PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:27PM
    Options
    I think it's more difficult to decide on a "meal" if you don't eat much meat. With meat you have a definite "main item" to work around.

Having not eaten meat for over 30 years that's not an issue for me. Although I do partake now, it is only rarely.

My problem atm is just constantly grazing [STRIKE]stuffing my face[/STRIKE] on stuff, then having a main evening meal as well. Rather than eating the one meal a day, (other than the odd piece of fruit or single slice of toast), I spent over 30 years having. My body can't cope, that's why I'm piling on the weight. :(

I feel better and function better on my one decent evening meal a day and little but milk, tea and coffee in between. Comfort eating is destroying the habit of my adult lifetime..one that worked!

Goodness knows why I'm changing a tried and tested formula now?

ETA FLERKIN NEIGHBOURS :mad::mad::mad:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all,

Meatballs and pasta has "morphed" into 2 small pork burgers baked on top of flat mushrooms with roasted tomatoes and a couple of lurking rosti cakes from Ikea. The frozen rostis are ok but I wouldn't buy them again. So another bung it in and leave it to it:) Feel my meals have been a bit more balanced today: banana for brekkie, LO lamb and coleslaw in a bit of stottie cake, rather a lot vac packed beetroot (yep the dreaded "pink" wee has appeared:eek:) and a big pear so not too bad on the F&V front either:)

I'm generally not squeamish when it comes to meat & fish and do prefer "bone in" - one exception though when I was at school I worked in a fishmongers- cod roe used to come in big tubs filled with the roes, sea water and seaweed and you had to dig about to find them.:eek: Even with gloves it was icky - it took me years to eat cod roe after that .........;)

"Dog poo" don't get me started - my town has the reputation of being quite "posh" (famous golf course) but unlike celebs who are "too posh to push" we have folk that are obviously "too posh to pick up":mad: I'm never quite sure if leaving it in situ is worse than bagging it and hanging the bag from something - both are revolting:(

Farway - Ginger marmalade now we are talking :)
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Having not eaten meat for over 30 years that's not an issue for me. Although I do partake now, it is only rarely.

My problem atm is just constantly grazing [STRIKE]stuffing my face[/STRIKE] on stuff, then having a main evening meal as well. Rather than eating the one meal a day, (other than the odd piece of fruit or single slice of toast), I spent over 30 years having. My body can't cope, that's why I'm piling on the weight. :(

I feel better and function better on my one decent evening meal a day and little but milk, tea and coffee in between. Comfort eating is destroying the habit of my adult lifetime..one that worked!

Goodness knows why I'm changing a tried and tested formula now?

ETA FLERKIN NEIGHBOURS :mad::mad::mad:
    Grazing when my kids were wee was my downfall :o I think when I graze I tend to reach for junky options - so have loads of carbs which make me hungrier and so the circle continues. I try to stick to 2/3 meals a day and no or minimal snacking it's harder just now as I'm stuck at home most of the time but mainly I manage it (though when I fail I do so spectacularly :o). If you've found something that works for you stick with it - have you looked at the 5:2 approach I know loads of folk find it a good way to balance their eating :)
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Grazing when my kids were wee was my downfall :o I think when I graze I tend to reach for junky options - so have loads of carbs which make me hungrier and so the circle continues. I try to stick to 2/3 meals a day and no or minimal snacking it's harder just now as I'm stuck at home most of the time but mainly I manage it (though when I fail I do so spectacularly :o). If you've found something that works for you stick with it - have you looked at the 5:2 approach I know loads of folk find it a good way to balance their eating :)

I think I've been doing my own version of the 5:2 for decades before it became popular. Just need to go back to my old ways and kick this current habit. It always worked for me, I just need to get a grip...

ETA...I do think my year of neighbour troubles have a role to play though (amongst other more worrying issues)...I'm constantly on edge and have turned to food to attempt to counteract it> just listening to my neighbour very loudly, preparing to, and spitting (hoiking up (sp) iyswim), is a sure fire way of stopping me eating any time soon :(
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I think I've been doing my own version of the 5:2 for decades before it became popular. Just need to go back to my old ways and kick this current habit. It always worked for me, I just need to get a grip...

ETA...I do think my year of neighbour troubles have a role to play though (amongst other more worrying issues)...I'm constantly on edge and have turned to food to attempt to counteract it> just listening to my neighbour very loudly, preparing to, and spitting (hoiking up (sp) iyswim), is a sure fire way of stopping me eating any time soon :(

Yes I do think stress has a big part to play in how well or not we feed ourselves:(
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I ended up having 2 burgers and a tin of baked beans for dinner.

Just woken up feeling decidedly sick...hope I've not poisoned myself :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hope you are ok karcher

I am getting the rest of my tinned pea soup out and putting them in the food bank. Had a horrible restless long night, with heartburn all night, whenever I lay down. It was definitly the soup, had similar when I had a soup at that time previously. Just remembered that I had some weetabix later on too. Drat, now which one caused it?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm blaming "all of your" for making me put weight on.

I'll try to post fewer times in the next couple of weeks as I think posting here makes me think about food too much .... and makes me eat more food :)

:)

Starving already though... eyed up those "ripen at home" plums that are still lurking ... but didn't fancy them.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Pops up wickedly and says "pies" ....errrr "pies".....errr "pies" Pastures.

Naughty of me...:o
  • caronc
    Options
    Morning everyone
    It's still winter here and snowed earlier though didn't lie for long:eek:

Toast and banana for breakfast and I think lunch may well be toasted cheese with the last of the coleslaw. Tonight I'm having steamed salmon, baby potatoes, asparagus and spinach - so ptetty healthy apart from the big dod of butter I'll no doubt add to the veg:o

PN - my "ripen at home" plums bought last week are still like bullets so will be getting left in the fruit bowl for a bit :(

Karcher & Kittie - hope you both are feeling better:)

moneyistooshorttomention :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport