Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Cheap Train Fares guide discussion - Page 55

New Post Advanced Search

Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

edited 8 March 2013 at 3:11PM in Public Transport & Cycling
1.1K replies 231K views

Replies

• Never use the trainline it's completely useless and charges hidden booking fees.

£15 is the lowest possible fare for the complete journey. The price can only go up.

There is a possible £9 fare for Cardiff - Birmingham New Street, then Birmingham-Hawthorns is £2 return (so £1 each way), making £10, but the £9 fare doesn't seem to be available on the 10th.
    Book at http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/
  • note_2note_2 Forumite
    169 posts
    hi mate,

i searched all cardiff stations to that birmingham station: 'Return from Cardiff Queen Street to Birmingham New Street change journey' - and it gives me the same £22.50 each way thing?

by the way i think £45 all in is a reasonable price, £15 seems too good to be true!

do you know where i'm going wrong? :D

thanks
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note wrote: »
    hi mate,

i searched all cardiff stations to that birmingham station: 'Return from Cardiff Queen Street to Birmingham New Street change journey' - and it gives me the same £22.50 each way thing?

by the way i think £45 all in is a reasonable price, £15 seems too good to be true!

do you know where i'm going wrong? :D

thanks

You are not going wrong. £15 is for one adult, one way. Add £7.50 for the child and then double to add the return journey makes the £45 all in.

The cheaper tickets (to Birmingham New Street) are not available on your travel date.
  • ahh ok.

thanks for your help . :D
  • just to let you know scotrail puts pensioners off the train, to wait on the next one. travellers aren't allowed to stay on the train when they
    buy split tickets, I phoned to ask about this and was told this was policy, they even said the ticket collector`s who didn't put travellers off at the mid station should be reprimanded. I just hope the person`s who made my 76 year old stand in the cold to save £2.00 feels happy with their jobsworth satisfaction, i`m just letting anyone to be aware of this .:(
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    neverstop wrote: »
    just to let you know scotrail puts pensioners off the train, to wait on the next one. travellers aren't allowed to stay on the train when they
    buy split tickets, I phoned to ask about this and was told this was policy, they even said the ticket collector`s who didn't put travellers off at the mid station should be reprimanded. I just hope the person`s who made my 76 year old stand in the cold to save £2.00 feels happy with their jobsworth satisfaction, i`m just letting anyone to be aware of this .:(
    This is highly unlikely to be true.

Providing the train calls at the station that you change from one ticket to the next, you may remain on board the same train that you would have done holding only one ticket.

You say Scotrail said it is their "policy", it is not. If you can PM me exact details of who you spoke to, and when, I will call them to enquire whether or not they really did say that. I would be shocked if they did.

All tickets are bound by the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Condition 19 allows you to combine "two or more tickets for one journey".

If one ticket is a Season and the other(s) is/are not, then the train does not even have to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next.
  • edited 19 September 2012 at 9:03PM
    dggardggar Forumite
    606 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 19 September 2012 at 9:03PM
    neverstop wrote: »
    just to let you know scotrail puts pensioners off the train, to wait on the next one. travellers aren't allowed to stay on the train when they

Is it just pensioners or anyone that has split tickets?

By the way the fares manual has the following section:

Q4. Can a customer buy two advance(tickets) which join together and form one journey? e.g. ticket for A-B plus ticket for B-C, to travel throughout journey A-C?
    A. Yes, provided the train calls at B.

on what train (date and time) and at which station did this incident occur
  • LivingthedreamLivingthedream Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm what Yorkie said, the Scotrail ticket examiner/conductor was very wrong and in my opinion needs some refresher training on the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

A strongly worded letter of complaint to Scotrail stating what happen on that train, give all relevant details ie times, dates, traveling to from and enclose your tickets and see what happens.

I'm sure you'll get a letter of apology with some compensation vouchers for your trouble.

ScotRail Customer Relations
    PO BOX 7030,
    Fort William,
    PH33 6WX

Out of interest what Scotrail services was it?
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • LivingthedreamLivingthedream Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    dggar wrote: »
    Q4. Can a customer buy two advance(tickets) which join together and form one journey? e.g. ticket for A-B plus ticket for B-C, to travel throughout journey A-C
    A. Yes, provided the train calls at B.

Not wanting to sound pedantic, but for forum users reading your quote, that rule also works for Anytime, Off Peak, Super Off Peak tickets as well.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • dggardggar Forumite
    606 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Not wanting to sound pedantic, but for forum users reading your quote, that rule also works for Anytime, Off Peak, Super Off Peak tickets as well.

Thanks for clarifing that.
    I took the quote from the section on advance tickets, I had assummed it applied to all tickets but didn't have the printed source to hand.