TheBunting's Starting From Scratch Savings Diary

Options

Comments

• TheBunting
    TheBunting Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So payday has arrived, I have my car payments done for this month and a couple of other things like digs, tickets etc to pay for so its a really tight week this week, no night out tomorrow, tighten the screw a bit to get back on track. However there is 5 pay days this month before my car payments again so that's a positive and will be paying off my other two tickets next week so after a weeks time I should be starting to save up some funds. Gonna be nothing special leading up until I get my pay rise in June/July but I am focussed. :)
    Goal is to Retire before I'm 40 (currently 30yo) 
  • TheBunting
    Options
    From this weeks wage I have managed to put away £230 after paying off various things. Another payday left I'm March so let's see what else I can come up with before totalling for March. Happy with that though :)
  • lalman
    lalman Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    What car have you got thebunting? How much did it cost you and how much is the financing for it?

Biggest mistake of my life was at 22 buying a brand new audi A3... 17k although was on 3.9% APR for about 5 years I paid for that.... (finished payments early)... but it was 20% of my net earnings... (I was earning 17k gross then).

On a slightly brighter note, at (coming up to 29) I still have the car... so getting as much value out of it as possible!

All my mates bought new motors at the time and I thought why not... but thinking back I just think I was being so stupid...

What I have been able to do now is with rental property - they earn me enough money to pay for car payments... if I ever wanted to go down that route again! (which I suspect I wont!)
    My Goal: From 1st of Jan 2015 to 31st of December 2015 is to save 30000.

48.78% towards 2015 target.

105.3% towards 2014 target. :j
  • TheBunting
    Options
    lalman wrote: »
    What car have you got thebunting? How much did it cost you and how much is the financing for it?

Biggest mistake of my life was at 22 buying a brand new audi A3... 17k although was on 3.9% APR for about 5 years I paid for that.... (finished payments early)... but it was 20% of my net earnings... (I was earning 17k gross then).

On a slightly brighter note, at (coming up to 29) I still have the car... so getting as much value out of it as possible!

All my mates bought new motors at the time and I thought why not... but thinking back I just think I was being so stupid...

What I have been able to do now is with rental property - they earn me enough money to pay for car payments... if I ever wanted to go down that route again! (which I suspect I wont!)

It's a Corsa Ecoflex. Saved up on 1st year wages for it (£180/week back then) and bought it brand new and paid the 1st years insurance off in one payment. Was chuffed when I managed that. It's costing my around £250 a month for that and the insurance as I am young and insurance stings a bit but the mileage on it is amazing and it's only £30 road tax and had no issues with it :).

Next August I am handing it in and thinking of getting a BMW or Audi on PCP deal. They will take my Corsa and hand me back a cheque with the value minus any existing finance which is good and I will get a new car on say a 3 year contract. I don't use a car enough anyway as I have a work van with diesel card.

Good idea, I would like to eventually have properties to rent out and make income but I would need my own house first :rotfl: but that's all still to come it's early days :p
  • bhughes1986
    Options
    TheBunting wrote: »
    ...and I will get a new car on say a 3 year contract. I don't use a car enough anyway as I have a work van with diesel card.

Why get a brand new car then? It will be a mistake, I have been there. Save the money, make it grow.
  • TheBunting
    Options
    Why get a brand new car then? It will be a mistake, I have been there. Save the money, make it grow.

Because then I am vulnerable to having to pay for MOTs and they won't be reliable as a new one I will get for 3 years with free warranty etc so it could be false economy.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's a reason they give 3 years free warranty - it's because most modern cars they don't expect to see back within that period so it's an (almost) meaningless promise.

Buy a 2 year old Hyundai with three years remaining on a 5 year warranty. If feeling particularly thrifty buy a 2 year old Kia with a massive 5 years warranty left......

You'll still have to put them through MoTs but put the money you are saving on the purchase/monthly lease costs in a car fund in a 3/4/5% interest rate bank account. If you don't need it over the next 3 - 5 years you can either treat yourself or push it into long term savings and start again with the next car.
  • TheBunting
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    There's a reason they give 3 years free warranty - it's because most modern cars they don't expect to see back within that period so it's an (almost) meaningless promise

You clearly don't know what the PCP deal is then.
    It only lasts 3 years. You get your new car, pay no deposit, hand in the old car you own and they hand you a cheque for the value of that car with your new one. Your on a 3 year contract with the new car and agree a mileage per year and after the 3 years you hand it back in and choose a new car. All you do is pay a monthly payment. For someone like me who doesn't use a car that much, this is a good idea as I'm not paying thousands to own a decent car for 2/3 years to sell it, lose money on it then spend even more for another new car. This is just like a leasing deal but they have some fantastic deals atm especially BMW. My mum, dad and brother all have PCP cars and prefer it over buying cars every day of the week.
  • seacaitch
    seacaitch Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 March 2015 at 1:24PM
    Options
    TheBunting wrote: »
    You clearly don't know what the PCP deal is then.
    It only lasts 3 years. You get your new car, pay no deposit, hand in the old car you own and they hand you a cheque for the value of that car with your new one. Your on a 3 year contract with the new car and agree a mileage per year and after the 3 years you hand it back in and choose a new car. All you do is pay a monthly payment. For someone like me who doesn't use a car that much, this is a good idea

You've got to be 'avin a giraffe!

New cars probably only stack up financially for a very few people for whom ultimate reliability and perhaps image are critical for their job/business. For everyone else, new cars, particularly those disposed of after a short period such as 3 years, are one of the most efficient ways ever invented of flushing away your money...

PCP financing changes none of the maths, just present the numbers in a more obfuscated way that makes it easier for consumers to deceive themselves. Do folks think the PCP finance companies are idiots or something? It's very much the opposite: these are sharp operators who are not in the business of subsidising consumers.

Let's face it: for many people who buy new cars it's really all about status anxiety and about how others perceive them. If you can rid yourself of all that bullshine, then over a lifetime you can save yourself a fortune - literally life-changing amounts of money.

If, as you say, you don't use a car that much (because you've a works' vehicle), then hosing away money on a new car is simply crazy - IMO :)

Confession: in the past 20 years I've only bought 2 cars, both very tidy ex-rentals, that had taken massive initial depreciation hits. I consider most cars to be a liability, and I'd rather own assets. All that money I've saved over those 20 years has been invested, compounding way, making me more and more money, not some car manufacturer, middleman or financing company.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think i have only ever bought 2 new cars. My current car is one of them, and I have owned it 11 years lol.

I buy late model used normally.

something the OP can think about in a few years once he has saved enough to buy a car for cash?

anyway, hopefully buying these cars will be the only foolish thing you do. Keep up with those savings.

Have you started your spending Diary? If not, start today (maybe back date a few days if you can remember lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure