dilemma with older dog

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like he is deteriorating:(. Perhaps by the time your holiday comes round, the decision that his time has come will be evident for you. I put one of mine down 13 days ago; he was stilling running about and mostly eating, but his weight was dropping and he had started to have fits which were getting worse. I took the stance that it was better to go with some quality of life rather than hang on for another week or more and maybe suffer too much. There isn't any right way to come to the decision other than to do your best for your pet as you can.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where's the blood leaking from? His bottom or his boy bits?
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The leaking has been happening for a few years. Whenever he is walking around or lying down fresh blood will leak out of him. Occasionly it has been in his urine (although not now) but mainly it just comes out as he walks around. He didnt seem to affect him. It is quite random as it will happen for a couple of days or maybe just a day and then it not happen for weeks/months.

Have they actually said what is causing it eg kidney problem?

"Getting older & not being done" is a bit vague.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Poppy_Jane_Parka
    Options
    Am so so sorry you're in this position OP- thoughts go to you, your family and your dogs. xx
  • needsomecash
    needsomecash Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for all the suppoort.

The blood leaks from his boy bits. They checked his prostate last year and said it was normal for a dog of that age. As it was fresh blood they said it was not internal as it would be darker. As it happens so randomly (might leak for a day or two then stop for weeks/months) they said to leave it. Last year and again last week they said it is most likely down to being not done.

They thought maybe getting him neutured could possibly stop it.

Since sat apart from the occasional slip on his legs he has been running round the garden, eating normally, getting up fine, the bleeding is virtually stopped which then makes you wonder if he is ready!!
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im sorry your dog is getting to this stage. The choice may well be made for you before your holiday. I could not put a dog at that stage in to kennels, it would be vey unfair on the dog. Kennels probably would not take him either in that state. Having said that I could not put a dog to sleep because I was going on holiday either! I understand your point of view but if it was me I would not go on holiday, if he still had quality of life at that point I would not put to sleep because I was going away I would cancel the holiday!
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not to mention that as he hasn't had his booster the kennels wouldn't accept him anyway.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous if the vet is recommending he should be neutered at this stage of his life.

He has enough to deal with. He doesn't need an anaesthetic and operation and uncomfortable recovery period.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous if the vet is recommending he should be neutered at this stage of his life.

He has enough to deal with. He doesn't need an anaesthetic and operation and uncomfortable recovery period.

Possibly, but an un-neutered dog of his age runs a very high risk of getting cancer, if he hasn't already.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • needsomecash
    needsomecash Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

The vet said about the bleeding that it is probably caused by not being neutered. He said not to worry about that now as it happens randomly and with his legs/weight loss etc is pointless.

The vet did not give the booster yet as he said it may not be worth it. He could not see the dog lasting another year and said we would probably be looking at months if not weeks.

He did say that if he was still around nearer the holiday time and we needed the kennels then he would do the booster then. I did ask about the time limit but he said not to worry about it.

I spoke to the kennels straight after the vets and they said they would still take him. If he was ill they would call out a vet. I would need to leave a contact number and if he had to be put to sleep then this person would have to give the permission.

The vet gave me 3 choices while there, put to sleep, try medicam for pain (and go back in 2 weeks) or leave him as he is. He said it is a hard choice as he is near the end but not quite there.

When was at the vets I opted for medicam for now and to see how he goes. I asked the vet on the way out if it was his dog what would he have done and he said he would have done the same choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure