DWP interview under caution

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    No, in his example it was the girlfriend who was being dishonest, and he was failing to report her.

That may be the case. He doesn't actually say she was claiming benefits as a lone parent.,although she may well have been.

I know that for many on here of course that that sort of thing is just fine, but you don’t get to insist that others share that view.

I don't insist that anyone shares my view.

But my view is that there is no evidence that Danday did anything dishonest, and that you shouldn't accuse people of dishonesty without evidence.

Perhaps you think he had a moral responsibility to report his girlfriend to the authorities, but that doesn't make him dishonest in my view. It must be very hard to report a loved one who is doing something illegal.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    But would that be enough to prove that co-habiting wasn't happening?

How many people who say live at home with their parents (with all of the evidence to prove that fact) yet spend upwards of say 5 nights a week staying with their girlfriend who just happens to be claiming that she is a single mum?

I know I did and so did many of my friends many years ago. In my case because I owned a car I I used to take her child to school in a morning, take the girlfriend shopping every week, cook meals for her in the evening, The question is was she co-habituating with me?

With the amount of time you were spending there, particularly the overnight stays, it's virtually certain that the authorities would have deemed it to be cohabiting. You have done nothing illegal in that situation, but the girlfriend has by not informing the authorities of the situation. There are many couple who spend far fewer nights together, and meals together, due to work patterns but they are still couples and must claim benefits accordingly.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Well, to answer your question, no-one honest would do as you did. Spending five days a week there is clearly taking the mick if she is claiming to be a single mum.

It happened all of the time.

The point I was making is that even having proof of address, registered to vote, service bills etc does not mean that co-habitation isn't happening elsewhere.

It's one very diificult area to argue - your main and permanent address maybe in one place but if you regularly stay with a girlfriend in another place who is claiming as a single woman for her benefits she does run the risk of being treated as in a relationship/couple.

Maybe I would add that those on here that say it was a case of co-habiting, could suggest at what point does it change from being single to being in a co-habiting relationship?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Danday wrote: »

It's one very diificult area to argue - your main and permanent address maybe in one place but if you regularly stay with a girlfriend in another place who is claiming as a single woman for her benefits she does run the risk of being treated as in a relationship/couple.

Maybe I would add that those on here that say it was a case of co-habiting, could suggest at what point does it change from being single to being in a co-habiting relationship?

There are no hard and fast regulations covering this as far as I know. It will come down to the considered opinion of the DWP investigators as to whether there is a realistic probability of their view being accepted by the court. Very simplisticly, if the two parties spend the majority of their time together, including overnight stays, meals together, sharing costs and bills etc they are likely to be considered to be a couple.
  • a_silver_lining
    Options
    Nick-C, I would ignore him. If you read his past posts you will see he has a history of this. Responding is mostly likely what he wants.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • danny0
    danny0 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    ahh thanks thats the answer i was looking for "wow lots of people sharing there personal opinions nearly missed this post" :)

just on a quick one i mentioned micky mouse as ive been shown the tape and its laughable things like well your ex partner has been observed going to the house " well thats because the ex partner has a daughter that lives at that address "
    basically these institutions are having suffered from cutbacks from our amazing goverment so have to try and get as much cash from people regardless of facts or the truth , the council are the same
    someone phoned the dwp up out of spite hey presto thats enough ill get execution chamber ready haha

so forgive me if use terms like dog or the cartoon character micky mouse just based on observatons im not about to go in with my friend kicking off haha its dont really matter what there called on here haha apologies if ive offended any DWP fans

thanks again for the advise ill let you all know what they result is
  • danny0
    danny0 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    does the ex partner have anything registered at her address? (car insurance, bills etc?) is the ex renting elsewhere? can they provide their tenancy agreement, electoral roll, bills in their name etc that can be provided to evidence he is living elsewhere?

from what i been told there has been nothing in the exs name ,like i stated the landlord wrote a letter confirming my friends statement
    a mandatory decleration to back up given proof stating that the ex has never had residencyy at said address also added the person was homeless for a nuumber of yrs

all the dwp are going off is from some not so friendly tip off that the wanted to cause problems this was explained to the defendant

thanks for your reply bud
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    danny0 wrote: »
    ahh thanks thats the answer i was looking for "wow lots of people sharing there personal opinions nearly missed this post" :)

just on a quick one i mentioned micky mouse as ive been shown the tape and its laughable things like well your ex partner has been observed going to the house " well thats because the ex partner has a daughter that lives at that address "
    basically these institutions are having suffered from cutbacks from our amazing goverment so have to try and get as much cash from people regardless of facts or the truth , the council are the same
    someone phoned the dwp up out of spite hey presto thats enough ill get execution chamber ready haha

so forgive me if use terms like dog or the cartoon character micky mouse just based on observatons im not about to go in with my friend kicking off haha its dont really matter what there called on here haha apologies if ive offended any DWP fans

Tape of what?
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    all the dwp are going off is from some not so friendly tip off that the wanted to cause problems this was explained to the defendant

But if they have undertaken surveillance (and you say that the alleged partner has been observed at the property) then they are not just going off a 'not so friendly tip off'. To apply for surveillance they must have had documentary evidence of him using that address- and when they do surveillance they do more than seeing him there once.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So this interview was over 5 years ago then if it's on tape?

Observations of them going to the house, having a child isn't much of an excuse, most people tend to have the child visit and stay with them.

You could round in circles. There will be more on this "tape" then just that. A DM would not have made a decision solely on them visiting the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure