Do you travel with or without travel insurance?

Options
Poll started 8 Jul 2013

We believe travel insurance is a necessity for holiday travel. Yet do you risk going without it?

Which of the options in this week's poll is closest to your situation?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.

Comments

• nicky.r.newman
    nicky.r.newman Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 July 2013 at 1:22PM
    Options
    As an older person with a few (none life threatening) medical conditions the price of holiday insurance is more than the cost of a holiday. We use EHIC.
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Age: 65+, with insurance via Nationwide (so free if you pay in something every month).
  • lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Even when travelling in the UK, the cost of getting insurance for someone who is in their 30's but has coeliac disease more than doubles the price of the holiday. Dread to think what it would cost if I wanted to holiday abroad!
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Gordon_the_Moron Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Free travel insurance, thanks Nationwide :) don't very often travel abroad to need it.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have "free" travel insurance from our bank - absolutely worthless to us due to pre-existing conditions.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • AlanM
    AlanM Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't really think its necessary within the UK, however wouldn't go further than Eire (with my EHIC) without it.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've never booked a holiday expensive enough to worry about insurance, though I know Nationwide offer free travel insurance to FlexAccount holders, so I guess I should get that sorted out just in case. I carry my EHIC while travelling in Europe.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't get travel insurance if I am holidaying in the UK, but it really is essential if travelling abroad.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one for EHIC + Nationwide.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • mikeleeds
    Options
    I travel a lot (I am under 30), and like all insurance policies it's worth understanding that your expected expenditure on medical expenses is below the cost of the policy. That's how insurance companies make money. So if I can afford to replace something myself, I usually risk not having insurance.

The same goes for medical costs too, most countries have acceptable medical care at very reasonable prices - the only places I would be likely to buy insurance for is the US, Australia etc. where the costs are prohibitive. Most other places I would risk it, I can get funds if I need it.

The only places I have needed any medical treatment are Turkey, France & Tanzania - all of which I felt were fantastic value for money (Turkey & Tanzania state hospitals were cheap as chips!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure