Stoptober: Ask Stoptober a question

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 25 September 2017 at 2:09PM in Marriage, relationships & families
img-disease.png

Hi everyone,

It's nearly Stoptober! Cigarettes cost so much it's the perfect time to try giving up, with everyones' support! We have tons of ways to help you so join in and be a quitter!

Ask Stoptober a question!

The Stoptober campaign guys are here on the forum to answer your questions. Click "reply" below, join in, and ask. They'll aim to reply back as soon as they can. They'll also be posting up replies to some of the frequently asked questions they get generally.

Join the forum to join in

The Info

Here are some important links where you can find out more about Stoptober and how you can get involved.

Earn a Stoptober badge

If you've managed to quit and gone the full length of Stoptober without smoking reply to this thread to let us know, including how much you've saved, and you'll get a 'Stoptober Survivor' badge from MSE Badger.
stoptoberbadge.png

Track your progress - get your forum signatures ready!

Keep track of your progress in your forum signature, eg. "My Stoptober savings so far: £55". Keeping a reminder of how much you've saved in your forum signature should help keep you on motivated each time you post!

Thank you to our Families board regulars!

We could have posted this on our Health & Beauty board but we're more likely to help a lot more people on our Marriages and family board so we're unashamedly posting it on here. If this doesn't affect you, thank you for your patience :)
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Two questions?

1. Do Stoptober keep statistics on what proportion of people have previously taken part and are trying again?

2. Do non smokers who obviously won't smoke in October also get a badge?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 September 2017 at 10:17PM
    Options
    What on earth has tober got to do with smoking?

Stopping it may be a good thing, or is the rebranding of Stoptober an active/tacit encouragement to physically abuse people?
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

why is October the month for change, is it to get ready for the Christmas binge?

go-sober.jpg
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

Would you like a "Debt-free" badge for having never had a debt problem to get rid of while you're at it?

The majority of the badges work on the "honour system" (I'm pretty sure MSE aren't going to check if you actually made a PPI claim or haggled for a purchase) so you can festoon your sidebar with as many as you like, if you feel the need to.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Would you like a "Debt-free" badge for having never had a debt problem to get rid of while you're at it?

Fair point.

I would like to know if stoptober collects statistics on people who join year in year out.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Fair point.

I would like to know if stoptober collects statistics on people who join year in year out.

Why?

If people are trying to stop smoking, that can only be a good thing, can't it? Its really hard to stop and even if people fall off the wagon in say December, at least they've tried and they've given their body a short break from the tobacco. If they keep trying and things like Stoptober motivate them to keep trying then maybe eventually they'll manage it for good!
  • Potato_Fist
    Options
    Hi Stoptober :)

Do you know where i left my car keys? I cant find them anywhere :(
  • silvercar
    Options
    Why?

If people are trying to stop smoking, that can only be a good thing, can't it? Its really hard to stop and even if people fall off the wagon in say December, at least they've tried and they've given their body a short break from the tobacco. If they keep trying and things like Stoptober motivate them to keep trying then maybe eventually they'll manage it for good!

I'm not saying it isn't a good thing. I was just curious.

I'ts a success if people give up for the month or part of it.

It's a success if they try again next year and give up for a period of time again.

It's a success if they give up for good.

I'm just curious if Stoptober collect any statistics.
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    Hi Stoptober :)

Do you know where i left my car keys? I cant find them anywhere :(

Have you tried the fridge? :D

Once upon a time, I managed to lock mine in the car................:doh: :rotfl:
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Two questions?

Nice try :rotfl:

The badge is for people who join in throughout the month, post on the discussion regularly to let us know how they're getting on and have given up by the end of Stoptober :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories