Plusnet retentions - any luck? been offered ADSL £28.98or Fiibre for £33.98/month

Options
2»

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last October I moved to PlusNet , from Sky, as the deal was better,but I found the speed almost 2mbps slower (average 4.3 compared to 6.2 with Sky), which is a lot when speeds are so low anyway.

I intended to go back to Sky, this year, but their speed estimate is only up to 5mbps (possibly was this before but went the 'extra mile' ),so I'm considering staying with PN,depending on deal.

There have been few PN deals posted, compared to other providers,so I'm wondering about the current situation. My deal,soon to end, is free ADSL,line about £15.49 after paying in advance,99p caller display and £8 anytimes calls.

I can't access fibre and probably won't be able to within a year,so it has to be ADSL.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was with Plusnet Fibre 38Mb @ £23/month but left when they put their prices up a couple of months ago.

I'm now back with Sky ADSL (~8Mb) @ £9.50/month all-in

No regrets here :beer:

Scrounger
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Scrounger wrote: »
    I was with Plusnet Fibre 38Mb @ £23/month but left when they put their prices up a couple of months ago.

I'm now back with Sky ADSL (~8Mb) @ £9.50/month all-in

No regrets here :beer:

Scrounger
    Was that the MSE offer?

It's what I should have been paying last year. Free broadband and cheaper line, but someone made a mistake, booking just broadband, so I called immediately and a 'manager' offered me half price line which was £8.20 then £8.70.

I'm assuming you aren't including anytime calls.
  • Scrounger
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Was that the MSE offer?
    Yes
    I'm assuming you aren't including anytime calls.
    No inclusive calls (I could have added anytime calls for an additional £4/month :eek: ).

Thinking back, I remember you were dissatisfied with Plusnet and was surprised you didn't leave them and go with one of the MSE BT* deals?

[* - existing Sky TV customers were disqualified from that MSE Sky BB offer.]

Scrounger
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Yes

No inclusive calls (I could have added anytime calls for an additional £4/month :eek: ).

Thinking back, I remember you were dissatisfied with Plusnet and was surprised you didn't leave them and go with one of the MSE BT* deals?

[* - existing Sky TV customers were disqualified from that MSE Sky BB offer.]

Scrounger
    I was dissatisfied but once the drop outs were sorted could get by (had no drop outs since), as leaving would have cost a lot, at the time.

Now, as I've mention Sky predict the same range as PlusNet, so if the best deal is with them I may as well stay,there being no guarantee that Sky will provide over the stated limit,which was a lovely surprise at the time. That's why I ask about current deals, as there are lots of posts about Sky offers, but nothing recent about PlusNet. (May get a better tv deal, after cancelling, if I have no other service with Sky)
  • Scrounger
    Options
    I was dissatisfied but once the drop outs were sorted could get by (had no drop outs since), as leaving would have cost a lot...
    I don' t understand why you say "leaving would have cost a lot" when Plusnet would let you leave without penalty due to the price increases?

Plus there was a nice MSE/BT BB offer on at the time.

When I left Plusnet I had 5 months of LRS refunded and no '£30 cease fee' was charged. And I wasn't even (immediately) affected by the price rises (due to LRS).

My £75 Topcashback had paid out so no particular reason to stay any longer. :beer:

Scrounger
  • teddysmum
    Options
    I don' t understand why you say "leaving would have cost a lot" when Plusnet would let you leave without penalty due to the price increases?

Plus there was a nice MSE/BT BB offer on at the time.

When I left Plusnet I had 5 months of LRS refunded and no '£30 cease fee' was charged. And I wasn't even (immediately) affected by the price rises (due to LRS).

My £75 Topcashback had paid out so no particular reason to stay any longer. :beer:

Scrounger
    At the time of the increase my drop out problem was sorted and the Sky offer was not good, whereas the pre rise and unaffected PlusNet one was. I don't trust BT, having been with them before.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    I understand it is becomng more difficult to "negotiate" a good deal from them recently.
    Until May last year I was on £0/month ADSL and reduced line rental because of LRS.
    When fibre became available in my village I managed a 18 month deal at £11/month (40/2) plus line rental which works out, at present, to just over £26/month including evening and weekend calls (legacy) and 99p/month caller display.
    It will be interesting to see what they offer when the time comes.
    If they cannot beat my existing pricing then I'll be off. I don't like the 2mb/s upload but refuse to pay for the higher speeds connection when the 80mb/s is not required.
    I'm fortunately close to the cabinet so do receive near the maximum estimates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure