Can i work in a school with a criminal record?

Options

Comments

• Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    SarEl wrote: »
    Nope - even contractors on school sites must have them. Being on the school site brings them into potential contact with children - a child who recognises someone from school, no matter how cursory that contact may have been, may trust them. Visiting tradesmen - ie people visiting the site (the milkman) do not need them, alhtough they should never be on site unsuprevised. But workmen on the site do. So if there is a school extension being built, the contractor must eCRB all employees on the job, unless the whole of the job is completed in school holidays. A caretaker certainly must have one.

After going though a very thorough Ofsted centered around Safeguarding, contractors do not have to be eCRB.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be looking at unfair dismissal if I were the OP

If he has less than 12 months' service (and it seems he has) then he has no recourse for unfair dismissal.

KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    but apart from any other considerations, the OP says the school were treating him as self-employed, so if he was invoicing them for his work then there's pretty much nothing he can do.

Ah, must have missed that bit. I still don't like this CRB thing though, basicaly because even something like a section 5 public order offense is classed as a criminal offense and that is basicaly what you are chargeed with if you swear in public or are drunk and disorderly, in Oxford that would be many students on a Friday night.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • lindsayg_2
    Options
    if you swear in public or are drunk and disorderly, in Oxford that would be many students on a Friday night.

Yes, and if you ever - even in forty years when you are over 60 - want to drive a minibus for a kids' club, it will still come up.

Big society my bum.
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : £29 + £6 +
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sympathize with the OP. But the deck is loaded against him. He may eventually get a successful complaint over the HR dept but ultimately not get his job back. The school should have waited for the outcome of the CRB (or eCRB) before hiring. Anyway he had been there less than 12 months and has few employmen rights. So thats probably academic now.

I said it before in many other threads inspite of CRB checks many children & vulnerable adults still get abused thus I would question if the CRB makes any difference at all. If the intention behind CRB checks was to reduce and eliminate abuse then surely the logical place to start at would have been with wannabee parents and their relatives & friends. If the anecdotal evidence is to be believed then most abusers are already known to their victims.

To penalise people for non abusive offences committed many years in the past and for which they have already been punished is imho nasty and vindictive behaviour. I have no issue if past behaviour bars people from specific offence related employment fields, but to draw a connection behind theft & fraud and the potential for child/vulnerable adult abuse is just odd.

Lastly for those that would like to believe that the state can do no wrong think of all the many miscarriages of justice that have made the news headlines in the last couple of decades, many more didn't make the headlines. More difficult now but I would be surprised if I'm wrong.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    in 1994 when I had a computer company, that had a turnover of £1.6m.
    I am also a qualified builder
    I had one of the fastest growing companies in the UK.

For someone with so much experience and business acumen, you seem unusually keen to return to a job as a caretaker.

You've also changed your story and the figures involved throughout your posts, and have gone from being a rehabilitated offender, to blaming the corrupt police, to blaming the judge, to blaming an ex-employee of yours. I'm sorry OP, but something doesn't add up...

Olias
  • georgepompidou
    Options
    Think about it, the OP claims to live in the south east, has issues with (what he feels is) police corruption/ maladministration, has been inside for some far fetched reason ... and refuses to accept any blame for the noted events. Someone being handy with the truth, and with a story so holey it could almost be candyfloss?

That is all!
  • MyMissC3
    MyMissC3 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I have few questions for some of you.

1. Can you proof to me that you ARE NOT a spy? There are things that cannot always be demonstrated and although there are many nasty things in this world/society, you cannot blame sombody because is provided with good faith. Innocent untill proven guilty - "presumption of innocence" is fundamental in justice and laws. You "do not" have to prove you are innocent this is against the "presumption of innocence", the accuser must proof you are unmistakably guilty, otherwise you are innocent.

2. You are not so naive to believe that ALL people that actually go to jail are actually ALL guilty of the crimes they were convicted for, are you? Records are full of people (good people, good faith people, naive people if you like) that actually DID NOT commit any crime. I remember a man that spent about 20 years in jail because homonymy and because he could not proof he WAS NOT in a certain place and time, I had a friend whose boyfriend was arrested, bashed by the police and then convicted after being accused of sexual abuse on a teenager just to discover the teenager lied and he did not even meet her once before the arrest... To convict somebody without completely certain irrefutable proofs is just wrong and is, in itself, a crime.

I was not there and I do not want to say tigeress289 was innocent or not, but I agree with who said you can't punish somebody forever and, honestly, at the end of the day, was still stolen stuff and in a very very specific circumstance. It seems to me that he did not kill anybody!!

I hope he will have a second opportunity as I believe that even if he was guilty (even just of good faith, which I struggle to see as a crime) the kind of crime in itself, after the conviction and after so many years, really looks irrelevant to me.

A woman that was unfaithful once, will then be unfaithful forever? A kid that stole an apple, will steal things for the rest of his life? A man that was a slaker in his job, will then be a slaker in all other jobs he finds? You know what? This just made me think about how many people steal their salary from their employers or all those people on benefits that, instead, could move their very much heatly butts and find a job... So you are "presumed" to be guilty of selling something stolen, you lose everything and you go to jail, but if you "legally" steal money from the government or get away with being a slaker with your employer you do not go to jail and will have a clean record and work with children!! Ahahah!!! Interesting!!

(Please do not get me wrong, there are many people that really could not survive without help. I am just referring to some of them that are taking advantage of that help...).

SarEl wrote: »
    a company with a £1.6m turnover should have been able to prove that it wasn't.And none of your property would have been in the police station if you hadn't had stolen property in the first place
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a full moon?

Olias
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    olias wrote: »
    Is it a full moon?

Olias

Must be!!:rotfl: