Tumble dryers

Options
2»

Comments

• Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Wow can't afford 400 plus, we are furnishing a full house from scratch. Maybe in the future! The ones I have been looking at have been around £200. I have a 7kg washer now and that's more than enough for bedding, however most I've looked at have been 8kg anyway.
    Thanks all. Food for thought
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Think about if you actually do need one as they are expensive to run, noisy and big and don't tend to last that long.
    Do you have outside space you can hang clothes out for a good 8 months of the year?
    Do you have an airing cupboard or some space inside you can create an airing cupboard? If not, is there a laundrette local you can dry your washing?
    Once you go down the tumble dryer route it will drain you of thousands of pounds over the years.
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had all three types. The vented gives the better drying capacity, the condenser was pretty loud and not that efficient and the heat pump was fine for two years and now the capacitor keeps going and therefore the drum wont turn (obviously another issue) and trying to find someone who can repair the heat pump is proving a problem. That said it is very efficient and I would definitely have another. I now dont have the option for a vented.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Lauralou79 wrote: »
    Wow can't afford 400 plus, we are furnishing a full house from scratch. Maybe in the future! The ones I have been looking at have been around £200. I have a 7kg washer now and that's more than enough for bedding, however most I've looked at have been 8kg anyway.
    Thanks all. Food for thought

Stick a line up you have at least 4 months when you wont need a dryer.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think about if you actually do need one as they are expensive to run, noisy and big and don't tend to last that long.
    Do you have outside space you can hang clothes out for a good 8 months of the year?
    Do you have an airing cupboard or some space inside you can create an airing cupboard? If not, is there a laundrette local you can dry your washing?
    Once you go down the tumble dryer route it will drain you of thousands of pounds over the years.

I agree with you in principle - however I think you're scaremongering somewhat.

We've had our tumble dryer for about 10 years now - a bog-standard vented model. It is a Bosch, which I believe have a decent reputation, and it wasn't the cheapest to buy - that said, it was pretty much the most basic in their range at the time. It's never missed a beat, and touch wood is still going strong. Sure, all our stuff goes out on the line when the weather permits, but we use the dryer when needed. And living in Scotland, that's quite often :rotfl:

I think the rough ball-park figure is something like 60p per load to run a dryer - obviously that varies a huge amount depending upon the type of laundry, the tariff you're on, and the efficiency of the model. But it's a starting point.

Sure, a dryer is not the cheapest appliance in the house - but it's not "hundreds of pounds a year" territory - unless it's on all day every day.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had vented for about 20 years, due to a house move I now have a condenser, can't fault it.
    Currently not plumbed in so I empty the reservoir onto the plants outside.
    Both have pluses and minuses but I am happy with condenser. Would have gone for vented again but the hole in the wall would impact the driveway and we live next to woods so mice and voles are in abundance
    It was about £300
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a garden or dryer now as live in a flat. However we will have space for a dryer in the utility room so might as well. It won't be used daily but be more for things like bedding and towels and clothes that don't shrink! And we live in the north of England I wouldn't class outdoor drying as that reliable a source tbh!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Can you DIY the hole in the wall?

If not put that cost towards a condenser.

vented and condenser cost about the same to run as they both use a heater.

if you have plumbing in the utility make sure the dryer has that option unless you want to save the water from the tank.

if you have the space in a utility a hanging airer and dehumidifier will work.

Around £200 you have loads of choice, it is just a waiting game for a deal.
    (keep an eye on codes and cashbacks)

Helps to have a washer with a low residual moisture rating.

have a look at for an example of deals that will be out there.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/indesit-ecotime-condenser-tumble-dryer-idc-8t3-b-white-153-09-delivered-tesco-direct-2699160

or look around for graded stock.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I considered a dryer for my new kitchen. Even though there is plenty of space, I decided against for reasons of safety.

Just make sure you check out the safety record of whatever brand you get, and keep an eye on it when in use.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you DIY the hole in the wall?

Another option is to have a hole cut in a window pane and use a window venting adaptor kit, which are quite cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure