PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed on reciept of buyers homebuyer report

Options
2»

Comments

• helkingst
    Options
    Personally don't think that the report findings warrant a reduction of £3.5K, the extra sockets made me laugh too :-)
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2014 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Agreed, tell the EA the answer is no and why if the work was carried out do they also want a reduction in the price?

Actually, they have done you a favour showing you the report, because it doesn't name anything really serious does it :j
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pete9501 wrote: »
    Agreed, tell the EA the answer is no and why if the work was carried out do they also want a reduction in the price?

Actually, they have done you a favour showing you the report, because it doesn't name anything really serious does it :j
    Not in this case.

Asking the question simply implies you will do one or the other, but none of these issues warrent work OR a reduction in price.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The buyer is taking the p1ss with the sockets. Surely they managed to count them when they viewed the house?

I certainly wouldn't get the electrics checked on their behalf. If a problem does show up, it will only give them more wiggle room to negotiate downward on price. At least if they employ their own electrician to this this, it shows they are at least serious.

Getting the gas rechecked, and sorting out the cabling in the loft ought to be straightforward, and certainly come in well under £3,500.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe get the smell of gas in the kitchen investigated....just in case!
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • princeofpounds
    Options
    I am very surprised any of those are 3s except the gas smell perhaps.

Every survey recommends an electricity test as surveyors are not electricians and pretty much any installation becomes non-compliant after a couple of years. It barely ever means anything.

The sockets thing is just not a problem full stop. That's for the owners to do if they want.

The cables is not good practice but if there is no scorching currently it is highly unlikely to ever be a problem. And it's easy to fix if you care.

The gas thing is more concerning. I've never smelt gas near a functioning boiler. A gassafe check is not that expensive and I'd trust one, but remember the buyer doesn't know that the gas smell came before the safety check.

So they are basically just asking for a price cut. At most I'd offer them a gassafe test and access if they wanted to do their own electricity test. Assuming I thought I could achieve the same price if they pull out.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gas and electric are always marked as a 3 - the surveyor is not an expert on either of these. The buyer should be advised to conduct their own tests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure