Options
    Are you coming back and if so when?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2012 at 10:16PM
    Options
    s4mmy wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone can help -i need to buy a ticket to Norwich from Darlington on 27th August. Any thoughts as to the cheapest way to do this please.
    Assuming a one way trip...

By buying an Advance Single from East Coast Trains website it can be done for £31.35*.
    Dep Darlington 07:00, arr Norwich 10:44, change at Peterborough.

By splitting tickets at Peterborough, but travelling on exactly the same trains, you can save even more...
    Dep Darlington 07:00, arr Peterborough 08:41. Advance Single = £24.70*.
    Dep Peterborough 08:59, arr Norwich 10:44. Advance Single = £5.00.

With Advance Singles you must travel on the booked trains.

You must book those tickets marked '*' on East Coast trains website to get those fares.
  • s4mmy
    s4mmy Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly ........I'm not very good at these things and you are all amazing.
  • sjlou
    sjlou Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    hi all you train experts!! :j

I'm trying to get from Birmingham (pref International) to Heathrow T3, any ideas on splitting/ cheapest fares?

Departing on Fri 9th Nov anytime after 12 (flights not till 9pm)
    Then we arrive back to Heathrow at about 6am on Sunday 25th Nov.

The cheapest I can find is around the £130 mark for 2 adults.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas!
    :heart: Mini me due March 2014 :heart:
  • cosmojohnson
    cosmojohnson Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2012 at 12:34PM
    Options
    sjlou wrote: »
    hi all you train experts!! :j

I'm trying to get from Birmingham (pref International) to Heathrow T3, any ideas on splitting/ cheapest fares?

Departing on Fri 9th Nov anytime after 12 (flights not till 9pm)
    Then we arrive back to Heathrow at about 6am on Sunday 25th Nov.

The cheapest I can find is around the £130 mark for 2 adults.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas!

A Super Off-Peak return (valid on London Midland Trains only) from Birmingham to Euston is £21 per person. Then use Oyster from there to Heathrow which would be another £2.90 each way per person. So total would be £53.60 for both, quite a lot cheaper than the £130 or £56.20 per person as noted below.

Being restricted to London Midland means the journey to Euston takes about an hour longer than Virgin.

If time matters a bit more, you could pick up a cheap Advance single to London on Virgin for the 9th (I can see some for £11 and £15 each at the moment depending on which service you choose) and then a Super Off-Peak single London Midland only on the way back for £20.90 each. Advance fares aren't yet available for Nov 25th, but I would not recommend getting one for this date as if your flight is delayed and you miss the train you'll have to buy a new ticket.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An off peak return using Virgin and then the Underground is £56.20 a head - this can be bought on the day.

Advance singles might well be available at £12.30 a head - they certainly are for your outward journey but haven't been released yet for the return. A bit of patience will pay dividends.
  • sjlou
    sjlou Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    thanks both, much appreciated. Ill have a look into those options.
    Length of journey doesn't matter too much, so the London Midland super off peak return sounds like a good plan.
    :heart: Mini me due March 2014 :heart:
  • cosmojohnson
    Options
    sjlou wrote: »
    thanks both, much appreciated. Ill have a look into those options.
    Length of journey doesn't matter too much, so the London Midland super off peak return sounds like a good plan.

If you haven't got them already, it's probably a good idea to order a couple of Oyster Cards in advance with credit on them (as the ticket office queues at the larger tube stations get quite long). You pay a £5 refundable deposit ordering them online.
  • stormbreaker
    Options
    Trying to buy train tickets from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central. Looked on both Red Spotted Hanky and East Coast. I want a ticket that my son could travel at anytime after 9am. Both sites say you have to travel on the network you purchase the ticket for. I can get a ticket for £7.50 but he can only travel on Cross country trains. I can get a ticket for £12.90 but he can only travel on First Scotrail. The train he will most likely get is a Cross country one but he might just miss it and the next Cross Country would be too late!. Does it REALLY matter. I am sure in the past I have purchased tickets and they have not specified what train you travel on??
  • cosmojohnson
    Options
    Trying to buy train tickets from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central. Looked on both Red Spotted Hanky and East Coast. I want a ticket that my son could travel at anytime after 9am. Both sites say you have to travel on the network you purchase the ticket for. I can get a ticket for £7.50 but he can only travel on Cross country trains. I can get a ticket for £12.90 but he can only travel on First Scotrail. The train he will most likely get is a Cross country one but he might just miss it and the next Cross Country would be too late!. Does it REALLY matter. I am sure in the past I have purchased tickets and they have not specified what train you travel on??

The £12.90 fare is not restricted to any train or train operator - I'm not sure how you are inferring that from either East Coast or RSH's site?

The off-peak single is valid on trains leaving on or after 0915 and saves you 90p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure