that).

The buyer has claimed it was an unauthorised transaction and even though I provided proof of postage, they sided with the buyer, deducted the money from my account and are now demanding that I restore the balance. They even charged me a "chargeback" fee.

They say the credit card issuer also decided in the buyer's favour and that they can't dispute the transaction any further.

Is there anything I can do? I can't really afford to pay the money back and although I emailed the buyer, they have not responded.

I read somewhere that I could appeal the decision but, dispute PayPal's help pages, there is no 'Appeal' button on the case.

The whole process seems very one-sided and I'm surprised it is this easy to rip people off on eBay.

Comments

• Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    To quote the excellent Soolin in one of her recent replies to a similar post: 'Paypal seller protection is your right under their terms and conditions, it is not a goodwill gesture. As long as your item was eligible for seller protection and you provide proof of postage to the correct address you cannot lose.'

Have you approached Paypal, or only ebay?
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go to the contact page on the PayPal site it tells you how you can phone them, have you done this?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, assuming you complied with all the PayPal requirements for seller protection * you are covered and you need to contact PayPal and remind them of the fact.

*these include posting to the address given by PayPal and which says 'OK to send to*, posting within 7 days of payment, plus a few extras.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    even though I provided proof of postage, they sided with the buyer

Was this a PayPal case, and did you provide the details and proof of posting within the 7 days they stipulate?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Was this a PayPal case, and did you provide the details and proof of posting within the 7 days they stipulate?

To be clear, you don't need to provide the POP within 7 days, you need to prove you SENT the item within 7 days.

OP, what did you sell (non specific), when did it sell, when did you send it and how did you get the address to send it to?

Ebay aside, was the case for unauthorised use opened on Paypal? Did you supply anything to the case?
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    To be clear, you don't need to provide the POP within 7 days, you need to prove you SENT the item within 7 days.
    I just checked, when a PayPal Case is opened, the email you receive gives you 10 days to respond, which as we know, requires at least a proof of posting.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    Options
    I just checked, when a PayPal Case is opened, the email you receive gives you 10 days to respond, which as we know, requires at least a proof of posting.

I've always followed up my uploading of POP with a phone call to remind PayPal of my seller protection. I've even followed up my follow up phone call with another call a day or two later (paranoid ? Me?) . Never lost a claim for unauthorised use yet.

It's a shame OP hasn't come back as I fear time is of the element here if this is going to be successfully appealed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

Yes, but I was clarifying your earlier post.

You need to give the proof of posting which shows you sent the item within 7 days. It's not a case of allowing a case to be opened and then uploading a pop within 7 days. The 7 day deadline is for posting, not providing the pop.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wonder if they go their account hacked ?

Assuming the goods have not been returned it strikes me as theft if they have received the goods ?
  • soolin
    Options
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    I wonder if they go their account hacked ?

Assuming the goods have not been returned it strikes me as theft if they have received the goods ?

OP's obviously not bothered either way as they haven't come back to update.

This was something that was easily sorted if done quickly, but more difficult the longer it drags on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure