MSE News: TSB offers bank switchers free £125, £5/mth cashback AND 3% interest

Options

Comments

• n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I just ask those of you who have opened a new account how long did it take to receive your documentation? I opened mine last Monday and still not received anything and the switch is due to be complete on Tuesday, no access to online banking or anything because a password is required.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure you've got your dates right?

If it's the MSE offer - open by 27/2, switch by 31/3
  • n1guy
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    Are you sure you've got your dates right?

If it's the MSE offer - open by 27/2, switch by 31/3

You read that wrong. You have to switch it by 31/3, it doesn't mean it will take to 31/3 to switch, the switch take a week so after opening your account you have until 31/3 to have it switched over.
  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have studied all the responses on here about opening a new account in order to take up the TSB offer. Still confused.

Okay putting my conscience and loyalty aside, and my stupid feeling of being dishonest can anyone say which is the easiest and quickest bank account to open with two direct debits? Is it really possible to open this new account, set up two direct debits in order to qualify for the TSB offer and then close this new account within 2/3 weeks of opening?

I notice Tesco have stopped taking new applications. Some say Santander is good. What about the other banks, Barclays, Nat West, First Direct, HSBC, Bank of Scotland and all the other banks.

I would like make a start today.
  • n1guy
    Options
    molly57. wrote: »
    I have studied all the responses on here about opening a new account in order to take up the TSB offer. Still confused.

Okay putting my conscience and loyalty aside, and my stupid feeling of being dishonest can anyone say which is the easiest and quickest bank account to open with two direct debits? Is it really possible to open this new account, set up two direct debits in order to qualify for the TSB offer and then close this new account within 2/3 weeks of opening?

I notice Tesco have stopped taking new applications. Some say Santander is good. What about the other banks, Barclays, Nat West, First Direct, HSBC, Bank of Scotland and all the other banks.

The payment is not made until after 31 days or something. I loved First Direct, only thing that put me off is there silly digtal keys for the online app
  • schiff
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    You read that wrong. You have to switch it by 31/3, it doesn't mean it will take to 31/3 to switch, the switch take a week so after opening your account you have until 31/3 to have it switched over.

ME: If it's the MSE offer - open by 27/2, switch by 31/3

I assume it's not me your comment is aimed at :)
  • schiff
    edited 11 February 2017 at 6:46PM
    Options

Following a useful suggestion I opened a Santander Everyday current account.

Post 102 from bigadaj. Some useful chat round there too!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Where do you have your current account(s) now? That could be a reasonable place to open a current account for switching purposes, mainly because you are less likely to be faced with requests to prove your ID & address.
  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I currently have a current account with the Halifax. I have searched their website and cannot find the answer as to whether I can have two current accounts. I have clicked on "open new account" and it says if I am an existing customer then to click on "sign in" for online banking.

Probably answered my own question. I presume I just ignore the part of "existing customer" and try to open an account as new.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I currently have a current account with the Halifax. I have searched their website and cannot find the answer as to whether I can have two current accounts. I have clicked on "open new account" and it says if I am an existing customer then to click on "sign in" for online banking.

Probably answered my own question. I presume I just ignore the part of "existing customer" and try to open an account as new.

Why do you presume anything? If you can't find it in the T&Cs, sign in and see what options you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure