cancel lovefilm

Options

Comments

• Bolb
    Bolb Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

I have a question about the trial cancellation, it says on my account page
    'Your free trial will expire when we send your last free rental, or after 30 days, whichever is the sooner'
    This doesn't mean I will be charged as soon as they send out the last disc does it? Do I get time to send them all back and then cancel? I'm confued where it says 'as soon as last dics is sent'

Thankyou!
    Wins since Sept 2012: Olive oil and jams, Honeybuns Cookies, Elizabeth Arden 8hr Cream, Balenciaga perfume, Lindt Chocolate, Revlon Nail Vanish, Maggi Mix, Soap & Glory Mascara :j
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cancelling with Lovefilm is very simple and can be done online, you then have to return any discs you still have before the date of what would have been your next payment, otherwise you will be charged for another month. Once you have put in a cancellation request though they will not send any new discs so make sure you don't cancel until you have received the final disc you wish to have before terminating your account. It is also very easy to reinstate your account if you wish and I got an offer for 3 months for the price of 2 three months or so after I cancelled. Lovefilm service is fast and efficient and they don't insist you get Certificates of Posting when you return discs, they also will not charge you for properly reported missing discs (whether sent from them or from you) either, although they reserve the right to terminate your account if too many go missing from either end.

@Bolb, I suggest you email Lovefilm via the website with your question, they always reply quickly (I'm not sure of the answer as I've always had unlimited packages).

A point to note for everyone - when you are taking out the free trial take out the most expensive package in the area you prefer (DVDs or DVDs and Games), if you want to stay on with Lovefilm you can always downgrade your package (so long as you do it at least 3 days before your next payment is due) to a more suitable one but you may as well get as many discs/games as you can out of the free trial.
    2020 Wins:
  • autumngirl
    autumngirl Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Saetana wrote: »
    when you are taking out the free trial take out the most expensive package in the area you prefer (DVDs or DVDs and Games), if you want to stay on with Lovefilm you can always downgrade your package (so long as you do it at least 3 days before your next payment is due) to a more suitable one but you may as well get as many discs/games as you can out of the free trial.

That's very good advice and I wish I'd done that myself! Before signing up I didn't realise you could downgrade so I opted to trial one of the cheap packages (not wanting to pay much when the free trial ended) but it only allows me one disc at a time and I still managed to watch my monthly allocation of films with lots of time to spare!
  • stevie197
    Options
    I tried to cancel my 1 month subscription, and they upgraded me to a 3 month sub!
    Probably in the hope i would forget to cancel after my extra 2 month!!
  • DreamKitty
    Options
    Ok call me desperate but I tried the altering my adress by using a different number and it worked. The DVD has been shipped on Saturday and I checked my mail. It hasn't arrived.

Getting a bit worried now!:o
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DreamKitty wrote: »
    Ok call me desperate but I tried the altering my adress by using a different number and it worked. The DVD has been shipped on Saturday and I checked my mail. It hasn't arrived.

Getting a bit worried now!:o
    Wait 4 working days and then report it missing via the Lovefilm site, its a simple procedure and they will then immediately send out a new disc for you. The only thing they require is that you fill out the Royal Mail missing item form when they post it to you (this can take a few weeks). The first game we had from Lovefilm when we rejoined also went missing and I had no further problems, stuff does go astray in the post sometimes (I had one go missing that I was sending back, it wasn't a problem but they did actually get it about 2 weeks later so go figure!) :)
    2020 Wins:
  • DreamKitty
    Options
    Thank you Saetana, Sounds like a good plan, the reason why I actually wanted to another Trial is to get a £10 M&S or Debenhams. When I was on a trial, I always signed up to the months that didn't have the voucher offer going so I hope if my DVD has gone missing, no one opens it!:j
  • Seo_Go
    Options
    skibster wrote: »
    I wouldn't mess with lovefilm; it's not worth the hassle. I had them for awhile last summer and got tired of the old movies they sent after you've been with them a couple of months (you can't number selection order). Which wouldn't matter if you just want to take the free deal and run, but you can't cancel online like you can with Blockbuster, you have to call, and you may or may not be cut off after waiting for a rep and have to call back a few times. I had a film that hadn't come after several days and I wanted to make sure it was sorted before my next payment or else they renew. So I wanted to report it as never arrived, but you also can't do that online at lovefilm (but you can at Blockbuster) -- you have to call customer service and get them to send you a form. Which never came. The disc showed up in a couple of days and I immediately returned it and was able to cancel without extra charges, but the form never arrived, which means the surly customer service guy never sent it out. So if the disc hadn't arrived, they would have charged me for another month and I would've spent more time on the phone trying to get a form to fill out and mail back. From reading reviews of Lovefilm, it seems that is one of their ploys. Also, many people have said when they cancel that lovefilm claims it didn't receive the final movies you sent back, so it will keep charging you for your subscription and charge you for the DVDs that "weren't returned". It's just not worth the hassle -- Blockbuster is the easiest to deal with and is one of the few that isn't powered by Lovefilm (Amazon is good too, but it was just bought by Lovefilm so it will be switching over to crap service soon). If you do join, follow Allan's sound advice above and you will probably be able to avoid problems.

This is Sooo True! I have a video of the 2 hours of not getting through, we have call it Love Video. Con
    I will post it here when ready.
  • matj16
    matj16 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Personally i havent had any problems.

I used a cashback site for my first month and then canceled. It was without hassle and they answered my call quick and canceled my payments straight away.

On top of that if you wait for a few months afterwards they will eventually send you a 3 months for the price of 1 offer which im currently using. Due to the cashback i have had 4 months love film for free.

Moneysaving at its best.

Mat
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 April 2011 at 6:35PM
    Options
    skibster wrote: »
    I wouldn't mess with lovefilm; it's not worth the hassle. I had them for awhile last summer and got tired of the old movies they sent after you've been with them a couple of months (you can't number selection order). QUOTE]
    Skibster thats rubbish with respect. as a lovefilm customer of over 3 years they dont send you rubbish after a few months..they try always to send you red first choice titles. if they cant then they send second choice yellow. they have never sent me a green choice. have a decent sized list of titles and you wont go wrong..you can clearly priortise and as you compile the lists yourself there should be nothing on there potentially that you would deem rubbish - of course factoring in any disappointing titles that looked good or appealing at the time.

Also Skibster your comment about not being able to report as disc as not arrived online is an out and out lie.

Also have to say have had nothing but top class customer service from them which in itself is rare these days.Never had any surly customer service reps.. (perhaps you were addressing them with anger or attitude skibster) OK email customer service is a few youths in Peterborough with non british origin names who usually completely get it wrong and misread your emailsin my experience but phone customer service is excellent.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport