PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 15th December 2017

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone

TA I hope that Mr TA’s appointment went ok, and yours Nelski.

Another night not sleeping. This is becoming a habit again. I managed to sleep for about two hours and gave up and got up at 4.00am and have been reading. I already feel totally wrung out.

It feels like it has turned cold again here this morning. I couldn’t get warm yesterday afternoon and spend most of it on the sofa dozing. It was probably more to do with lack of sleep the night before than anything else.

Dinner yesterday was just some nuked cod, mashed potatoes that I had in the fridge and a tin of peas. I just didn’t feel up to cooking anything else. I got some stewing beef out to defrost last night and will put a root stew in the slow cooker in a minute. At least I will have a nice warming dinner for tonight.

Yesterday’s plans to get the washing done didn’t happen, so I need to get that done today. It will have to go in the tumble dryer unfortunately.

I had better make a start on getting the stew in the slow cooker.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him in a while, he'll be coming with me to the SM first thing, then walking to the gym.

Still dark here, damp and cold too.

Dinner last night was lamb casserole, mash, and veg - delicious it was too in the end, but nearly a disaster - I visited the butcher in town and bought the lamb, then stopped off at MrL**l on the way past to purchase some xmas bits - nuts, chocs etc, bottle of wine and got home at approx 2pm, decided I had enough time to put the lamb into the slow cooker and just leave it - at 3.30pm I decided to check on it, it was still raw and didn't really appear to be cooking - the lamb was fillet pieces so quite thick, I decided to transfer it to my cast iron cooking pot on the gas hob, getting it cooking then transfer to the oven - by 5pm it was cooked tender and lovely, but cooking too much and wouldn't have lasted to 6.30pm without burning - so had to transfer it back into the slow cooker! What a faff! Tonight will be something easy and chips, probably mushroom omelette and salad for me.

Yesterday I was reasonably productive even after all the faff with dinner. I managed to get most of my "to do" list done, the couple of jobs not done were one's that I deliberately moved on to today's "to do" list - visiting the cemeteries here and 1 in a village a few miles away to lay the xmas wreaths and also do the ironing, and wrapping of prezzies ready for delivery tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I'm visiting my friend to take her children their gifts - they are still really young and believe so stealth will be needed! Then in the afternoon we'll be going to visit DH's grandad to take his card and prezzie.

The xmas cake was covered in marzipan yesterday too, the WM was kept busy - but still more to go. Xmas cards written too, they will be posted/delivered today. Makes me feel so much better when I keep busy, I'll definitely be getting a schedule together after xmas to keep on top of everything and I need to get back to the gym. I'd like to lose a bit more weight have been sort of trying but it's not really working but I'm not giving it my full attention so that will be a priority in the New Year.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. (HUGS) I hope you soon feel better.

The girls arrived yesterday for tea and were mortified we hadn't trimmed up! We are now trimmed up!! Shuttle service of boxes up and down from loft. Talk about putting the cart before the horse - I haven't even cleaned up yet!!

Two to take to school but middle DGD (prima ballerina) has a last dress rehearsal before the Panto opens tomorrow at Bradford Alhambra. She is getting picked up at 8.50. Still her pack ups for the day to sort out. I was too tired last night.

Today I must summon up the energy to do a clean round. Everywhere has been so neglected through my illness. Then make a start on the cards and this w/e hopefully make a start on bagging/wrapping. So much to do and so little enthusiasm.

Yesterday's appointment was basically a review of what the neurologist told us last time. This time, now that the diagnosis has had chance to sink in, in more depth. For the present obtaining a blue badge, informing DVLA of diagnosis etc. Also how he expects his mobility to decline over time etc. All very depressing stuff and I think it has really hit Mr TA now.

Now we have the Oncology appt to look forward to on the 28th Dec for the result of his latest scan. I know this time there will be changes and it's such a worry waiting to hear what's what with his cancer. Life is pretty sh*te.

Oh well now I have cheared you up (!!) have a good day all and hope you are all better organised than me. (HUGS) to all who want/need them and take care. I am praying we haven't a re-run of yesterday's ice, it was deadly. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Good morning, and thanks for starting off HH.
    Sorry to hear about your sleep problems, I suffer this way as well. Even if I fall asleep quickly, I wake frequently, and by 4am that's it - no more sleep. I've never been a particularly good sleeper even as a child. Wish I was like DH - head on pillow, sleep instantly, usually stays that way until the morning.

My laptop has been out of action, so haven't posted for a couple of days, but DH has fixed it.
    I haven't done anything wildly exciting over the last couple of days, wrapped some presents, and given them out, still got more to do though.

I 've tidied my wardrobe and drawers, put a few things aside for the chazzer, I'm going to go through my shoes, I know there are some that could go,

The weather has turned much milder, it was raining earlier. Think it has to cool down again though.
    Hope everyone has a good Friday.
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Popping back to say say sorry that everything is so bad for you and Mr TA, at the moment, TA. I hope you start to feel better soon. It's so much harder to cope with everything when you are not well.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Another freezing cold morning but I am going to jump in the shower to warm up once I have finished posting on here. Steve has gone off to work and he is working on today so I won't see him until tonight. He has been begged to go in tomorrow as well as there is so much work that needs to be finished before the Christmas shut down.

Becky came back home for the weekend yesterday and she looks really well. We are going to spend the weekend gutting her room and I have ordered her a new wardrobe, chest of drawers and a bedside table in the hope she will keep it all tidy in there. At the moment it looks like a hoarders room so there needs to be a lot of stuff leaving the house especially with Christmas round the corner and more stuff coming in. She is not thrilled with the idea but has agreed to help.

I will be taking Phoebe to her camhs appointment this morning and then she wants to go into school as it is the last day before they break up. Hopefully she will be ok today as the last few appointments have upset her and she just wanted to go home to bed.

TravellingAbuela, I am sending you a massive hug through the ether as you sound very down. It must be such a huge worry for you and I wish I could say something to make you feel better xx

Hollyharvey, you are another one who is getting a virtual hug. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight xx

nmlc, you always sound so busy and organised and your meals always make me feel hungry even at this time of the morning :D. Hope you get some time to yourself today xx

I am going to be making a sausage and mushroom pasta dish for tea for me and Steve and the girls are fending for themselves I think. I also have a few loads of washing to put away before I make a start with Becky so I need to get going now.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2017 at 8:18AM
    Options
    Morning all

Seems a bit milder here today but have not looked out of the blinds yet to see what's happening. Last day at work for me I cant wait till 4.30 today
    :j, its takeaway and wine tonight too :D

Tomorrow its our girls annual xmas do, my old manager is going whom Im miss so much so it will be nice to see her, we are doing an afternoon early evening thing this year as one of the girls has just had a baby and does not want to leave him all evening, we plan on doing a bit of shopping and stop for wine every half hour then go for a meal at six and be home mid evening, I am looking forward to it.

Sunday it will be lots of finishing bits and bobs in the kitchen and some diy jobs around the house, OH knocked a big bit of plaster off of the fireplace the other day so that will need re doing.

Hugs to the TA's xx

Right better get on have good days all xxx
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    I'm up early because we are going into the shopping center to get each other's Xmas prezzies. I have a list but I don't know if I will buy anything on it, probably change my mind at the last minute :rotfl:.
    Anyway will pop back later.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Cold, wet and windy this morning, I can see ice still on the driveway, I gritted it last night but I expect the rain has washed it away.

Sorry you're feeling so down TA, have a hug.
    Have a good weekend with Becky dumpling.
    Sorry you're not sleeping Holly, I usually wake up around 5 and get up and potter about before work.

I had a surprise phone call last night - DS1. Now he hasn't contacted me for over 4 years but has now split with his GF who I think caused all the problems, especially with DD. We had a good chat and he is ok, I have worried that he was unhappy which I think he has been but wants to meet up, not sure that will happen before I go away but there's always the new year.

Early finish for me today and the staff night out later, not my favourite thing but will stay for the meal and leave before everyone drinks too much!

Happy Friday. Take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,048 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning!

Another day in Glasgow doing Mum things. She’s got an early appointment at the docs, she prefers afternoons really.

My car is still being repaired, won’t be ready until next Wednesday. There’s more damage than at first look.

On the way down yesterday I decided to cook some ‘proper’ food for DM after her two weeks of mostly ping meals. With that in mind I picked up the ingredients for an easy chicken and chorizo meal. When I arrived here DM had raided her freezer and prepared the exact same meal which was in the oven! Just weird.

TA - I hope you can take things easy. I know your life is mad busy looking after everyone else, you are important too.

Must dash, good vibes all round and I wish everyone a Happy Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure