I'm Back - and better! Final Push to Go...

Options

Comments

• zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    What a fantastic response Exerbusi2 - lots of brotherly love going on here between you and I. Must say that I enjoyed Hull last week. We took someone who is an amazing cook so each night we were there we actually ate in the apartment we had renting, saving money by going out and about.
    We've actually over the past year changed from drinking pints to halves. Reason for this is that we get to try double to amount of pubs in a short space of time! If we really like a place, we'll stay for another!
    I rang Sainsburys today, they have told me to resend the loan stuff to them as they haven't yet received it (sent on the 4th Feb!) and then I might do what you suggest.
    I did actually speak to Tesco and Zopa about 3 weeks ago about a F&F and yes I wrote it all down, it was like £500 off each debt basically. I might be wrong here but i think that Tescos said I could only request a F&F once a year, and that may have passed.. not the end of the world though I guess.
    The Tesco debt is actually about £7300 (not £8500 like you thought as that was end of Sep 16). I'll be updating my signature on the last working day of this month so it'll be 5 months to the day when i had my LBM. Is it sad that I'm excited for that day?

I love Bath - my friends live in Bradford-upon-Avon. It was extremely busy but it was around Xmas time. Give me a mulled wine and I'm very happy. I think we may try Winchester next.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • MoodyMel
    MoodyMel Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Exerbusi2 wrote: »
    Hi Mel! Thanks for the compliment! It hasn't always been easy and I've certainly learnt a lot along the way. The forum (and site as a whole) certainly helps.

Now, here's where my approach is perhaps slightly different to others. I'm a believer that the most positive way to get out of debt is to grow your income, rather than cut, cut and cut some more. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and all that.

Cutting your expenses is important. In fact, scrap that - it's vital. But by growing your income you can still enjoy a few luxuries.

I started by taking on some extra work outside of my normal job. I used that money to do two things...

1. Pay down debt quicker.
    2. Build some savings.

After a while my extra work became my full employment. I quit my job, started my business and haven't looked back.

There are people on the forum who would (perhaps rightly, depending on your thinking) use all of their available money to pay off debt, citing its expense as the reason. The logic being, if your debt is at, say 5% but your bank only pays you 0.1%, it's better value for money.

I get that, but I think there is something else at play.

Psychologically, it helps if we can see some kind of positive in life, and a growing saving pot is that. Additionally, if you use all of your available money to pay off debt, when 'life' happens and you have car costs etc, you've got no spare money and end up having to use debt to cover life costs.

Ergo - you remain in debt.

This is my thinking behind wanting to accrue some savings along the way. I obviously want to clear the debts, which is why I am here, but I have some debts set up on repayment plans already (they aren't accruing any interest) and feel that rather than overpay too much it would be better to overpay a smaller amount and save with the rest. I somehow feels more of a positive, rather then just the correction of a negative :)

It's in a normal account. I use it as a cash buffer for the business. Given the returns even from an ISA are terrible, I keep my cash at hand for business use and save the excess in the stock market where the dividends and share price growth means there are real returns.
    So I typically buy big, boring companies that pay a regular dividend. I do have a few growth shares (small companies you buy cheaply and gain a return from the shares going up in value).

I'm not willing to gamble on companies I don't really understand, so to give you a roundup of the kind of companies I own shares in....

Money Supermarket (who own this very site!)
    Vodafone
    Centrica (owns British Gas)
    NCC (Online security - had them years, bought them when the shares were pennies!)
    RBS (bought just after the collapse, so they are worth A LOT more than I paid for them!)
    National Grid
    Lloyds Bank (again, bought after the collapse)
    Tesco (again, after the accounting scandal)

I like big, stable companies and often buy when something goes wrong. If the business is fundamentally sound but is going through a bad patch, I buy them. Often the price is a temporary blip and given I tend to hold onto share for years, the prices always recovers in time.

I started through my bank. I bank with HSBC and use their 'Share Dealing' option. I can't remember if I had to register for the account or not (I started investing a few years ago) and I only buy shares when I see a company I like at a price I like.

I always re-invest the dividends too.

It's actually really fun (if you make good decisions that is!) Always do your research and only invest what you don't need.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the advice about the shares. I will definitely look into it as it is something I have wanted to do for a while. I think it is something my husband would like to get involved in too. I am trying to get him more involved in the finances so this would be an interesting and positive way to do this, rather than it just being all doom and gloom clearing debt.

Thank you :)
  • Exerbusi2
    Options
    No problem at all, Mel.

Here's the thing - make sure you DO IT! Don't just 'look into it' - take some positive action!

You'll be glad you did.
    Loan [STRIKE]£5000[/STRIKE] £0; Overdraft [STRIKE] £700[/STRIKE] £0
    Savings [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£1500; Share Portfolio [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£4000
    £0 Credit Card [STRIKE]£6800[/STRIKE] £1700
  • Exerbusi2
    Options
    What a fantastic response Exerbusi2 - lots of brotherly love going on here between you and I. Must say that I enjoyed Hull last week.
    There is quite the bromance isn't there eh?!

As for Hull, I've never been there but heard it's a nice place and actually a bit of a surprise when you're there!
    I rang Sainsburys today, they have told me to resend the loan stuff to them as they haven't yet received it (sent on the 4th Feb!) and then I might do what you suggest.
    What a pain in the backside eh? I'd ask for an email address and see if you scan the info over. That's what I'd do. The will have received the info, it's probably lost in a massive office!
    I did actually speak to Tesco and Zopa about 3 weeks ago about a F&F and yes I wrote it all down, it was like £500 off each debt basically.
    That's great news then - to save a grand on them collectively is pretty huge!
    I'll be updating my signature on the last working day of this month so it'll be 5 months to the day when i had my LBM. Is it sad that I'm excited for that day?
    Sad? Absolutely not! It's going to be a great moment where you'll be able to look back on what you've achieved so far!
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    I feel bad for hijacking your diary though Exerbusi2 so would you like me to start my own instead?!
    My partner owes me roughly £500 but he earns less than me and I know that he cannot afford to pay it back so I think I might let that one slide.
    Someone has contacted me regarding 3 of my candles and offered me £39 for 3 of them. They will come and collect them too. They probably cost me around £48 and I know they aren't going up in value. When someone comes and collects though it's great because a) I have zero transport, postage, packaging costs (not just money but time as well, bit like 'webuyanycar' sometimes time is more precious) and to get £39 on ebay would mean be attempting to sell them for £45 (then take off their charges).
    Have a great Sunday :)
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Exerbusi2
    Options
    Oh I don't mind you hijacking my thread at all - it's purpose is to serve as inspiration/ideas. It's also a place where I dump a few of my personal finance thoughts!

Selling the candles sounds like a good idea. Are you doing that through Facebook? How has the person seen them? It may be worth having a count around the house to see if there's anything else you can sell!

I have a weight lifting belt I want to sell (too much wine meant I bought the wrong one!) I think I might do that on Facebook. There's also a few other bits I can sell on there too.

Yesterday I went through my wardrobe and will give a lot to charity. I could sell most of the stuff - some of it even has tags! I quite like the karma boost of giving it away though! Plus, I'll never wear these clothes, but they'll make someone else really happy.

So, jobs for today (apart from exercise and being a Dad taxi) are to cook, have a look at things I can sell then get those listed!

If I could raise £50-£100 from that, it's all going on the CC!
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Phew - you don't mind so that's good.
    I've just attempted to do that whole 'quoting parts of the person's reply' and replying to individual bits (just like you do so well!) but it got the better of me!

I've put some candles on a Facebook East London buying/selling group and some other candle pages but I don't drive and they are quite heavy to take to the post office. Plus, noone insures against glass and I would just steer clear of it all and see if people will come and collect.
    I own about 400 candles. The RRP is £23.99 so it's quite a valuable asset. They are also a bit like Lego in pricing, in that they don't really depreciate and some I have go for about £80-100 each. I'm accepting offers of between £13-15 though for some of them. If someone is willing to drive to London, they'd get a really good deal if they bought a load of them.
  • Exerbusi2
    Options
    Wow - you've got a potential goldmine sat there with your candle collection! There's a chunk of the debt gone if you sell a few of those!

I was unexpectedly paid some money today, so I've paid a little extra of the CC (£77.50), bringing down the balance to a nice, round, £4,670.

My next goal is to get it below £4,000 which I'm hoping should be possible in April at some point. If I can manage that, I'll make my bigger payment (of around £1500) in late April and hope to be clear of the debt within the calendar year!

Wow. That'll feel special...
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Yes that absolutely will feel special.
    Good on you on being paid today. I still haven't had my £132 owed to me but that's ok, I can put that towards my budget/debt repayments in March.
    Tomorrow I get paid and as it currently stands I have a surplus of £300 left over. I have already given my sister £250 for Easter holidays, the rest will come out of our sibling fund (basically, we each put in £35 per month and put it towards doing something together) so I won't be touching any money in my current account whilst still paying debts off.
    I'm coming round to your thinking though... If this Sainsburys BT comes through, I might as well transfer the Tesco loan over, pay the minimum amounts off that for the 0% whilst overpaying the Zopaloan, thus reducing the interest on these loans.
    Onwards and upwards
  • Exerbusi2
    Options
    Sounds like an extra bit of progress!

What will you do with the extra £300? Will you be using it all on debt repayment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport