PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying direct from vendor

Options
Hello, forgive me if this is a naive question but this is only the second time either of us have bought a property and the last time was a good number of years ago...

About 5 months ago we spotted a property we really liked the look of - ticked every box we had on paper. Unfortunately just as we rang up to view the vendor decided to take it off the market. We dont know why.

We have continued our search but nothing has really caught our eye and I keep thinking about the one we just missed.

I think we should pop a note through the door and try our luck, but I'm not sure how the selling process works if there is no estate agent on the vendors end. I assume it's not that much different, except it probably works out cheaper for the vendor? What happens if the vendor gets awkward after accepting for example, and there is nobody after their commission to weigh in?

Any pearls of wisdom?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you found the place through the agent, and go on to buy it, then the agent will almost certainly be due their commission - after all, they did the job they were hired for...
  • CP26
    CP26 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2017 at 6:19PM
    Options
    That is a possibility and I have no idea what type of contract they would have had with their EA or whether there would be an expiration date that would mean no commission would be due after a certain time off the market. Definitely worth keeping in mind though thank you!

ETA - just thought, I dont recall giving the EA any details when I rang up for the viewing - they went straight to the listing and then said that it was off the market. That was the end of the call I think. Not sure if that makes any difference whatsoever if there was a commision clause.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    CP26 wrote: »
    That is a possibility and I have no idea what type of contract they would have had with their EA or whether there would be an expiration date that would mean no commission would be due after a certain time off the market.

If the EA introduced you - the EA can claim commission if you buy privately within 2 years (assuming the EA follows the Property Ombudsman's code of practice).
    CP26 wrote: »
    I dont recall giving the EA any details when I rang up for the viewing - they went straight to the listing and then said that it was off the market. That was the end of the call I think.

So that probably wouldn't count as an 'introduction' - especially if they didn't take your name.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ... And going back to the main question...

I recently watched a transaction with no EA fall apart because neither buyer or seller really understood what they had to do and how the process worked.

They ended up blaming each other for the lack of progress, and shouting at each other over the phone.

(FWIW, I think the problems started because the seller didn't qualify the buyer properly, and didn't realise that there was an incomplete chain below the buyer.)

But if both buyer are sensible, rational, knowledgable etc... hopefully it should be ok.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The process is exactly the same except that you discuss price, access for viewings/survey etc, renegotiation, dates etc with the vendor and cut out the Chinese whispers operated by an estate agent...
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    We sold our last house direct. It was easy, once a price was agreed I instructed a solicitor and they did all the usual leg work. Didn't regret having no EA at any point. The EA for my current purchase hasn't been of any help in moving the sale on any quicker, she rings to ask if things are happening, I tell her they are or aren't and everything continues at the same pace as if she had never called at all. I'm sure she feels she's earning her fee by doing it though ;)
  • CP26
    CP26 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I am wary of doing it without an EA but its good to know that it can be successful if both parties work together well.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In a similar same boat. Wrote to the vendor a year or so ago and she agreed to get in touch when she was ready to sell. I told her to check her contract and she said she was okay to sell privately. Turns out the house she's buying is through the same agent and they want their fee which she's now had to find.

Trouble is, it seems you've not even looked at the property.

I would prob turn you down for that reason, but you never know. Luck may be on your side.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cardinal-Red
    Options
    We're in the middle of a no-EA purchase.
    Going swimmingly so far. The vendors are great.

But at the same time, the house we bought back in 2005 the estate agents were worth their weight in gold (not least because we didn't pay them).

So I guess this is a long winded way of saying, it's more down to the seller and purchaser (and their solicitors) than the EA I think.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are a few reasons I can think of why they took the place off the market:

1 - change of circumstances means they're not looking to move at all
    2 - couldn't find anywhere they liked/wanted to move to
    3 - no-one offered them the sort of price they were looking for

By all means drop a note through the door but don't hold out too many hopes:

Reason 1 is self-explanatory
    Reason 2 means they won't be in any hurry to proceed, which is a problem if you are
    Reason 3 means they're unlikely to negotiate, so if you were thinking of making a offer much lower than the previous asking price, it's likely to fall on deaf ears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure