IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones CCJ

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2017 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Thanks all. I was out with friends at the time, parked in a dark quiet street a couple of miles away from where they have alleged, but how do I prove it?!

I'll wait to hear further, as I said defence submitted a few weeks ago so when I hear more I'm sure I'll be back picking your brains. Thanks all.

It's not Euro Car Parks is it, your first post is not correct. Wrong firm. Use your eye for detail, please! This is court stuff! It's Euro Parking Services, you will find Blogs by the Parking Prankster about people beating Gladstones claims re that lot. READ SOME. Learn from them.

Sadly the fact you weren't there doesn't prove your car wasn't. Have you not heard of 'keeper liability; until now? You will need to be familiar with it because they are using the POFA Schedule 4 to hold you liable.

You will get a chance to expend at Witness Statement stage, as you will have seen when you read post #2 of NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST'. Even though you've shot toes off with that defence, gain your legs to stand on for Witness Statement stage. Like we told MRDOLLAR in this pepipoo thread, who had written an awful defence (his reaction has been weak despite me - posting as SchoolRunMum on pepipoo - and other regulars telling him what to write to try to rescue his case which is fairly disastrously, further down the line than yours:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=112339&st=0

Final tip, read Jack Basta's and backtobasix's threads because there is a chance you can get a Judge to chuck the case out at DQ stage (you will know what that is from the NEWBIES thread post #2 about small claims, what happens when) on the fact the Particulars of Claim are as sparse as your defence.

DQ next but Gladstones will likely send a misleading version asking for the case to be heard 'on the papers' which you will object to, of course. To be ready for that and to seize the chance at DQ stage to ask the court in a covering letter, for a strike out, see here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72186926#post72186926

Jack Basta and backtobasix* saw off their claims at DQ stage with a letter as discussed in their threads. Worth a shot, and worth repeating later if not, push and push for the case to be struck out at each stage and come back to use BEFORE writing anything each time.

This is not just a case of waiting for your court day, you have other chances in between. You have made life more difficult for yourself by making no research efforts when getting the claim form, which is regrettable but still worth a fight.

HTH

*search the members list for them and click on their username to read their threads.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Witness statements from those who can swear you were elsewhere or, even better, their attendance in court.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    still missing the point here

its not about where the OP was !

its about where the vehicle bearing the VRM ABC123YZ was at that particular time on that particular day

as CM said, they are holding THE KEEPER liable for the fact that THEIR VEHICLE was alledgedly on that waste ground at that time , on that day

they probably dont care where the OP was , even if the OP was in Timbuctoo

the DRIVER has not been identified
  • longleggedhair
    longleggedhair Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:13AM
    Options
    Thanks all. Redx, I want you to be honest with me. I've spent the last few days doing lots of reading and research as per your recommendation (better late than never) below is the defence I submitted. Should I throw in the towel now, have I ruined my chances or do you think it's worth continuing?

I received a letter from Euro Parking Services in November 2015, they were demanding £100 for a parking charge as they claimed I had parked at a place called city heights. As I have never been to or even heard of this place I immediately knew it was some sort of scam.

The only evidence provided was a blackened photo with my registration number barely visible-there was no evidence to prove where the photo had been taken, nothing was visible on the photo other than my registration which could have been taken anywhere. I called them to advise that I completely refuted the invoice they had sent, unsurprisingly I never heard from them again.

Then last week I received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors with a new demand now for £160. I again called to advise that I had never been to city heights. I explained that there had been no evidence provided to me to which they responded " they had no evidence on file" I find it quite disturbing that a solicitor would take on a case without even seeing any evidence. I was threatened with if you don't pay were taking you to court which obviously they now have done for over £250.

This matter has caused me significant distress as I have never been to court or had any issue like this in my life however I am deeply concerned at what this firm is doing to innocent motorists.

On a separate not how can a company even if they had a legitimate claim possibly demand £250 for a parking ticket-it is wholly disproportionate.

I therefore completely dispute this claim.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Another thing is the court have written to say that Gladstones have 28 days to respond to my defence (which is rapidly approaching) and that if they don't the claim will be "set aside" I'm just wondering if they are waiting until the final day to reply or weather they sometimes pull out at this stage?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    plenty of info on Gladstones if you do the research, including similar issues to what you have asked about (check parking pranksters blogs for starters)

I do not give out legal advice so wont be commenting on your actual defence , others with experience in these matters may do so (I do point people at this stuff written by my peers though)

read my signature please
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Should I throw in the towel now, have I ruined my chances or do you think it's worth continuing?
    Your defence is better than MPDOLLAR's and you get to build on it later. Stop being a wetwipe, as my DD would say!

I told you what to do next...what did you learn from the threads by Jack Basta and backtobasix, when you looked them up in the members' list? That's your next chance to get this struck out, so are you ready for this next stage, to copy what they did?
  • longleggedhair
    longleggedhair Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:04AM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Your defence is better than MPDOLLAR's and you get to build on it later. Stop being a wetwipe, as my DD would say!

I told you what to do next...what did you learn from the threads by Jack Basta and backtobasix, when you looked them up in the members' list? That's your next chance to get this struck out, so are you ready for this next stage, to copy what they did?

Thank you coupon mad. I shall wait to hear further from them and get back to you all. Thanks for the help. While my defence has been poor, i shall hopefully be able to build on it by trying to get it struck out, and don't worry while this whole thing has got me down and I did consider throwing in the towel I'm not going to allow them to get away with it.:o
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Good stuff, you have nothing to lose because even throwing in the towel now would likely cost more to settle than a Judge would order, if you lose. And we win! Your defence has aspects to build on, more than you realised.

And their Particulars of Claim are woeful and need you to draw that to the court's attention at ALL stages form now on, with an assertive covering letter, starting with the DQ stage.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Good stuff, you have nothing to lose because even throwing in the towel now would likely cost more to settle than a Judge would order, if you lose. And we win! Your defence has aspects to build on, more than you realised.

And their Particulars of Claim are woeful and need you to draw that to the court's attention at ALL stages form now on, with an assertive covering letter, starting with the DQ stage.

Will do! So now it's just a waiting game. Pleased that you don't think my defence is too bad!

I just can't believe things like this happen to people, and I'm not the first and clearly won't be the last. Thanks guys. A part of me is now looking forward to the fight!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure