MoneySaving Poll: Should Sunday be like any other shopping day?

Options

Comments

• TheButler45
    TheButler45 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2016 at 2:08AM
    Options
    Of cause, unless you object on religious grounds or work in the retail industry, why wouldn't you want shops open all the time, it would be convenient, right. Wrong. Small retail outlets, mine included, have been fighting the multi-nationals for years and struggling to survive, The last tiny advantage we have over these business is our ability to open on Sunday. Take this away and it will be another nail and in many cases the final nail in the coffin of these small business.. Some will say "who cares, if they can't compete then let them go out of business". Well that's an argument, but then ask, if once these small shops have all gone, will you be happy to trek all the way to a supermarket to get a paper, jar of coffee, packet of smokes, bottle of milk etc, etc, not just on a Sunday, but every day. These faceless juggernauts have already decimated the high streets and local communities. Don't let them destroy your local store, if you still have one.
  • Notaclue_2
    Options
    I work in a shop, i dont want to be forced in to working sundays, not for religious reasons, I want to be with my family, and sit down together for a family sunday dinner.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are millions of single people who don't have a family to sit down with on a Sunday. I used to work Saturday mornings and got a day off in the week, it was great.

If you don't want to shop on Sunday then don't, but don't make that decision for millions of people who do.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is all very well saying people will not be forced to work on a sunday as they will take on new staff but this is not what happens in reality.

The existing staff very often have to be flexible and available to work the hours required by their employer.

As someone has already said there is only so much money to go around so extra shopping hours will not boost the economy, as Tesco have found out with 24 hr opening.

Let us please have one day which is different to the rest of the week.
  • Cabbagewhite
    Options
    I think Sunday should be the same as any other day for shopping. There are millions of us who work weekends and nights who would appreciate the opportunity to shop then. The only thing I would say is that retail staff should be given two days off together if they work full-time, so they can have the benefit of two days rest - but only if they wish, something else may be better for them. Some people actually choose to work Saturday and Sunday.
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    I live in Scotland, we are civilised here and the shops are already open on Sundays.

It'll be interesting to see why the Scottish ministers want to block the rest of UK doing what your country has enjoyed doing for a while now.
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • NickyC
    NickyC Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 March 2016 at 8:24AM
    Options
    Increasing store's trading hours will increase payroll spend, meaning companies will have to find ways to recover their costs. I work in retail. With the increase in the minimum wage, my company has done the following: stopped paying for breaks, even though operationally you might have to interrupt your break to help on the shopfloor during busy times; cut part time contracts through consultations; and more than doubled the increase on target you need to achieve before getting bonus.

On a personal level, my husband and I both work in retail full time. We both work irregular days and late night's until 9 or 10. This month we have two days off together, add to this the many evenings we work, we just don't see each other. This isn't healthy on relationships and is the only factor stopping us starting a family.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the shop I work in opens longer, we will be struggling for staff as many colleagues refuse to work Sundays.

If anyone can't find time to shop from 7am Monday - 10pm Saturday and six hours on Sunday, they have issues.

I don't want the shops opening longer on Sunday. But my only relaxation request is the Sunday before Christmas (perhaps two Sundays) the shops, need to open longer. As I remember on the Dec 23rd was last on a Sunday, we were subject to customers shouting at us from 9:20-9:59, on why we can't serve them now. Biggest trade day of the year, but crammed 14 hours of customers in six hours, we were shattered
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Keep it as now. Good to have a slightly more relaxed day.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    socks_uk wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see why the Scottish ministers want to block the rest of UK doing what your country has enjoyed doing for a while now.

The SNP will do what is right for them, as usual.

They don't care about the workforce in Scotland as they are claiming, they just changed from abstaining to voting against when they saw it was a chance to 'stick' one on the Government for calling the EU vote in June instead of in September.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure