civil service pension query

Options

Comments

• jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    According to the downloadable calculator, at 55 you'll actually get 79% of your full pension - so not quite the 5% per annum reduction usually touted. Still better to leave it alone if you don't need it though.
  • Acquinas
    Acquinas Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All of the above is right. I was in almost exactly the same position myself: left the CS at 54 with 31 years service and moved into LGPS. Although the public sector transfer club principles do indeed state that if there is any transfer between schemes then there will be an equivalence of value, I could not get past the fact that if I gave up the deferred CS pension benefits by transferring them into LGPS I was giving up a protected right to take those CS benefits (albeit on a reduced basis) right now. That is a great feeling to have when the NPA for LGPS is 66. So I took the view that a spreading of risks is a good thing. The CS Pension is sitting there and will be uprated in line with CPI (unlike the pay of the colleagues who I left behind who will have been subject to 1% rises for a full 10 years by 2020).

The actuarial reduction in the CS pension for taking it early is, as others have said, slightly less than 5% p.a. More like 4.2% or 4.3%. So even if you did take it at age 55, you would end up getting about 78-79% of the full entitlement. But remember, you would be getting that for 5 years when you would otherwise have got nothing. I worked out that I would be about 80 by the time a theoretically higher annual entitlement would have wiped out the money accumulated during those 5 years (more if you transfer into LGPS and stay until NPA). Essentially, you have to remember that you are a long time dead.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

What you do is investigate the transfer value.

You also may want to consider the CETV of any LGPS rights.

If you transfer and get made redundant whilst in LGPS you get an "unreduced pension" after 55 years of age.

Your future seems varied with the options you have and only time will tell what was your best course, but I reckon it will be a rosy future whatever.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought that new entrants to local Government scheme were based on averaging salary as opposed to final salary

Yes, but a transfer in from another public sector scheme, if done within 5 years of leaving the old scheme, will carry over a final salary service credit with a final salary link. If the OP's final salary NPA in the PCSPS is 60, then they would lose that, but get a bigger final salary service credit in the LGPS than that forgone in the PCSPS (assuming the transfer is done under Club terms, so within 12 months of joining the new scheme).
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to the downloadable calculator, at 55 you'll actually get 79% of your full pension - so not quite the 5% per annum reduction usually touted. Still better to leave it alone if you don't need it though.

True and the calculator is not always accurate either.

5% is just a rule of thumb, the calculation will have a different % reduction for each year depending on which age you enter and that is compounded and will result in a different average reduction depending on which year is used.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Acquinas wrote: »
    All of the above is right. I was in almost exactly the same position myself: left the CS at 54 with 31 years service and moved into LGPS. Although the public sector transfer club principles do indeed state that if there is any transfer between schemes then there will be an equivalence of value, I could not get past the fact that if I gave up the deferred CS pension benefits by transferring them into LGPS I was giving up a protected right to take those CS benefits (albeit on a reduced basis) right now. That is a great feeling to have when the NPA for LGPS is 66. So I took the view that a spreading of risks is a good thing. The CS Pension is sitting there and will be uprated in line with CPI (unlike the pay of the colleagues who I left behind who will have been subject to 1% rises for a full 10 years by 2020).

The actuarial reduction in the CS pension for taking it early is, as others have said, slightly less than 5% p.a. More like 4.2% or 4.3%. So even if you did take it at age 55, you would end up getting about 78-79% of the full entitlement. But remember, you would be getting that for 5 years when you would otherwise have got nothing. I worked out that I would be about 80 by the time a theoretically higher annual entitlement would have wiped out the money accumulated during those 5 years (more if you transfer into LGPS and stay until NPA). Essentially, you have to remember that you are a long time dead.

some good points in there..but also don't forget if the CS pension is taken whilst still working in LG, it'll likely all be taxed at 20% and some may end up as 40%. I know this is what will be happening to me when my CS Classic becomes payable at 60, by then it'll all be hit at 40% :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Galoglas
    Galoglas Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    some good points in there..but also don't forget if the CS pension is taken whilst still working in LG, it'll likely all be taxed at 20% and some may end up as 40%. I know this is what will be happening to me when my CS Classic becomes payable at 60, by then it'll all be hit at 40% :(

I spoke to the tax office and that is correct.If I was to take the lump sum it would take me over the higher tax threshold for that tax year.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Galoglas wrote: »
    I spoke to the tax office and that is correct.If I was to take the lump sum it would take me over the higher tax threshold for that tax year.

I thought you said you wanted to retire around 60 in your original post? Why take your CS pension early and sacrifice over 20% and pay extra tax if you have been offered work with LG?

I don't understand why you would not work for LG for five years then resign. Taking your preserved and frozen CS pension (which will have index-linked since you left it) at that point and then have the second income burst when your LG pension age is reached (might be SRA at same time) - the same thing would apply - no actuarial reduction if you wait until scheme pension age.

For me the decision will be whether I top up my state pension by making lump-sum NI contribution payments for the 5 years after I stop working before SRA to compensate for the opted out SERPS that I have in my employment history - the payback period is only 7 years for this based on today's rates.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Galoglas
    Galoglas Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I was only trying to gather all the information I could .It's a big decision and I don't plan to take the lump sum following all the information I have received.
  • Acquinas
    Acquinas Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is true of course that it you were to take your CS Pension now, or indeed at any time while you are still working for the LA, that it would be taxable at your marginal rate. But that situation could still be mitigated by prudent tax planning. You won't be able to recycle your retirement lump sum by paying it into a SIPP or APCs/AVCs in the LGPS etc, but would be able to with some of your salary. The lump sum would be non-taxable of course so you could get the motorhome before you reach LGPS NPA. There is of course a balancing argument for simply "sitting on it" and letting it build. I think it all comes down to personal circumstances and lifestyle choices.

On the other hand - and this is where I think we need some input from an LGPS expert - you can access your LGPS core pension entitlement from age 55. If you request this yourself then it will be payable at a reduced rate (similar to the arrangement for the CS pension), but if it should so pass that you were made redundant at any point then the LGPS is obliged to pay out in full without actuarial reduction.. What I'm not sure about though is whether that only applies to pension built up by virtue of your own contributions via payroll or whether it would apply to transfer club entitlement too. If it did though that could be quite a powerful factor in favour of transferring in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure