TV licence advice required please...

Options
Hi,

My tv licence expired in December last.

Since November I was travelling and working away from home.

I have returned recently and amongst a pile of junk mail was a pile of TV licence mail relating to the renewal of my licence.

I genuinely forgot about it when I was away, last year was my first time paying for it, as previously it was paid for by my family members or housemates etc. I didn't get a renewal reminder by email or of I did it went to my junk mail or I simply did not take notice of it.

So I also got the whole "an inspector is due to visit.." threatening type letter and that I must renew asap to avoid a potential fine etc.

However, I have now moved address since returning and my new address has got a tv licence for the remainder of 2017 (paid for by housemate)

I do not feel I should pay them £145.00 considering I wasn't even in the country and now I am moving address I will not need to renew the licence anyway.

So my question is, do I simply ignore the correspondance already received completely or would it better to call/email them and explain the above and ask that it be taken into consideration and that the claim (for a renewal) is quashed etc?

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has been in a similar position.

Cheers

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do not feel I should pay them £145.00 considering I wasn't even in the country and now I am moving address I will not need to renew the licence anyway.
    You don't have to - an empty property does not require a TV Licence.
    So my question is, do I simply ignore the correspondance already received completely or would it better to call/email them and explain the above and ask that it be taken into consideration and that the claim (for a renewal) is quashed etc?
    Their letters often don't mean what they say (partly because they don't even try to cover all circumstances). There was no need for a Licence, and they will not pursue you to another address.

I wouldn't bother calling them - it may only confuse matters.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Cornucopia says, the TV license wasn't needed for an empty property. However, might be worth e-mailing them or writing advising them that the property was empty from November to when you got back, you are no longer living at that property, and they should contact the new tenants directly. I wouldn't give them your new address though.
  • familyguy12
    Options
    Sorry didnt log in for a while. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills