Issue with Travel agent not progressing a refund

Options
Hi all,
Im looking for some help before i completely lose the will to live!
I will try and keep it short.....
We booked flights through global travel as follows :- Manchester - Florida (with a connecting flight from JFk - MCO) on both legs of the journey.
We were due to land at Florida at 10pm and had booked seperate flights with Delta not through the travel agent at 6.30 am the next morning (staying in the aiprort hotel overnight) to go back to new york for a few days (and then seperate flights again 3 days later to Florida . Dont ask why its a very long story).
When we arrived at JFK for the connecting flight to florida we were told there was a 7 hour flight. This meant we would have missed our am flight back to New york. We rang delta who were very good and told us to just stay in new york and not get the connecting flight and that they would cancel and refund the seperate flights we had booked from florida to new york the following morning that we wouldnt be able to mtake due to the delay.
we received the full refund for those flights within 3 days. They also told us that because the connecting flights were through the travel agent (albeit a delta flight) we had to write to the travel agent and go through them but that we would receive a refund.

I contacted the travel agent 17 weeks ago and was told it would take 6-8 weeks for the refund to be processed. After 10 weeks i contacted them and they said they were chasing delta. After 13 weeks they said they were still chasing them. Its now 17 weeks and the travel agent have said they have chased them up last week but as they havent had a response they will offer me £50 as a refund. The flights cost in excess of £300.

I have asked for the refund documentation and all correspondance under the Freedom of Information Act (though not sure if this is correct) but i just wanted some advice off anyone who may know if there is anything else I can do.

I have no faith in the travel agent at all and i have little confidence that they have even requested a refund on our behalf.

Do i just have to accept their £50?
Thanks Guys :)
V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I must admit I am slightly confused, the flights from Florida back to New York have been refunded already, am I right so far? You are looking for a refund for the second part of your journey to Florida on the first day which you chose not to take, right again?

How did you get back to Florida at the end of your stay in New York? If the return was cancelled and you got a refund, did the airline not just utilise the second part of your original booking through Global Travel ( and believe me I am not trying to find an excuse for them) in which case there would be no refund due? It might be useful to contact Delta again and ask if a refund application has been submitted at all, another problem I can see is that although the distance to New York is shorter than to Florida, I suspect the fare may be the same or even higher so there would no refund due
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure