EON Standard tariff but..

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
My aged parents in law are on EONS standard rate tariff - which, I understand is soon to go - but only for those on Smart Meters and fixed deals ...
They are on a Standard variable rate tariff on a NORMAL meter - not a fixed deal - so I am assuming that their expensive tariff will continue ?
They will not change (we have tried to explain the "benefits" of changing suppliers and/or tariffs - but they won't budge !)

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Have you explained in £s per month / week ? You can lead a horse to water .............
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Have you explained in £s per month / week ? You can lead a horse to water .............
    https://www.eonenergy.com/blog/2017/September/goodbye-standard-variable-tariff?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjryXl__g1wIVxZ3tCh0QYgNSEAAYASACEgKxzvD_BwE

Yes of course we have - but they prefer to stay with E.on despite everything telling them to change (tariffs at least)
    I believe that being on a fixed tariff scares them for some reason - despite explaining to them - they believe that they are tying themselves in to a contract for years with massive exit fees !!
    Can someone please confirm that this only affects those on smart meters and pre-payment meters ?
    It only affects those who actively want to change as well - which, to me - is NOT good enough
    How many similar to my in-laws are there out there - being ripped off for years - yet being unwilling to change for various reasons ?
    They should be put on the cheapest tariff by default - unless they actively request to stay on the rip off tariff....
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Morning 50Twuncle,

Your parents in law can stay on the standard tariff, if that's what they'd like to do.

As you know, they could probably save some money by changing on to a different tariff.

They don't need to be in a contract for years, as we have one year tariffs[FONT=&quot] available [/FONT] at the moment and you don't pay an exit fee at all when moving from one E.ON tariff to another.

It may be worth having a look at the tariffs on the online account with them, so they can see what might be better for them.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Morning 50Twuncle,

Your parents in law can stay on the standard tariff, if that's what they'd like to do.

As you know, they could probably save some money by changing on to a different tariff.

They don't need to be in a contract for years, as we have one year tariffs[FONT=&quot] available [/FONT] at the moment and you don't pay an exit fee at all when moving from one E.ON tariff to another.

It may be worth having a look at the tariffs on the online account with them, so they can see what might be better for them.

Thank you

Helena
    I am aware of all of the above - it is my aged relatives that are stuck in their ways
    Could you please tell me - why, the default is not to change to cheapest tariff - rather than staying put ?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I am aware of all of the above - it is my aged relatives that are stuck in their ways
    Could you please tell me - why, the default is not to change to cheapest tariff - rather than staying put ?

I understand 50Twuncle,

It's really [FONT=&quot]because[/FONT] we can't enter customers in to a contractual tariff without them agreeing to it first and understanding the terms and conditions.

[FONT=&quot]We also let customers know if they could pay less on bills, statements and annual summaries.

Thank you

Helena[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 28 November 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    But surely if you are closing down standard variable accounts for some (pre paid meters etc) - you can do it for all.?
    And automatically put ALL customers on to the cheapest deal ?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is how they keep cheap tariffs available to the rest of us. They need their profit margins & frankly don't care if it comes from the most vulnerable in society or a millionaire. This may sound harsh but business is business & energy suppliers are businesses.
  • thorganby
    Options
    There is no "but" the problem is simply down to your in-laws paranoia and ignorance. You are expecting their supplier to protect your inheritance for you when like all businesses, they need to return a profit for their shareholders. Your in-laws have already been informed about various cheaper tariffs available to them without the need to change supplier but they obviously do not want to change from the standard variable tariff. The suppliers representative has fully explained the situation to you even though your in-laws content with their standard tariff.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's also worth noting, that as well as there being no penalty for switching tariffs internally at E.ON, there are three tariffs on offer from them that have no exit fees at all (Cap and track, 1 year fix v22 and 2 year v11). Not the best they offer, but still better than SVR.

I don't see why they would be worried about exit fees anyway, if they've no interest in switching. Still, if they insist on subsidising my cheap E.ON tariff, I'm not going to complain.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »

You are expecting their supplier to protect your inheritance for you

Nice one, thorganby. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income