20 month old TV - loss of functionality – what can I do?????

Options
Hi Experts,

On the 30th of December 2012 I purchased a Samsung TV from Currys website for home delivery using a Credit Card. Today (20months and 18 days later) when I turned it on, none of the HDMI ports are responsive. I have gone through all the basic remedies i can think of (changed cables, checked cables and Virgin box/Playstation on another TV and full factory reset) and everything points back to the HDMI ports as they are greyed out in the source selection menu but TV (aerial) and Ethernet are working fine.

I didn’t purchase any extra warranty/insurance and as far as I can tell from the booklets it just had the standard 1 year.
I am aware of the 2 year EU directive and that it is incorporated into the Sale of Goods Act which refers to 6 years.

So where do I stand?

What’s my best plan of attack?

Thanks

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    What have Currys said when you mentioned this to them ?
    You will likely need to get a technical report saying that the fault is due to premature breakdown, not user error/tampering/misuse and you take that to Currys with the broken television and quote the SOGA saying that it hasn't lasted as long as it should have. They should hopefully refund you (and this might take a bit of a struggle) but are likely to give you a smaller refund due to the 20 months use you've had from it.
    Ignore the 2 year EU directive, it's not a specific UK law and as you say the SOGA covers more than this however don't read the SOGA to mean that all goods must last for 6 years...
  • DesH_2
    DesH_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't even approached Currys yet as I wanted to set off on the right foot and not head down the incorrect path from the off. So the standard procedure is to contact the seller even after the standard warranty is out?
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    DesH wrote: »
    I haven't even approached Currys yet as I wanted to set off on the right foot and not head down the incorrect path from the off. So the standard procedure is to contact the seller even after the standard warranty is out?

Definitely. As the 12 month warranty is expired, they are within their rights to ask you to get an engineer's report. However if the report says that it failed prematurely because of manufacturing fault, they should reimburse you the cost of the report as well as a (potentially partial) refund.
  • DesH_2
    Options
    Just to confirm I had read the stickys here and on other sites, but wanted to confirm that my own set of circumstances didn't change the best way to approach it.
  • DesH_2
    Options
    Just called Currys.....

on old for an age.....

When I got through to the rep and after he had taken my details and got my order on screen he asked how he could help, I told him that my TV had developed a fault, and was immediately informed that it was out of warranty..... I started my spiel on the SOGA when i was cut off mid flow, only to be told that as I had referenced the SOGA, a free repair would be carried out.

All of my contact details were then confirmed, with a brief description of the fault and I've been told that I will be contacted in the next couple of days!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried a proper power down and restart (ie, at the plug) rather than just shutting down in standby? You really need to this whenever you change cables over.
  • DesH_2
    Options
    Yep, fully disconnected power and HDMI for a few hours with no luck.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    1999/EC/44 gives you two years protection and is statute in UK.
    In a few places it trumps out sale of goods in that you do not have to do the six month engineers report.
    It is about time we used the EU for our benefit.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1999/EC/44 gives you two years protection and is statute in UK.
    In a few places it trumps out sale of goods in that you do not have to do the six month engineers report.
    It is about time we used the EU for our benefit.
    Please can you state just one of those places where the EU Directive 1999/EC/44 'trumps' the Sale of Goods Act.

My understanding is that UK legislation offers more than that directive required.
    Surely if that were not the case the EU powers would be chasing the UK to put things right.

Oh, and that EU Directive is not a statute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure