John Lewis guarantee limits & "cosmetic damage"

Options
cestas55
cestas55 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 8 October 2017 at 3:22PM in Consumer rights
PLEASE NOTE - I am no longer interested in replies to my post. I thought I would be getting some consumer law advice, but finding the comments rather silly. I spent £900 on a laptop that has vanishing key decals, and all I get is suggestions to learn touch typing and to paint letters in my neatest handwriting.

Around 18 months ago I spent £900 on an Asus Zenbook from John Lewis, which came with the extended 3 years guarantee. The laptop is essentially fine, but annoyingly the letters on the keyboard have started to fade. Some commonly used keys like E A S O L and shift are blank or almost gone.

Apparently the keys can be flipped out and new ones inserted, and I have bought a transparent keyboard cover for £10 to put a halt to further damage. This is first of several computers I have had without this issue, so I do not think it is me, it is a fault based on the quality of manufacture.

I have contacted John Lewis customer support, but they are saying the problem is not covered by their guarantee, as the guarantee does not cover "cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust". However I would say cosmetic damage is just that, where I scratch or chip the laptop, not something that is a manufacturing fault and effects the proper use of the laptop.

Grateful if anyone has any thoughts on whether this problem should be covered by an extended manufacturer's guarantee. Also if I just pay to get new keys fitted, what are my options to get the cost of repair plus the cost of keyboard cover back?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Does it affect your use of the laptop, do you not know where the keys are?

I'd say this is wear and tear, have had it happen on pretty much every laptop I've had.

You don't need to pay to have the keys replaced, buy them and do it yourself.
  • cestas55
    Options
    Yes, of course it affects use, the cover makes typing similar to my first computer, a ZX Spectrum back in the 80s with rubber keys. But if I don't use the cover I will just have blank squares soon for about 15 keys. Try covering up the 15 most used letters on your keyboard and see how frustrating it is!
  • Max3456
    Max3456 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I would fully expect such a problem to be covered by a warranty. Its not "cosmetic" it is a functional part of the product,and an expensive one at that. Keep your receipts and ask for reimbursement or a JL gift card.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Max3456 wrote: »
    I would fully expect such a problem to be covered by a warranty. Its not "cosmetic" it is a functional part of the product,and an expensive one at that. Keep your receipts and ask for reimbursement or a JL gift card.

Seems there'll be disagreement on this then - I'd say cosmetic and with an easy solution (c. £15 for a complete replacement keyboard depending on exact model)

If OP plays nicely rather than throwing 'rights' around I'd have thought a replacement could be sourced FOC from manufacturer
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like the keyboard is subject to heavy use, so wear and tear. Can easily fixed with replacement keys or a perminant marker pen
  • cestas55
    cestas55 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Nope, just regular use

A marker pen? On a £900 laptop.

There I was thinking I would get some smart advice.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    For future info if anyone comes across the thread with the same question. They can then make sense of the replies.
    Around 18 months ago I spent £900 on an Asus Zenbook from John Lewis, which came with the extended 3 years guarantee. The laptop is essentially fine, but annoyingly the letters on the keyboard have started to fade. Some commonly used keys like E A S O L and shift are blank or almost gone.

Apparently the keys can be flipped out and new ones inserted, and I have bought a transparent keyboard cover for £10 to put a halt to further damage. This is first of several computers I have had without this issue, so I do not think it is me, it is a fault based on the quality of manufacture.

I have contacted John Lewis customer support, but they are saying the problem is not covered by their guarantee, as the guarantee does not cover "cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust". However I would say cosmetic damage is just that, where I scratch or chip the laptop, not something that is a manufacturing fault and effects the proper use of the laptop.

Grateful if anyone has any thoughts on whether this problem should be covered by an extended manufacturer's guarantee. Also if I just pay to get new keys fitted, what are my options to get the cost of repair plus the cost of keyboard cover back?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cestas55 wrote: »
    Nope, just regular use

A marker pen? On a £900 laptop.

There I was thinking I would get some smart advice.

It was a £900 lap top when you bought it, now it's just another second hand device worth a fraction of that. New keys are easily available at low cost, but if you want to do it for less them use a marker pen, unless you are that strung up about appearance.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Nobody in this thread has been horrible to you in any way. Just offering practical solutions to an issue which is more than likely down to excessive use rather than a manufacturing fault.

As it is over 6 months you can still exercise your consumer rights against John Lewis, but the burden of proof that a MANUFACTURING FAULT is present is on you. A fault report to that effect would enable you to get some sort of resolution, which may include:

- A repair (they may just replace the keys as per advice you've been given)

- A partial refund to take into account usage

- A replacement (it will most likely be a refurbished model).

I believe that the retailer reserves the right to pick the remedy as well..

If the damage is simply due to wear and tear (or normal/excessive use) then you will have little recourse, aside from goodwill.

This may end up in small claims if JL still refute your manufacturer fault claims even with a fault report. You can also take JL to court WITHOUT the report, but you may not get far if it is disputed and you have no evidence.

You can also approach the manufacturer, but if they are saying that it is not covered under the warranty then there's not much more you can do... UNLESS you sift through the paperwork and find some conflicting info, or if you pay a lawyer to do it.
  • cestas55
    Options
    Where did I say people were being "horrible"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure